Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-06-2018, 12:03 AM   #31
clicknow

I think I'd rather watch Johnny W. than some of the absolute "clowns" on TVG -I haven't seen it in years and years, but those guys "Todd and Matt" who were on when I had it would be better placed at some freshman frat boy partiy than serious horse racing commentary.
I love Jenny Chapman at HKJC --- she is a stellar paddock and form analyst...I have learned so much about physicality and conformation listening to her.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2018, 12:20 AM   #32
clicknow

duplicate

Last edited by clicknow; 05-06-2018 at 12:24 AM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2018, 12:30 AM   #33
NJ Stinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal6 View Post
To people bitching about the telecast: Kick rocks. This sport needs all the exposure it can get. You don't like exposes about juleps and hats? Don't watch.

Would you have liked the telecast to drool over how wet the track was and give updates and tips on the track bias or actually watch the races and form an opinion yourself?

Stupid thread. If you need to watch the telecast to get your info on the track and how it's playing you're just as lost at the rest of us. Had the telecast been about the dosage index and last Derby prep of all the horses who would really care other than die hard that already had that info?
Fact: Race 4 was running but nobody saw it. Yea, we saw Pincay, Moss, and Bailey try not show disgust with the decision to skip the race running behind them.

Who would allow such a thing to happen on the biggest day in American racing?

Strike 1 goes to CD for not insisting on all their races be shown in the TV contract.
Strike 2 goes to people in charge at NBC who don't think the horse races matter.
Strike 3 goes to any "racing fan" who accepts whatever crap CD and NBC puts out there and says I'm somehow supposed to too.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:33 AM   #34
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
The homophobia gets old after a while. You know?

Come up with some new material...this site is supposed to be entertaining...not supposed to put me to sleep with repetitive nonsense.
I’ve talked to gay men who can’t stand Weir. They think he’s a walking talking caricature of a gay man. You have to admit he’s over the top.

I don’t think they were being homophobic.....and they used the same language. Not so sure “flamer” is always pejorative
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2018, 01:31 AM   #35
Benni

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGarMan View Post
Not to stir the pot, but perhaps I can offer a slightly different take...

I'll be the first to admit, I can't STAND the Johnny Wierdo and Tara bits. They are horrific. I literally cannot watch.

HOWEVER, a major world wide network gives our sport FOUR HOURS of much needed exposure and all you guys see is the negative in this?

To most of my friends, horse racing is talked about on maybe 3 days a year...

Like it or not , part of the appeal of the Derby and horse racing in general is indeed the lifestyle bits. Getting dressed up, big hats, fancy suits, the celebrities, the food, the mint julep, etc. It might be the only thing keeping the "Big Days" on national television. I can tell you it's one of the reasons my wife and son accompany me to the racetrack.

The average viewer doesn't care about the setting of the turf rail, but Ms. Suzie Homemaker can now tell you how to make a sweet azz Woodford Reserve Mint Julep, so that's got to be worth something? Remember, they are not gearing the coverage to hard core 365 day a year horse players.

So yea, they could certainly throw in a little more racing information, but they are trying to appeal to and grow a mass audience. The "puff pieces" are a small price to pay for 4 hours of desperately needed network exposure.

In this day and age, we need to make horse racing appealing and available to as many folks as possible. Even if it means sitting through a cooking segment.

And that's my 2 cents.
Agreed. While I cannot stand the Tara and Johnny crap (I'm sure some viewers find entertaining) I'm very happy that NBC broadcast the races, undercard and otherwise, FIVE hours (2:30-7:30) on NBC. That's a huge positive for engaging folks to watch racing. Now, if someone can just reduce the times between races that would captivate even more. Maybe the filler stuff serves a purpose, to keep people engaged.

I have both TVG and TVG2 and I'm grateful that if they could not broadcast all the races at least NBC did so. The mute button works great. And even with the LONG stretches between races use that mute button and peruse the internet for racing info and comments. No big deal.
Benni is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2018, 01:44 AM   #36
Benni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
@TheGarMan

So you're defending 4 hours of nonsense, over having good coverage of the races? That just seems wrong to me. You wouldn't have to pander to the lowest common denominator if they actually made coverage worth watching.

It's a beautiful sport and it doesn't need a facade to fool people on one of it's marque days. Why masquerade behind false pretenses and sell horse racing as something it's not?

To each their own I guess. I just don't think their bs coverage is helping the sport at all.
Nonsense? when there is 45-50 minutes between races and many of the audience watching this are not regular racing enthusiasts, what are they supposed to fill that time with?

How many times can they discuss racing strategies and statistics during five hours? I heard the same things over and over again about all the horses in each race, especially the KY Derby, they were just on a repeat loop.

This is network TV, they are trying to attract and hold the interest of viewers who are not every day racing enthusiasts/handicappers/fans. The mute button works very well for those who dislike the fluff bits about fashion, human interest stories, and how horses got their names. I will say that segment about the carnitas tacos was interesting. Yum!
Benni is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2018, 07:32 AM   #37
TheGarMan

Quote:
@TheGarMan

So you're defending 4 hours of nonsense, over having good coverage of the races? That just seems wrong to me. You wouldn't have to pander to the lowest common denominator if they actually made coverage worth watching.

It's a beautiful sport and it doesn't need a facade to fool people on one of it's marque days. Why masquerade behind false pretenses and sell horse racing as something it's not?

To each their own I guess. I just don't think their bs coverage is helping the sport at all.

Yea, I suppose I am defending them a little.

Lets be honest, if they did the broadcast with only sharp handicappers and pure horseplayer angles, there would be literally HUNDREDS of us tuned it...

Instead, they fill the long stretches of downtime between races with their silly "puff pieces" for Mr & Mrs Homemaker , and they draw 10's of millions. they get good ratings, and sign on to do it again next year.

Not saying I like it, but it's probably the price we pay to get major network exposure 3 or 4 times a year.

As a compromise, Tara can stay, Johnny Wierdo needs to go

Thank god for Eddie O, he represents "us" during the broadcast.

G

Last edited by TheGarMan; 05-06-2018 at 07:36 AM.
TheGarMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2018, 11:43 AM   #38
PointGiven

Some thoughts in no particular order. Some inspired by conversation here, but not directed at anyone specifically:

I am grateful for the national coverage. We need it. I get that they are broadcasting to a general audience. Hours of fraction breakdowns or the like won't go over to well.

I am ok with the " fun" stuff. How to make a mint julep, food, etc. Also the celebrity part. That's just part of society now.

I like the features. The one on the fires was very moving. I like the stories. You have to get folks to care for the horses and people involved if you want to get folks to follow past the once a year party thing. Ultimately the goal should be for folks to want to watch more and decide to attend a race in person.

I would think NBC would want to develop interest. They have paid to broadcast. One area I was particularly disappointed in was their streaming. That's also how it is today. I clicked on their website. Got something that said you have 7 more minutes free then input your information. That's fine for ESPN. But you're an over the air network. People can get you with rabbit ears. Except it's not 1970. Streaming isn't the wave of the future, it's been here.

Speaking of ESPN, someone needs to remind Mike He doesn't work for the a anymore. That mess about Pinto being fired and fbi was uncalled for.

And that where I land on Tara and Johhny. I couldn't care less he is gay. But don't turn our biggest national moment into a clown show. It disrespectful and you don't do it to other sports.

Some of the features need to focus on aftercare. We have a perception and fake news problem of our own. I belong to another horse site that is focused not on racing but all things horse. Even among horse people the first thing brought up when slaughter is discussed is racing. Don't have not mention it specifically,but show aftercare and efforts.

Last edited by PointGiven; 05-06-2018 at 11:44 AM.
PointGiven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2018, 11:46 AM   #39
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

NBC made Todd Schrupp and TVG look very professional yesterday.
I believe this is one of the signs of the End of Days.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:54 AM   #40
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
I’ve talked to gay men who can’t stand Weir. They think he’s a walking talking caricature of a gay man. You have to admit he’s over the top.

I don’t think they were being homophobic.....and they used the same language. Not so sure “flamer” is always pejorative
If he weren't over the top, he wouldn't be on TV.

Anyway, there's all kinds of people in this world, and nobody on earth likes everyone, so I get it.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:57 AM   #41
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointGiven View Post
Some thoughts in no particular order. Some inspired by conversation here, but not directed at anyone specifically:

I am grateful for the national coverage. We need it. I get that they are broadcasting to a general audience. Hours of fraction breakdowns or the like won't go over to well.

I am ok with the " fun" stuff. How to make a mint julep, food, etc. Also the celebrity part. That's just part of society now.

I like the features. The one on the fires was very moving. I like the stories. You have to get folks to care for the horses and people involved if you want to get folks to follow past the once a year party thing. Ultimately the goal should be for folks to want to watch more and decide to attend a race in person.

I would think NBC would want to develop interest. They have paid to broadcast. One area I was particularly disappointed in was their streaming. That's also how it is today. I clicked on their website. Got something that said you have 7 more minutes free then input your information. That's fine for ESPN. But you're an over the air network. People can get you with rabbit ears. Except it's not 1970. Streaming isn't the wave of the future, it's been here.

Speaking of ESPN, someone needs to remind Mike He doesn't work for the a anymore. That mess about Pinto being fired and fbi was uncalled for.

And that where I land on Tara and Johhny. I couldn't care less he is gay. But don't turn our biggest national moment into a clown show. It disrespectful and you don't do it to other sports.

Some of the features need to focus on aftercare. We have a perception and fake news problem of our own. I belong to another horse site that is focused not on racing but all things horse. Even among horse people the first thing brought up when slaughter is discussed is racing. Don't have not mention it specifically,but show aftercare and efforts.
Tara and Johnny do Olympic figure skating and do the same act. And ABC once put Dennis Miller on football.

The network pays the money and has the right to disrespect our sport any way they wish to get viewers.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2018, 11:58 AM   #42
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post

Forget over the top, forget gay...

What I don't get, is who came up with the idea that having these two as co-hosts makes sense for a RACING TELECAST?

I have never understood that one.

What else do these two do other than racing shows on NBC? Do they do the Oscars red carpet? That's where they might be more appropriate with all the fashion crap.

I know, I know, it's the Derby and everyone gets dressed up for it...but it never gelled for me - the "serious" sports/handicapping guys mixed with Tara & Johnny.

BTW, did Twitter erupt after Mike Tirico said "we have to put up with THIS all day?"

I know he was joking, but in this current environment, I was worried he was going to be labeled a homophobe and fired 2 minutes later...
Old 05-06-2018, 12:04 PM   #43
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Forget over the top, forget gay...

What I don't get, is who came up with the idea that having these two as co-hosts makes sense for a RACING TELECAST?

I have never understood that one.

What else do these two do other than racing shows on NBC? Do they do the Oscars red carpet? That's where they might be more appropriate with all the fashion crap.

I know, I know, it's the Derby and everyone gets dressed up for it...but it never gelled for me - the "serious" sports/handicapping guys mixed with Tara & Johnny.

BTW, did Twitter erupt after Mike Tirico said "we have to put up with THIS all day?"

I know he was joking, but in this current environment, I was worried he was going to be labeled a homophobe and fired 2 minutes later...
The race is 2 minutes. They have tons of time to fill.

That is the basic problem with all horse racing on television.

The Derby is actually now one of the biggest events of the fashion world, and, yes, some portion of the audience does tune in for the pageantry. Johnnie and Tara may not be the perfect way to capture that, but it would be stupid for NBC to abandon that audience to focus on handicappers (who as a class I bet are not even a good demographic for advertisers).
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2018, 12:07 PM   #44
Inner Dirt

Quote:
@TheGarMan

I give them a pass on most of the derby coverage as it kind of mirrors the crowd that attends. I don't know the proper terminology to describe the fact that events like the Kentucky Derby do not attract the typical fan of the sporting event that takes place. I only went once in 1999 and it became instantly obvious serious horse players represented a very low percentage of the people in attendance. We were stuck in the infield, due to not planning well enough in advance. I would say only 10% of the infield crowd had a racing form and some didn't even have a program. I am pretty sure a lot of people didn't even place a bet. The infield was like a huge drunken college frat party and my friend and I in our late 30's were definitely out of place.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2018, 12:09 PM   #45
CincyHorseplayer

Pretty basic here. The Derby telecast is only about the derby and is meant for people who don't give a crap about horse racing but want to be attached the the buzz about the event. I don't have any problems with the show. And even though I have gay friends I don't want to hear about fashion BS when there is a post parade at hand! This is the derby show for non horse racing fans. Once you get that it doesn't really piss you off. You celebrate it for being fluff BS!
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply