Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 05-28-2018, 10:19 PM   #46
TiffaniO
Queen B

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I'd have to refresh by reading to be sure, and I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but I don't think Crist ever advocated for using the ABC method to hit the P6 multiple times. I don't even think the P5 was a common bet back then but I doubt he would have advised that be played for multiple winning tickets either.
I’ve seen his live blogs on big days with his selections using the ABC method on pick 4s and pick 5s. Like I said, I never read the book but seeing the live blog showed me all I wanted to see.
TiffaniO is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2018, 10:21 PM   #47
Denny
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Well for a big stick playa like yourself with that wad of cash bankroll it probably does not make sense to pair down your tickets using that type of method.

to each their own.
You've got me mixed up with someone else.
For any level player it's bad.
How many times have you had all the winners, but, on different tickets?
It's awful advice for players of every level.

Crist was the guy with the big bankroll btw.
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2018, 10:33 PM   #48
Denny
Veteran

Quote:
I'd have to refresh by reading to be sure, and I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but I don't think Crist ever advocated for using the ABC method to hit the P6 multiple times. I don't even think the P5 was a common bet back then but I doubt he would have advised that be played for multiple winning tickets either.
CJ,

The ABC method advocates betting more on some combos than others.
AND
More importantly, it leaves out less likely combinations, even though you consider the horse a possible winner. The type of combos people sweep pools with, like Tiffany just did.
Or hit Rainbow/Jackpot bets with.
Think they would win leaving out multiple B's or C's?
I don't.

Crist's method is just plain awful.
He misses the P6 in the book because of it!
Reread the book if you don't believe me.
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2018, 10:41 PM   #49
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
You've got me mixed up with someone else.
For any level player it's bad.
How many times have you had all the winners, but, on different tickets?
It's awful advice for players of every level.

Crist was the guy with the big bankroll btw.
But lets take the original P4 ticket in this case

lets say adding a 5th leg and a 6th leg

lets say its conservative 3x4, that totals 1440 combinations at $2880.

I get what your saying that you may miss some scores, but 3k pick 6 tickets, and even then the coverage on that ticket is a bit thin. You can go weeks and months without a big pick 6 score, at 3k a day, well, good luck.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2018, 10:57 PM   #50
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadVindication View Post
Congrats and well-played gal!

I tackled the futile Pick 6 at Churchill today and painfully two of my long shot picks came in 2nd leaving me at 3 for 5. Hurts especially since I picked only 3 and 2 horses those races. I think I'm gonna stick to pick 3 to 5's

I definitely believe it's more than just luck, you earned it.
I lost the last leg today of the pick 6@CD sitting on 5 for 5 when the ran second in the last; was live to ,,. I was excited to say the least, then the kick to the balls. I never saw the probable for the , but the was $8k+. Thought at the top of the lane he might steal it.

ticket cost $100.80

Last edited by Afleet; 05-28-2018 at 11:00 PM.
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2018, 10:58 PM   #51
Afleet

Very nice hit-that is serious handicapping
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2018, 11:14 PM   #52
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffaniO View Post
I’ve seen his live blogs on big days with his selections using the ABC method on pick 4s and pick 5s. Like I said, I never read the book but seeing the live blog showed me all I wanted to see.
He isn't using the ABC method to hit a Pick 5 multiple times which is what you stated. Pick 4, I don't really remember on that one. It is more about ticket cost.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2018, 11:33 PM   #53
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
CJ,

The ABC method advocates betting more on some combos than others.
AND
More importantly, it leaves out less likely combinations, even though you consider the horse a possible winner. The type of combos people sweep pools with, like Tiffany just did.
Or hit Rainbow/Jackpot bets with.
Think they would win leaving out multiple B's or C's?
I don't.

Crist's method is just plain awful.
He misses the P6 in the book because of it!
Reread the book if you don't believe me.
I think I know more about the method than you guys knocking it and I don't even play P6s. He used it to make ticket cost more reasonable for P6 bets, not to play more on some combos than others. Every combo would have the same amount.

In P3s, and maybe P4s, he probably putting different amount on different combos and it makes sense. I don't think P5s were around when he wrote the book but I would think he treats it like a P6, just trying to hit it, not play varying amounts.

As for Rainbow tickets, I'm sure those bets didn't even exist when he wrote his book and I doubt he would ever play one of them accept on a mandatory payout day.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:40 PM   #54
TiffaniO
Queen B

Quote:
He isn't using the ABC method to hit a Pick 5 multiple times which is what you stated. Pick 4, I don't really remember on that one. It is more about ticket cost.

Actually look at these screenshots... on the one photo he even states “I need 2 of 3 singles”. Which means, if all 3 singles would win he would have multiple tickets alive to the same horses.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CF8AC204-8FBB-410E-B02D-A735195C17F9.jpg (380.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpeg 9FBD603D-1CEA-47FD-AF66-ED5B69671F86.jpeg (307.8 KB, 18 views)
Old 05-28-2018, 11:51 PM   #55
TiffaniO
Queen B

And yet another example... if all As win, he’d have multilple tickets.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 733CFA4B-0A0D-4A5A-B3BD-FA0448EFAE88.jpeg (391.9 KB, 17 views)
Old 05-28-2018, 11:59 PM   #56
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Nice hit Tiffani...! Now you have some more bucks to make even more scores like that one...!
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2018, 12:03 AM   #57
TiffaniO
Queen B

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
Nice hit Tiffani...! Now you have some more bucks to make even more scores like that one...!
Thanks Vigor’s. I actually paid off my car with the first score on the Derby and with this’s one I’m putting a high percentage into savings. I plan on keeping about $4500 for play and vacation money
Old 05-29-2018, 12:08 AM   #58
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Actually look at these screenshots... on the one photo he even states “I need 2 of 3 singles”. Which means, if all 3 singles would win he would have multiple tickets alive to the same horses.
That is a mandatory payout day, assuming it is a jackpot bet, so playing it to have multiple tickets makes some sense I would say. Agree?
Old 05-29-2018, 12:21 AM   #59
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
And yet another example... if all As win, he’d have multilple tickets.
On this one, as I've said, he didn't write about P5s in the book as I remember as they basically didn't exist most places. If I would have to guess as to why he is playing with a chance to get multiple wins here it is because of the 50 cent minimum on the bet.

All I'm saying is there is nothing wrong with Crist's ABC system. The guy has cashed more P6 tickets than most people ever will. So it works for him and he passes it along. If people don't want to use it, that is their choice. Maybe there are better ways. I don't doubt it for a second. But he doesn't deserve getting ripped on IMO.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:24 AM   #60
TiffaniO
Queen B

Quote:
Quote:
That is a mandatory payout day, assuming it is a jackpot bet, so playing it to have multiple tickets makes some sense I would say. Agree?
These screen shots were from years ago before jackpot bets became prevalent.