Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 02-23-2018, 08:39 AM   #16
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
Let's just say that I have tried a few in my day, yeah. There are still some I haven't tried so I am making a bucket list. Eventually I would like to finish my own program and then maybe my collecting of handicapping software will be finished.
Thats cool HH....

I would love to make my own ..one day...if I ever learn a language..lol

if you ever need a partner , let me know

Mike
mikesal57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2018, 10:24 AM   #17
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMartin View Post
Can someone put some screenshots of what it looks like?
This might help:

http://www.thorotech.com/equisim/features.html
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2018, 11:44 AM   #18
mikesal57
Veteran

No messages or up-dates since 2010...

no chat room......

big incentive to send check....

looks like owner stepped away and hopes people buy an old program....
and hopes peeps not use credit card/ paypal ...so that they cant fight for their money back

this is a red flag for me...

Mike
Old 02-23-2018, 11:51 AM   #19
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesal57 View Post

no chat room......

and hopes peeps not use credit card/ paypal ...so that they cant fight for their money back

Mike
Credit cards and PayPal take a nice chunk out of your revenue.

Your unfounded allegations are disturbing, to say the least. I haven't heard one bad word about the product or the man behind it in all the years I've been running this board. And I'm fairly certain they have never advertised here, so it's not like I'm trying to protect an advertiser.

I appreciate a healthy skeptic more than anyone, but you seem to be looking for black clouds where none exist here.

Yes, it's an older program, and hasn't seen an update in quite some time, but that doesn't mean it isn't useful. As long as it still works, as at least one user here has already confirmed, I don't see the problem...ESPECIALLY since it appears he offers a FREE DEMO to let you try before you buy.

And if one is that worried about being stiffed after purchase, one CAN use PayPal...the difference in price is only $18...
Old 02-23-2018, 12:18 PM   #20
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:

no chat room......

Mike
The guy is a hundred percent stand up guy and a fantastic programmer. His life took a turn away from racing due to some personal tragedy and he took a job out of state and moved.

He worked for a government defense contractor if I remember

He was the real deal. I sat with him and watched him wager, including online with him while he hit a pick 6 at Fairgrounds

Many of us on this board would enter a chat room with him and play on Friday nights back in the day. Including a night where 7 Equisim users sucked up about 90% of the win pool and a trifecta pool, on a turf race, to the tune of about 35k if I remember right.

It was a different game then. I haven’t talked to him for a while, but he’s just being nice by still keeping the stuff up online. He’s not getting rich or ripping anybody off. I met him and his wife in person when I lived in Ohio. He’s a good guy.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:23 PM   #21
mikesal57
Veteran

PA,

This is my opinion, sir...people can heed or not!!!!
its up to them..

We recently had someone put up a web site that the product looked interesting to purchase

Someone ( respected on here TOM) bought it and now has to try and get his money back from PayPal....

Also you defended Pace-View , and people are waiting for their money back too..

So what the hell is wrong with putting up cautions????

Mike
Old 02-23-2018, 12:25 PM   #22
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
The guy is a hundred percent stand up guy and a fantastic programmer. His life took a turn away from racing due to some personal tragedy and he took a job out of state and moved.

He worked for a government defense contractor if I remember

He was the real deal. I sat with him and watched him wager, including online with him while he hit a pick 6 at Fairgrounds

Many of us on this board would enter a chat room with him and play on Friday nights back in the day. Including a night where 7 Equisim users sucked up about 90% of the win pool and a trifecta pool, on a turf race, to the tune of about 35k if I remember right.

It was a different game then. I haven’t talked to him for a while, but he’s just being nice by still keeping the stuff up online. He’s not getting rich or ripping anybody off. I met him and his wife in person when I lived in Ohio. He’s a good guy.
ThX FOR THE INFO...NOW PEOPLE CAN CHOOSE WHAT TO DO..

mIKE
Old 02-23-2018, 12:29 PM   #23
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
PA,

This is my opinion, sir...people can heed or not!!!!
its up to them..

We recently had someone put up a web site that the product looked interesting to purchase

Someone ( respected on here TOM) bought it and now has to try and get his money back from PayPal....

Also you defended Pace-View , and people are waiting for their money back too..

So what the hell is wrong with putting up cautions????

Mike
I defended pace-view? I don't think so sir...please point out to me where I told someone to ignore everything that was going on and buy the program anyway.

Didn't happen.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:34 PM   #24
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
I defended pace-view? I don't think so sir...please point out to me where I told someone to ignore everything that was going on and buy the program anyway.

Didn't happen.
I asked to close it several times....
Old 02-23-2018, 12:38 PM   #25
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
I asked to close it several times....
So? Was it not eventually closed?

People ask me to do things all the time here...sometimes I do them, other times I don't.

Obviously, when you first asked, I didn't think it was necessary.

And the only reason I closed it was the speculation about Greg was getting way out of hand.

Keeping the thread OPEN, and continuing to inform people about the actual status of the site and the program, would have been a better idea, without all the speculation about Greg himself.

Keeping people informed is a good thing.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:50 PM   #26
headhawg
crusty old guy

I certainly understand the skepticism and caution about EquiSim. If I didn't already own ES and didn't have some interaction with Nathan I would probably be thinking the same thing as mikesal. It's not a $20, $30, or even $50 program, so if anyone has doubts about a program that hasn't been updated in 7+ years then don't spend the money.

I gave my reasons for why I no longer use it, and it's certainly no "black-box-click-a-button-and-spit out-40% winners-at-a-$12 mutuel" kind of program. (Good luck finding that kind of software anyway.) I liked it a lot because the features it had suited my style of handicapping. That may not be true for others so try the demo. As JR said, Nathan is just not the kind of guy to rip people off. He probably doesn't care if he sells another copy of ES (nor do I care if someone buys it), but afaik he still supports it.

As with anything, caveat emptor.
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2018, 12:55 PM   #27
Vinnie

When I was a new user to Equisim and very new to the use of databases this "brilliant man" spent several hours of his own time on the phone with me explaining and breaking it down to me in a way that I the new user of his program and total novice where database structures are concerned could even easily understand. I can't think of the last time that I met someone as nearly brilliant, selfless, and equally classy as the programs developer is as a human being.

I have been in Federal Law enforcement for 27 years, and, with the intent of full disclosure, I work around people that are let's say less than newsworthy or noteworthy in their general approach in my immediate environment every day that I am on the job. I just feel compelled to say that the person being referred to in this post couldn't be from any further than he is from the opposite side of the spectrum than those folks previously mentioned. He is as "Good as it gets" and a total stand-up guy in every sense of the word.

Vinnie

"All Human error is impatience; a premature renunciation of method"- F. Kafka
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2018, 05:03 PM   #28
jk3521
Registered Loser

Back in the day when betting the horses was fun (and profitable) I also posted on the Equisim board. Add my thumbs up as to the honesty and level of product support provided by Nathan M.
jk3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2018, 06:17 PM   #29
JimG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post

JR,

I remember that night. It was sweet for sure. Add me to the list of people who would vouch for Nathan and Equisim. Like Ralph, I do not play the ponies much anymore except for helping a partner at times with online contests. When I do need to handicap some races, Equisim and JCapper are my software(s) of choice due to the fact they can be personalized via formulas and I have spent hundreds of hours over the years working with them. In this day and age of software, newer does not necessarily mean better, just newer.

Jim

Last edited by JimG; 02-23-2018 at 06:19 PM.
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2018, 07:31 PM   #30
Gentz

Equisim is a first class program whether you use the DB capabilities or not. Its worth it just for the Formula View. I just had to buy a new tablet and forgot my password to download and install Equisim 6.0 and Nathan promplty replied and sent me the link. Good program and good guy.
Gentz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: