Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 03-25-2019, 02:41 PM   #1
jaxtrotter

$1 Exacta Boxes Better than $2 Quinella Boxes?

Quote:
But more and more tracks now offer $1 Exactas, and in the long run, a horseplayer is probably better off playing Exacta boxes as opposed to playing the Quinella.
https://turfnsport.com/quinella-wagering/

Question: Which tracks are offering $1 exactas and $2 Quinellas?

For example, Churchill's exactas are still $2. (maybe $1 online at others?) Usually have to wait for big races to get both exacta and quinella pools.

I tend to bet quinella boxes because they're cheaper and occasionally pay better.

This formula is helpful for determining whether a quinella or exacta box is better for 2 horses.
https://www.sportsbetting3.com/exact...ctaboxquinella

Q/E1 + Q/E2 <> 1, values >1 mean quinella is better.

Q = quinella, E1 = exacta, E2 = exacta box (reverse of E1)

Assuming a $15 quinella payout and $20 and $50, respectively for each exacta:

$15/$20 + $15/$50 = 1.05 > 1 = Go with Quinella in this case.

But having the ability to shop both bets is critical. Is online better for this?
jaxtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2019, 03:08 PM   #2
davew

what is a quinella box?

many dog tracks have both EX and QU, but some of the EX are $3

results need to show ticket price ... many times I see TRI $xxx.xx but do not know if it is $1 or $2.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2019, 03:21 PM   #3
jaxtrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
many times I see TRI $xxx.xx but do not know if it is $1 or $2.
Yep, that's what I'm unsure about.

Sometimes $1 Exacta bettors must divide the payout on the tote board by 2. Apparently tracks with both only list the $2. Not a big deal, easy enough.

Quinella Box = Quinellas with > 2 horses. So a 4 horse $2 Quinella would be $12.

Last edited by jaxtrotter; 03-25-2019 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:06 PM   #4
green80

It depends, all things be equal, sometimes the exacta is better and sometimes you will make more money for the same investment with a quinella, you just have to watch your pools.
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2019, 09:51 PM   #5
davew

You are usually better off if the longer shot wins with an exacta. If you are boxing a few with either bet, you should probably skip the race unless you are hoping to buy a couple long shots.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2019, 10:22 PM   #6
jaxtrotter

Thanks, appreciate your replies. The advice makes sense.

Need to do my research and watch the pools closely.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:41 PM   #7
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Quinellas become a better value whenever you have a prohibitive favorite that, in your opinion, should easily win the race. They often pay equivalent to, and in many cases at smaller tracks they pay more than, the exacta.

Otherwise it is simply a matter of board watching to catch value in quinella pools where a heavy favorite doesn’t exist.
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2019, 08:35 AM   #8
mike_123_ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxtrotter View Post
https://turfnsport.com/quinella-wagering/

Question: Which tracks are offering $1 exactas and $2 Quinellas?

To answer your question ... The attached file shows every wagering option offered through the HPI wagering platform (Canadian players only) and the associated takeouts. Hope this helps. Ignore the highlighted items as this was just my personal view to show value in lower takeout plays.

Hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf US Common Pool Regulations plus CND - 8.5x11 NEW.pdf (164.7 KB, 17 views)
mike_123_ca is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2019, 11:51 AM   #9
jaxtrotter

Thanks very much, that's very helpful.

Looking it over now.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:23 PM   #10
HalvOnHorseracing

I've said this before. It is ridiculous to have a quinella and exacta in the same race. Take out the quinella pool and as long as there are $1 exactas you'll get a larger pool, the idea being the money that would have gone to the quinella winds up instead in the exacta pool. One big pool is better that two small pools

There have been tracks that went exacta only with great success. They required a $2 minimum bet so you'd have to box the $1 exacta or bet one combination for more than a dollar.

My experience has been the $2 quinella usually pays about the same as a $1 exacta when the favorite wins. If the longer odds horse wins the $1 exacta box pays more than half.

In my opinion it is better to have money concentrated in fewer pools.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2019, 01:58 PM   #11
JohnGalt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
I've said this before. It is ridiculous to have a quinella and exacta in the same race. Take out the quinella pool and as long as there are $1 exactas you'll get a larger pool, the idea being the money that would have gone to the quinella winds up instead in the exacta pool. One big pool is better that two small pools

There have been tracks that went exacta only with great success. They required a $2 minimum bet so you'd have to box the $1 exacta or bet one combination for more than a dollar.

My experience has been the $2 quinella usually pays about the same as a $1 exacta when the favorite wins. If the longer odds horse wins the $1 exacta box pays more than half.

In my opinion it is better to have money concentrated in fewer pools.
Especially for tracks with smaller pools like Turf Paradise should only offer exactas.
JohnGalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply