Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:56 PM   #1
SOUTHERN SLEW

JCAPPER LIGHTS UP THE TOTE BOARD WITH $75 BOMB AT SARATOGA

Just wanted to drop a few lines regarding the JCapper handicapping software. I have been using the program now for 2 years, it was not an easy journey and I must admit that there were times I thought of asking Jeff for a refund, but he offers excellent customer service and it was during those hour long conversations with Jeff that I benefited the most at improving my handicapping skills.

The first few days at Saratoga I went 2 or 3 days with only 2 winners, I placed a call to Jeff which to me is like placing a call to Bill Gates at Microsoft. The best and most interesting lessons I have learned from Jeff is not that he answers all my questions to my complete satisfaction, he often times leave me even more confused, but I learned that the key to success is to become a good listener and what really fired me up is that he told me to exercise patience, dont deviate from my research when you start losing and most of all have confidence in yourself. Believe it or not but often times thats the response I get even after asking more than 20 handicapping questions, and this is true, there was a time I emailed Jeff with 40 questions as I was completely frustrated.

Anyhow the very next day on 7/29 in the 6th race my UDM selected the #3 horse at 3-1 on top and the #2 horse at 36-1 as the 2nd choice, the rest is history it came is 2-3 for a $204 exacta
And if you thought that was a fluke will it came right back in the 7th race and selected only 1 horse the #4 at 6-1, he won paying $15, the 2-4 Daily double paid $767.
I had the winner of the 8th race but icing on the cake was the 9th and final race, the #9 at 14-1 lit up my computer in bright yellow colors just like it did with the winner in the 6th race, a monster overlay and a great value bet, he won paying $31.

The rest of the meet to date has been spectacular with several bombs over 10-1, including the the winner of the Ruffian Invitational on 7/31 in the 9th race at odds of 18-1, then in the 10th race it selected the first 4 finishers in exact order, the triple paid $169 and the superfecta paid $656.

I just completed my weekend of handicapping at Saratoga today 8/1, starting out the day losing the 1st race, but came right back in the 2nd with a 12-1 Linda Rice bomb and a cold 5-8 exacta paying $143, struggled in the next few races but in the 6th race the #6 kid kate picked on top and paid $13, lost the next few races but closed out the day in the 9th race with a cold 1 13 2 triple paying $442.

Please I dont want anyone reading this to think that this was all easy, if you want to become a winner at anything in life, you have to be willing to dedicate the time to do the research, have confidence in yourself ,think different and approach the game of handicapping from a different perspective. Its no secret but no different from a Surgeon who goes to medical school for over 10 years to become the best at his profession. I have been studying JCapper for 2 years now and I am the first to tell you that I am still learning, be humble and open minded, the program works but you will only get what you put into it and nothing more. I probably spend more time than anyone else studying the intricacies of this software, often times several days, 12 hours each. But my dedication and time is been rewarded at the windows and you can become a winner too, it matters not what program you use, they all have their good and bad points but for me JCapper is the BEST.

Steve
SOUTHERN SLEW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2011, 07:28 PM   #2
beefas

congrats on a great day!!!..anything good never comes easy...keep at it steve..
beefas is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2011, 10:07 PM   #3
bob60566
Vancouver Island

I Agree Mountineer tonight is example
Mac
bob60566 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2011, 12:29 AM   #4
headhawg
crusty old guy

This thread should have a warning that says "BIG REDBOARD ALERT!!" I started to post a rant about this post and this poster but we've been down this road before. Just see this thread: http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...0&page=1&pp=15

All I'll add is this: So how did it do those months that you didn't post? Even the crappiest software can hit a $75 horse or a $1000 Pick 4 once in a while. If you want to really impress us and help Jeff P out, post your picks in advance. This has been suggested before.

I'm (pretty) sure that you have nothing but good intentions but redboarding is redboarding, and your posts aren't really helpful to newbies or other Jcapper users as they don't contain meaningful content. They just sound like advertising which may simply turn people off.
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
Warren Henry
Once/Always

Adjustable Parameters

I have to laugh every time I read a post telling how someone did with a piece of software that can be tweaked.

In the far distant past, I developed and sold handicapping software. One of my products included the capability to adjust the significance of the factors relative to each other. Included in this capability was the ability to set the weight to zero which would turn the factor off. The best customer testimonial I ever got was from a customer playing Charlestown. He hit a huge tri or super. When he told me of his good fortune, I asked him to share his settings with me so that I could try to duplicate the handicapping report (thinking that I could get some good advertising material from his score.)

Unfortunately, he had set every factor to zero. The handicapping output from the program was essentially a random listing of the entries. His score was a total fluke.

However, he did much better at the windows that day than I did.

The most important software is between your ears
Warren Henry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-04-2011, 06:36 AM   #6
Khanjar

That's a beautiful anecdote, Warren!
Khanjar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-04-2011, 03:02 PM   #7
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
These kind of threads always make me a bit nervous (probably the case for any software developer whose product is being talked in this way.)

To Steve: the software didn't pick the horses. You did.

I enjoyed our conversations and (hopefully) you did too. What I tried to get at by answering your questions in the way that I did was to get you to think - to discover for yourself not just how to form valid opinions on race outcomes - but to go a little beyond using the Data Window to perform R&D into what works and why.

This part might seem a little out there, but I was trying to get you to cross a bridge to a place where very few end up going. That step involves sharpening (for lack of better terminology) the player's inner voice that tells us when to back an opinion and when to back off.

What I'm talking about is developing the ability to not just recognize value - but the ability to transform value recognition into an auto-pilot response that comes from combining what you've learned by querying a database with the numbers tied to the situation in front of you presented by today's race.

To be blunt, I freely admit this is something I struggle with. At times the ability to auto recognize value is so strong that it's (almost) a tangible thing and I feel like I can (again almost) reach out and grab onto it.

At other times I can't get within 6F of it.

-jp

Old 08-04-2011, 03:23 PM   #8
Jeff P

Warren,

That's a beautiful story... one I can certainly relate to.

Sometime in 2003 I developed a form rating. Part of what the rating was designed to do was predict today's speed figure in terms of it being X number of lengths better or worse than speed figures from previous races.

During testing, I discovered it was possible to give the rating an roi boost by adding a random number element to it. (I think this turned out to be the case because there really is some degree of randomness inherent in improvement or decline of speed figures.)

One day I received an email from a customer wanting to know why the form number on his reports was different than the form number on another customer's reports. It took me a while to debug it.

It turned out that the way I was seeding VB's random number generator could cause the random number part of the form rating to vary from one user to the next. If there's one rule you'd better follow as the developer of a handicapping app it's that every user (with the same settings) see the same output.

I had to redo the form rating and seed the random number generator part of it in a way that gave everybody the same random element for improvement or decline and in turn the same form number.

-jp

Old 08-04-2011, 04:14 PM   #9
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg
This thread should have a warning that says "BIG REDBOARD ALERT!!" I started to post a rant about this post and this poster but we've been down this road before. Just see this thread: http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...0&page=1&pp=15

All I'll add is this: So how did it do those months that you didn't post? Even the crappiest software can hit a $75 horse or a $1000 Pick 4 once in a while. If you want to really impress us and help Jeff P out, post your picks in advance. This has been suggested before.

I'm (pretty) sure that you have nothing but good intentions but redboarding is redboarding, and your posts aren't really helpful to newbies or other Jcapper users as they don't contain meaningful content. They just sound like advertising which may simply turn people off.
I'm not trying to be adversarial here. I honestly don't know how the OP did over the past several months. What I do know is that as a result of the OP's post in that other thread JCapper was called out by name and we were invited to field a team in the PAIHL Contest.

I'm hoping the performance of the two JCapper teams in that contest (where we posted pre-race selections for something like 15 weeks and ran 1st and 2nd in roi among something like 50 teams) might indicate JCapper isn't exactly crappy software.

As far as redboarding, I tend to agree with you. Unless it's done as part of an effort to teach others what to look for then I see how many players view it as it bad form.

-jp

Old 08-04-2011, 11:54 PM   #10
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P
I'm not trying to be adversarial here.
Neither am I and I guess that was my point. These type of threads just bring out more skepticism than enlightenment, and considering the poster has done this four times now...well...frankly, it's old.
Quote:
I'm hoping the performance of the two JCapper teams in that contest (where we posted pre-race selections for something like 15 weeks and ran 1st and 2nd in roi among something like 50 teams) might indicate JCapper isn't exactly crappy software.
And that's what I tried to state in my reply -- these kinds of threads don't really help the developers. When I reply to the age-old question posts that begin with "What's the best handicapping software....?" I inevitably list JCapper, HSH, and HTR as the ones to look at. The only somewhat negative thing that I may have written about JCapper and similar database software was that it didn't fit my style of handicapping. It certainly wasn't a slam at the software itself.

Quote:
As far as redboarding, I tend to agree with you. Unless it's done as part of an effort to teach others what to look for then I see how many players view it as it bad form.
Yes that's my feeling, and in this case the OP was really over-the-top IMO. It was like reading the history of redboarding in one post.

Cheers.
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-05-2011, 01:06 AM   #11
newtothegame

If I may, and as a preface I must say that I have moved further away from handicapping then when I originally joined this forum. Due to time constraints raising a grandaughter, and now enrolled in college...well it's a bit pressing for time to say the least.
But, to stay on topic, I think this is about ADVERTISEMENT. I agree with HEAD that the OP is a bit over the top in his assessment. I almost got the feeling that he was somehow being paid by the company (jcapper).....
There are some great handicappers on this site...and in all fairness to Jeff, his software is mentioned right there at the top in most discussions.
But for someone like me, the OP really means very little to me as it doesnt take me through the "process" of his thoughts and how the program SPECIFICALLY helped him.
I love to see people win.....but as Head suggested, I can win all day long AFTER the fact. Not saying that's what happened in the OP's case....hell congrats to him for the nice run as of late...(I wonder if he can help with some of my college classes lol)......
Just a little more on the front end instead of the back end is what I think head meant...and I tend to agree...!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men,deriving their just powers from the consent of the
governed.
newtothegame is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2011, 10:42 PM   #12
curious

I don't post much here due to time constraints with my work.

I used to post picks for NBA, college basketball, college football, and MLB at a well known sports betting site. I posted the handicapping approach that I was using so that someone could come up with the picks without me if they desired. The approach was different for each sport (obviously). I posted many picks every day for several seasons across 4 sports.

I read the starting post here and did not understand it, I don't know very much about horse racing.

I do know a bit about gambling with a mathematical edge.

If the poster is saying that he has an edge, then all he has to do is post the formula that creates the edge, and post his picks daily or how ever often he finds picks. If he has a mathematical positive edge, the results will prove that. It will take a while to get into the number of races required by the law of large numbers.

What I am trying to say is quite simple. First, give us the formula that gives you an edge. Second, give us the picks that your formula makes. Third, track the results over a long enough period of time that you are beyond a lucky streak.
curious is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2011, 02:37 AM   #13
SOUTHERN SLEW

CD PICKS FOR 11-3-2011 posted at 12.56pm

I have not posted in quite some time and my last post came under heavy fire from a few amongst this group who accused me of REDBOARDING. I just wanted to state that it was never my intention nor was I implying that whatever software program you are using was without merit and I definitely was not trying to convince anyone to purchase Jcapper neither was I acting as a representative on the behalf of Jcapper, which I am not. My only purpose in sharing my results is to illustrate to anyone , that for any reason is looking for a method that they can rely on that produces consistent value play results at the track.

It was only 3 years ago that I posted an inquiry on this site asking for recommendations for a good handicapping program and thanks to a few of you, I was highly recommended to Jcapper, I reviewed the demo program and quickly made my decision to purchase the full program, 3 years later I can honestly say that I have no regrets. I feel fortunate to have the opportunity to be a member of Pace Advantage,the premier handicapping group on the net , and since my association with this site, I have not only increased my knowledge of handicapping but I was fortunate to meet a few individuals who have shared very valuable information with me, that has improved my game tremendously. I feel its only fair that I do my best to help others that are just beginning, or need advise or assistance in improving their handicapping skills.

Probably the most important thing I have learned from Jeff Platt that has taken my game to another level is that the key to winning at the track, is not so much in trying to handicap the race and look for the best horse, but to identify horses that are good value bets, horses that are overlooked by the odds maker and the betting public. As these type of horses do not offer any value. I learned to develop the correct mindset of a successful handicapper and by that I mean, avoid betting on every race and develop the discipline to be patient and wait for the right opportunity to present itself. You only need to win one race on a 9 race card to walk away a winner, as long as that is a value play with good odds.

A excellent book recommended to me by Jeff -Efficiency of Racetrack Betting Markets, you can preview it on amazon, excellent book http://www.amazon.com/Efficiency-Rac...0387575&sr=1-1

Well for those of you who requested that I post my selections before the race . Yesterday while preparing for this weekend BC races at CD, I decided to post my selections for Thursday's card, my selections were posted in advance at LRH4 at 12.56pm 11/3/2011

http://www.lrh4horseracing.com/rons-...omment15617059

The results are listed below
CD PICKS FOR 11-3-2011 posted at 12.56pm

RESULTS
Race1:10 9 8 2 = 3 6 2-

Race2:7 3 2 = 6 7 4-

Race3:5 6 7 = 5 6 7 - $20.40 EX $74.60, TRI $322.60

Race4:13 11 2 = 11 8 10 - $8.40 DD 5-11- $80.40

Race5:9 1 3 = 3 6 8 - $74.00 PICK3=5 11 3 $2391.40

Race6:3 2 6 = 6 3 1 - $23.60 EX 52.60 DD 3-6 $887.80

Race7:1 4 12 = 12 5 1 - $6.80 DD 6-12 $94.00 PICK3=3 6 12 $2379.40

Race8:8 2 13 = 13 10 5 - $8.40 DD 12-13 $36.80

Race9:8 10 = 10 8 1 - $6.40 EX $15.60 DD 13-10 $30.40 PICK3=12 13 10 $142.60

Race10:9 4 3 7 = 7 4 9 - $11.80 EX $69.60 TRI $208.80 DD 10-7 $36.40

Summary Result: 8 consecutive winners including $74 winner

4 exactas

6 Daily Doubles

2 Trifecta

4 Pick 3

As a full disclosure I must admit with all honesty that I did not use Computrak to make my selections. My selections were made using the Jcapper Handicapping Software,developed by Jeff Platt

November 4, 2011 | steve sparks
Old 11-04-2011, 02:45 AM   #14
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I'm a little confused. You went to a computrak site to post picks with jcapper?

I don't get it...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2011, 03:17 AM   #15
SOUTHERN SLEW

This was the original posting showing the date and time.
CD 11-2 (Comment)

CD PICKS FOR 11-3-2011 Race1:10 9 8 2 Race2:7 3 2 Race3:5 6 7 Race4:13 11 2 Race5:9 1 3 Race6:3 2 6
created on Thursday, November 3, 2011 at 12:56PM by steve sparks

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: