Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

View Poll Results: How do you feel about gun control laws?
Current laws infringe on our rights and should be weakened 21 17.80%
Current laws are just fine, thanks. We don't need anything more 28 23.73%
Current laws are not satisfactory, there are "common sense" adjustments that should be made 69 58.47%
Voters: 118. This poll is closed

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 09:59 PM   #196
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post
Someone who has passed a course regarding the proper handling and operation of their firearm.
I wonder how many mass shooters have been through hunters safety? I took it when I was 12.

Something I think every American should go through as part of curriculum. No offense but the complete lack of firearm knowledge demonstrated by most gun control advocates illustrates the need.

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 02-20-2018 at 10:02 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:17 PM   #197
FantasticDan
gelding

An oldie but a goodie

Old 02-20-2018, 10:24 PM   #198
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Someone who has passed a course regarding the proper handling and operation of their firearm.
And who would be in charge of this? The government? More government?

The problem is still not the weaponry but the individual that has decided to take innocent lives and until you hold them and those family that should have stopped these monsters nothing will change.
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:26 PM   #199
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
I wonder how many mass shooters have been through hunters safety? I took it when I was 12.

Something I think every American should go through as part of curriculum. No offense but the complete lack of firearm knowledge demonstrated by most gun control advocates illustrates the need.
When do they have to go through what responsible breeding is?
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:03 AM   #200
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
And this would prevent mass shootings?
How many have been by accident so far?
Old 02-21-2018, 05:25 AM   #201
steveb

Quote:
An oldie but a goodie

https://youtu.be/mVuspKSjfgA
may i ask what it is about.

when i go to watch it, i get this message.....

The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

...considering it mentions the country i am in, then i find it odd.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:52 PM   #202
Clocker

David French at the National Review explains why "assault weapons" preserve the purpose of the 2nd Amendment.

Two brief excerpts:

Quote:
...the foreseeable criminal threat to you or your family comes from a person wielding — at the very least — a semiautomatic pistol with a high-capacity magazine. This is one reason that police typically don’t carry revolvers. Their own weapons of choice have evolved to deal with the threat, and — as my colleague Charlie Cooke is fond of noting — if a person doesn’t “need” a high-capacity magazine to defend himself, then why do the police use them?

If I use an AR-15 for home defense, then I possess firepower that matches or likely exceeds (given how rarely rifles are used in gun crimes) that of any likely home intruder. Limit the size of the magazine to, say, ten rounds, and you’ve placed the law-abiding homeowner at a disadvantage. Prohibit them from obtaining a compact, easy-to-use, highly accurate carbine, and you’ve ensured that homeowners will be defending themselves with less accurate weapons. The best weapons “in common use” would be reserved for criminals.
Quote:
The argument is not that a collection of random citizens should be able to go head-to-head with the Third Cavalry Regiment. That’s absurd. Nor is the argument that citizens should possess weapons “in common use” in the military. Rather, for the Second Amendment to remain a meaningful check on state power, citizens must be able to possess the kinds and categories of weapons that can at least deter state overreach, that would make true authoritarianism too costly to attempt.
https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/...ond-amendment/
Old 02-21-2018, 11:11 PM   #203
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Unorganized citizens taking on the armed forces?
Preposterous!

Where in the world could that ever happen?

Besides, of course, Tikrit, Mosul, Fallujah, Basra........
Old 02-22-2018, 07:50 AM   #204
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaffertsWig View Post
6 pages and not one mention of high capacity magazines? Or is that too "common sense" and obvious?
I have sausage fingers and definitely don't have Floyd Mayweather's hand speed yet I can change a magazine in 3 seconds including pulling a loaded one out of a jacket pocket and putting the empty in the same pocket. I have seen videos of quick sure handed people letting the empty hit the ground and changing them so fast you almost can't see what they did. I would think they are doing it in around a second. The difference between how many bullets a person can spray in a couple minutes isn't much different between a 10 round clip and a 30.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:09 AM   #205
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
David French at the National Review explains why "assault weapons" preserve the purpose of the 2nd Amendment.

Two brief excerpts:

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/...ond-amendment/
I have no strong view on this issue, but I'm not fully buying the argument that citizens need to be as armed as criminals. It's make perfect sense until you consider the possibility that criminals start using something far beyond AR-15s.

Illegal weapons do get smuggled and make their way out there.

Some day I might need a stockpile of grenades and rocket launchers in my closet.

I'd rather head in the opposite direction where the punishment for possession of something illegal is so severe, even most criminals are reluctant to go down that route. Then the debate is on where to draw the line.

Should it be at semi-automatic weapons, higher, or lower?
Old 02-22-2018, 09:53 AM   #206
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
Then the debate is on where to draw the line.

Should it be at semi-automatic weapons, higher, or lower?
The Browning Auto 5 was first patented in 1905. The M1 the first major gas operated rifle in the 1930s.

School shootings are newer phenomenon so its something else. I'd rather look into deterrence and education before we start banning something that the public has had access to for over a century.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:01 AM   #207
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
The Browning Auto 5 was first patented in 1905. The M1 the first major gas operated rifle in the 1930s.

School shootings are newer phenomenon so its something else. I'd rather look into deterrence and education before we start banning something that the public has had access to for over a century.
You mean a common sense approach?

I would suggest part of the problem is the left jumping to the single conclusion that we need to control guns and ignore everything else.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:32 AM   #208
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Wayne LaPierre speaking on FOX right now - at National Harbor, MD. GREAT speech, touching on ALL the attacks on our freedom by the liberal loonies.

This guy gets it. I'll post a link if I can find one.

After hearing this guy, I am thinking.....2020.
Sounds better than ANY candidates I have hears in decades.

Voice of freedom rings loud.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:46 AM   #209
azeri98

No other civilized country in the world allows its citizens to posses these types of guns, and for some reason these things don't happen in those countries, coincidence? I think not, i'm all in favour of being able to protect yourself with a hand gun, or shotgun, if you need 15 to 30 shots to protect yourself maybe you need to practice shooting more
Old 02-22-2018, 10:53 AM   #210
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeri98 View Post
No other civilized country in the world allows its citizens to posses these types of guns, and for some reason these things don't happen in those countries, coincidence? I think not, i'm all in favour of being able to protect yourself with a hand gun, or shotgun, if you need 15 to 30 shots to protect yourself maybe you need to practice shooting more
Brilliant post.

^^^ BANNED ^^^

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 02-22-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: