Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-27-2017, 05:37 PM   #1
Catlaunch

Survey of Horse Racing Fans

Hi everyone. I am doing a study on North American Thoroughbred horseracing fans and their thoughts about animals for my Master’s thesis at Canisius College, in Buffalo, NY. I need horseracing fans to complete my survey. The survey should take approximately 10 minutes to complete. As an incentive for participating, you will have the opportunity to enter a drawing for a $25 Amazon gift card. All responses will be completely anonymous. PLEASE SHARE this with any North American Thoroughbred horseracing fans you know. Thank you for reading and (hopefully) for your participation. Here’s the link: http://canisius.co1.qualtrics.com/jf...NyczjBW7fcYExT
Catlaunch is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-27-2017, 06:28 PM   #2
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

I like your user name. Who couldn't share some love for ol' reliable Catlaunch?
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-28-2017, 12:55 AM   #3
CincyHorseplayer

I'll do the survey tomorrow as it's late but love the screen name. Catlaunch is an Ohio Bred legend!
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-28-2017, 08:46 AM   #4
Catlaunch

Thanks! And he is!
Old 10-28-2017, 08:49 AM   #5
Catlaunch

Thanks! And I agree!
Old 10-28-2017, 02:01 PM   #6
Afleet

This had me a little leery about taking the survey:

The goal of this project is to better understand North American Thoroughbred horseracing fans' attitudes to animals and empathy for animals.

Like PETA esque
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-29-2017, 05:43 PM   #7
Catlaunch

Not at all, Afleet. While I am interested in gauging racing fans' thoughts on animals (the program I am in, Anthrozoology, studies human/animal interactions), I am not coming at this from any certain perspective - certainly nothing PETA-esque. A little background on myself, if it makes you or anyone else who reads this feel better about taking the survey, I consider myself a horseracing fan (I've followed horseracing since I was a little girl in the 70s; Seattle Slew and Forego are my first racehorse loves) and even had my groom's license for a little while a few years ago. I really do encourage my fellow fans to take this survey with an open-mind and the knowledge that there is no agenda of any kind behind it. Thanks!
Old 10-29-2017, 09:45 PM   #8
alhattab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlaunch View Post
Hi everyone. I am doing a study on North American Thoroughbred horseracing fans and their thoughts about animals for my Master’s thesis at Canisius College, in Buffalo, NY. I need horseracing fans to complete my survey. The survey should take approximately 10 minutes to complete. As an incentive for participating, you will have the opportunity to enter a drawing for a $25 Amazon gift card. All responses will be completely anonymous. PLEASE SHARE this with any North American Thoroughbred horseracing fans you know. Thank you for reading and (hopefully) for your participation. Here’s the link: http://canisius.co1.qualtrics.com/jf...NyczjBW7fcYExT
I took a look Catlaunch and thought some of the questions were leading e.g., "the slaughter of whales and dolphins" and "it is unethical to breed..." so declined. Good luck with it!
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-30-2017, 03:13 PM   #9
Holybull1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhattab View Post
I took a look Catlaunch and thought some of the questions were leading e.g., "the slaughter of whales and dolphins" and "it is unethical to breed..." so declined. Good luck with it!
Agree. I got to the last of the survey where it asks “Racehorses are livestock that can be bought, sold, given away or otherwise disposed of as an owner sees fit”. I believe racehorses can be bought, sold, or given away. Do I think they can be disposed of? Of course not. You can make make the survey say whatever you want with these poor questions. Pass on this ridiculous survey.
Holybull1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-30-2017, 04:39 PM   #10
Inner Dirt

On some of the questions I thought they needed to be more specific. As an example. "Breeding animals for skins." Does that mean the skin will be used and everything else throw away? Or will the meat also be consumed by a human or another animal?
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-30-2017, 07:43 PM   #11
CincyHorseplayer

Done!
Old 10-30-2017, 07:45 PM   #12
CincyHorseplayer

I agree some of the questions were not specific enough or were worded in a way that would elicit a crappy reaction. But overall it was not that bad. I think much could be derived from our answers.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:04 PM   #13
senortout

some controversial aspects of such a survey

Well, peta or not, there are things that lurk in the back of the mind, whether or not we want to admit them or not!

If I do decide to respond to your query I will be more than honest.

Do tell more about the way you came to use that name on here!
senortout is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-30-2017, 08:58 PM   #14
Franco Santiago

Quote:
Originally Posted by senortout View Post
Well, peta or not, there are things that lurk in the back of the mind, whether or not we want to admit them or not!

If I do decide to respond to your query I will be more than honest.

Do tell more about the way you came to use that name on here!
"more" than honest. lol

I know you were just being rhetorical, but the phrase caught my eye....i.e. are there levels of honesty? I guess it depends on what the definition of "is" is, to quote a POTUS.
Franco Santiago is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-31-2017, 07:39 AM   #15
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

I did the survey. Sure, there were some statements that read like they came from the fringes, but the format was 'to what degree do you agree or disagree.' So I disagreed with some of them; strongly disagreed with some of them. And agreed with some as well. Seems harmless, overall.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply