Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:57 PM   #1
Moto Pete

BRISNET PP Generator

As long as I've been around and as long as I've used BRISNET I never tried the PP Generator. I also haven't read ANY talk about it on message boards. Is it any good? I'm sure there are some here who use it.
Moto Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2014, 07:58 PM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

It is very good.
You can make different set ups as you like, I have one that replaces the times with the BRIS pace of winner figures, one that shows third fractions for turf races.....
I think there are more things you can do with it but not sure how.
Would welcome a discussion of how others set it up.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:59 PM   #3
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

I used it because I was able to print my speed and pace figures in the running line. I no longer make my own figures, but I still use it because it can be customized for my quirky way of handicapping, and I would hate to go back to handicapping without it.

The problem with it is it is legacy software that is no longer updated. This means you cannot add notes for cards you did not purchase using the software, (the programmers put in a Y2.012K bug), but there are workarounds for that problem. Also, I'm not sure it works with the current version of Windows, I'm still running XP.

~Alan Watts

Last edited by therussmeister; 06-01-2014 at 08:05 PM.
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2014, 07:59 PM   #4
SandyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto Pete
As long as I've been around and as long as I've used BRISNET I never tried the PP Generator. I also haven't read ANY talk about it on message boards. Is it any good? I'm sure there are some here who use it.
Has not been updated in years and will not work with Windows 7 or higher.
Will not work with 64 bit.
I can not understand why a company would let a software program that is this good just die.
Then again CDI owns BRIS and this program has nothing to do with slot machines.

Last edited by SandyW; 06-01-2014 at 08:02 PM.
SandyW is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2014, 08:05 PM   #5
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

I should add I had a really hard setting it up to print like I wanted it to, but that may be just me. The section where you adjust the print order and spacing either did not work right, or was just too counter-intuitive to me. I spent hours trying to get it to print acceptably. If you don't print, but read off the computer screen, that would be no problem.

~Alan Watts
Old 06-01-2014, 08:08 PM   #6
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyW
I can not understand why a company would let a software program that is this good just die.
They let it die because the original programmers retired. It should be replaced.

~Alan Watts
Old 06-01-2014, 08:19 PM   #7
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

This program is everything to me and I use it daily.
I also insert my own data into the running lines and use the NOTES feature extensively.

It is fantastic and I feel the same way as others in that this thing is basically dead & that's a shame.
I worked them hard to get the latest patch involving the NOTES feature, and they were very nice to find a workaround....but, they also informed me that they would not do anymore updates, patches, workarounds etc on this program.

I am scared to buy a new computer because I fear this program won't work.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:50 PM   #8
SandyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by therussmeister
They let it die because the original programmers retired. It should be replaced.
I don't think that it would take much to update this program, I am sure that CDI has computer programers on staff or if not pay someone to update it.

I think it use to be called customer service !!!

Last edited by SandyW; 06-01-2014 at 08:53 PM.
SandyW is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2014, 08:53 PM   #9
ldiatone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyW
it works on my Visita. Isnt that w7? also i can print with it also.
obtw if i want to use it, i download a one dollar file through "computrack" software and copy and past into the PP gen.

and now in Lancaster, CA.
ldiatone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2014, 09:03 PM   #10
BIG49010

I have Window 7, but 32bit, and it works fine.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:38 PM   #11
KyRacer

I've also used it for years. Like the ability to customize the pp's. After I take out the scratches, I print to a PDF file and open it with Foxit pdf reader. They look better there than viewing them inside the software. In one customization I removed the times and moved the comments closer to the finish position. I like it better.

I'm running it on a Windows 7 64 bit computer. My install log show that it could not self register the Vb5db.dll file. That maybe the problem for some, but I'm not sure. (Could not Self-Register: C:\Windows\System32\Vb5db.dll) But the program runs on my computer. I have the Vb5db.dll in my System 32 folder.

Added a pic as an attachment. Maybe.

Attached Images
File Type: gif ScreenHunter_52 Jun. 01 20.49.gif (89.7 KB, 528 views)

Last edited by KyRacer; 06-01-2014 at 09:50 PM.
KyRacer is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2014, 09:41 PM   #12
OverlayHunter

I'm confused. I've been using Custom PP Generator Version 2.40 on Windows 7 and Window 8 64 bit laptops with no problem but I only use it to look at and sometimes print the PP's. Is it the more advance features that don't work?
OverlayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2014, 09:59 PM   #13
Fingal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
It is very good.
You can make different set ups as you like, I have one that replaces the times with the BRIS pace of winner figures, one that shows third fractions for turf races.....
I think there are more things you can do with it but not sure how.
Would welcome a discussion of how others set it up.
It's it on both my desk & laptop computers, & they are Windows 7 64 bit. Had no problems loading the program except re-doing my filter settings from when it was on a Windows XP machine.

I really haven't changed too much in the settings except to create a "4 lines, 4 works " option. Then since I use the non contender feature under the system option on the menu to eliminate horses, I can usually get my 2 to 5 win contenders to print on 1 sheet of paper.
Fingal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-02-2014, 12:16 AM   #14
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
This program is everything to me and I use it daily.
I also insert my own data into the running lines and use the NOTES feature extensively.

It is fantastic and I feel the same way as others in that this thing is basically dead & that's a shame.
I worked them hard to get the latest patch involving the NOTES feature, and they were very nice to find a workaround....but, they also informed me that they would not do anymore updates, patches, workarounds etc on this program.

I am scared to buy a new computer because I fear this program won't work.
I'm scared to not buy a new computer, because I want to keep my two computers with PP generator on it working for as long as possible if it won't work with my new computer. I would use my present machines exclusively to run this program.

~Alan Watts
Old 06-02-2014, 01:30 AM   #15
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

Quote:
Originally Posted by therussmeister
I'm scared to not buy a new computer, because I want to keep my two computers with PP generator on it working for as long as possible if it won't work with my new computer. I would use my present machines exclusively to run this program.
Try putting the program exe on a flash drive! then you can see if it installs on the computer before you buy it to make sure it works.
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: