Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-29-2007, 02:54 PM   #31
46zilzal
velocitician

Bravo.....Central control and coordination is long overdue. I would have thought that the U. of Arizona symposia would have addressed this long ago, but nope.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:04 PM   #32
Greyfox

Ain't Gonna Happen.

D.S. Is absolutely right.
I've said the same for years. Get Professional!!!!
A National Organization coordinating tracks and races, a commissioner over seeing discipline, promotion etc. are required.
Wouldn't it be nice to see races coordinated in terms of presentation?
Belmont 1200 Calder 12:10 Churchill 12:20 Phil 12:30 (repeat cycle).
But...just like the take out problem - It ain't gonna happen.
Every State has their own gaming rules and racing commissions.
Nothing less than some type of federally sponsored restructuring needs to be.
As it is now you've got a jockey banned at Tampa, riding a State or two over.
That fact that different jurisdictions honored Asmussen's suspension was good, but not due to National Coordination.
Alas, shouting it from the rooftops just makes me Walter Mitty. A dreamer.
Ain't gonna happen.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2007, 03:15 PM   #33
Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
Alas, shouting it from the rooftops just makes me Walter Mitty. A dreamer.
Ain't gonna happen.
And that is unfortunate. Racetracks and horsemen live for today and not tomorrow. Lack of foresight has been what has caused this. Lack of foresight will continue to haunt this game.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2007, 04:31 PM   #34
K9Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by betovernetcapper
Great thread.

What's amazing to me is that selling the signal to PTC would allow tracks to keep their current take out and they are reluctant to sell the signal.
My understanding is that the host track only gets about 3% take when bets are made elsewhere. So PTC get 17-20%, the track only 3.
K9Pup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2007, 05:34 PM   #35
Cangamble
Agitator

Never say never. Look at a track like Fort Erie where over half of the purse money comes from slots. It used to be 3/4's. They do a regular handle of 600k on a Sunday, and maybe 1 million on Mondays and Tuesdays, but usually on 100k is from on track. Most of it comes from other places where they only make ?2.5-5%? for their signal. Sure they also make a big chunk (the takeout minus the signal fee) from bets made at Fort Erie on other tracks (maybe 50-100k a day, I'm guessing).

My point is that many smaller tracks are living on slots plus the majority of bets at 2.5-5% commission.

Even the big tracks are accepting those low amounts. They used to think it was free money, but really it isn't.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:38 PM   #36
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cangamble
My point is that many smaller tracks are living on slots plus the majority of bets at 2.5-5% commission.

They used to think it was free money, but really it isn't.
If they wouldn't get a nickel from outside with no sent signal, what else could you call it but "free money?"
Old 06-29-2007, 05:44 PM   #37
Cangamble
Agitator

It is a tradeoff. They let someone have their signal and they take another's signal.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:58 PM   #38
Premier Turf Club
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Pup
My understanding is that the host track only gets about 3% take when bets are made elsewhere. So PTC get 17-20%, the track only 3.
That 3% number is pretty much ancient history. The bigger tracks are charging 6-8%, the smaller ones 4-5%. More importantly, the tracks pricing model has driven GIGANTIC amounts of handle to the illegal bookmakers. The consultants we hired to look at that issue last fall determined that amount was approximately $4.0 billion. We've heard that with the signals wars, that handle is up by nearly 20%, meaning bookmakers will do approximately $5.0 billion this year. That number doesn't include the betting exchanges.

Even using a blended 4%, that translates into $200,000,000 in increased signal fees. IMHO, at this rate the signal leakage will put the industry out of business within five years. For some tracks, it could be sooner that.

And for the record, we don't make anywhere near 17-20%. We've got at least 5% in overhead. It also ignores the fact that our model is based upon returning a % of the take back to the players to bring their money BACK INTO THE POOLS. Any rewards we provide end up get re-wagered, increasing handle even further.

There's an old saying we like to use on the trading floor "pigs get fed, hogs get slaughtered."

Last edited by Premier Turf Club; 06-29-2007 at 07:01 PM.
Premier Turf Club is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2007, 07:42 PM   #39
gIracing

speaking of, I have a question that will probably sound stupid, but It's time I ask. I literarly dont' know. it's too confusing

when I make a bet say on TVG for instance. does that go into a it's OWN pool or does it go into the same pool as the track? I know you get paid track odds, but is it actually the same pool?
gIracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2007, 08:06 PM   #40
Dave Schwartz

It goes to the track, into the same pool that everyone else is betting into.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2007, 08:14 PM   #41
DanG
Easy Goer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier Turf Club
That 3% number is pretty much ancient history. The bigger tracks are charging 6-8%, the smaller ones 4-5%. More importantly, the tracks pricing model has driven GIGANTIC amounts of handle to the illegal bookmakers. The consultants we hired to look at that issue last fall determined that amount was approximately $4.0 billion. We've heard that with the signals wars, that handle is up by nearly 20%, meaning bookmakers will do approximately $5.0 billion this year. That number doesn't include the betting exchanges.
Ian,

I couldn’t agree more.

I think you’re the first I’ve heard who put a realistic # on that figure and I honestly think that might even be light. The pie is so much larger than the powers at be can fathom, if only we could appoint you czar our pools would soar.
~ George Bernard Shaw
DanG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2007, 09:09 PM   #42
gIracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz
It goes to the track, into the same pool that everyone else is betting into.
making sure, that's what I thought.
gIracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-30-2007, 12:54 AM   #43
TrackManSam

Rebate Shops have just about done as much to kill this game as anything. They can offer the big rebates and the tracks can't because the tracks have one strike against them the rebate shops don't. It's called OVERHEAD!
TrackManSam is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-30-2007, 01:16 AM   #44
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG
Ian,

I couldn’t agree more.

The pie is so much larger than the powers at be can fathom, if only we could appoint you czar our pools would soar.
How? How could the pools soar?
Old 06-30-2007, 01:19 AM   #45
46zilzal
velocitician

I see all of these stunts. We had a hole in one golf deal two weeks ago, give aways, diaper derby, hat contests......In the long run that doesn't bring out bettors.

The product has to be better, with education for the people wagering their money.