Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 07-07-2019, 08:18 PM   #646
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
I'm one of them, and I don't know a single person in my circle of a couple thousand that thinks the guvmint will make it better than they have now.

Strip away their doctor. Their children's healthcare, and you are doomed.

We already have appointments a month or more in advance. Nobody wants standing in lines to 'maybe' get healthcare.

Sorry, but a part of capitalism is to earn a job in which you can get healthcare as a part of your wage. Become worthy, and not a debt to society.
That's the way I was raised and fortunately for me I have a job and healthcare.

But when people much wealthier and brighter than me are concerned about wealth inequity on a vast scale in the U.S. then perhaps it bears thinking about.

I'm not rich enough to have to worry about having my head lopped off like royalty during the French Revolution. But those who are may have reason to be concerned.

When we had the financial collapse back in 2007-2009 bankers who lived in Westport, CT were threatened in their homes.

Wars, riots, social violence -- the root cause of all of those is economics.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2019, 08:48 PM   #647
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote View Post
That's the way I was raised and fortunately for me I have a job and healthcare.

But when people much wealthier and brighter than me are concerned about wealth inequity on a vast scale in the U.S. then perhaps it bears thinking about.

I'm not rich enough to have to worry about having my head lopped off like royalty during the French Revolution. But those who are may have reason to be concerned.

When we had the financial collapse back in 2007-2009 bankers who lived in Westport, CT were threatened in their homes.

Wars, riots, social violence -- the root cause of all of those is economics.
That is a massive stretch HN.

Wealth inequity is real. And there is little doubt the filthy rich need to share their wealth.

When 12 or so people own as much as half the country, there is a problem.

I know that the answer isn't raising the minimum wage. Tax 'em at 70% or more on the top end, the middle class or less will still pay for it. Redistrubute the wealth, and we'd likely get the same results within due time. Put a cap on annual earnings? Force people to contribute to others? None of those will work.

For me personally? As crazy as it sounds, you need to threaten jail time for serious offenders. Any CEO or massive money making scoundrel that makes 100 times more money than any employee of their company of 20 or more people, needs to close that gap or face a year in prison for a 1st offense. 2nd offense you get 5 years. 3rd offense, all your wealth is taken away and distributed to the American taxpayers.

Making a significant amount of money should never be a bad thing. However, making that money on the backs of others and earning even more is criminal. Nobody needs 5 houses, a yacht, 50 cars, and an unlimited bank account. Nobody is that worthy.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2019, 09:07 PM   #648
elysiantraveller

Quote:

Wealth inequity is real. And there is little doubt the filthy rich need to share their wealth.

When 12 or so people own as much as half the country, there is a problem.

I know that the answer isn't raising the minimum wage. Tax 'em at 70% or more on the top end, the middle class or less will still pay for it. Redistrubute the wealth, and we'd likely get the same results within due time. Put a cap on annual earnings? Force people to contribute to others? None of those will work.

For me personally? As crazy as it sounds, you need to threaten jail time for serious offenders. Any CEO or massive money making scoundrel that makes 100 times more money than any employee of their company of 20 or more people, needs to close that gap or face a year in prison for a 1st offense. 2nd offense you get 5 years. 3rd offense, all your wealth is taken away and distributed to the American taxpayers.

Making a significant amount of money should never be a bad thing. However, making that money on the backs of others and earning even more is criminal. Nobody needs 5 houses, a yacht, 50 cars, and an unlimited bank account. Nobody is that worthy.
Solutions like these can be found in the following book:

JFC...
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2019, 09:12 PM   #649
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
Solutions like these can be found in the following book:

JFC...

Ha.

Yes, I know.

There has to be some good for the better when people are way too wealthy amid the others.

I never said community over everything.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2019, 11:40 PM   #650
highnote

Quote:
That's probably what Marie-Antoinette and the Romanovs thought, too.

Even Caesar was surprised -- Et tu, Brute?

It happens slowly, then all at once.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2019, 11:37 AM   #651
hcap

Migrant Mother Testifies On ICE Detention: ‘I Watched My Baby Die Slowly And Painfully’
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/m...by-ice-custody

Asylum seeker Yazmin Juarez appeared in front of the House Oversight Committee on Wednesday to testify on the death of her 19-month-old child, whose illness was left untreated while they were in the custody of Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Juarez told Congress that she and Mariee fled Guatemala in spring 2018 to seek asylum in the U.S because she was “more afraid of what might happen to us if we stayed.”

“So we came to the United States where I hoped to build a better, safer life for us,” Juarez said through a translator. “Unfortunately that did not happen. Instead I watched my baby girl die slowly and painfully just a few months before her second birthday.”

According to Juarez, Mariee was “very healthy” until after they were sent to an ICE facility in Dilley, Texas, where many sick children were being held in detention. Within a week, the baby became sick with a respiratory illness. However, ICE agents never allowed Juarez take Mariee to a doctor in the facility, forcing Juarez to rush her daughter to the ER immediately after they were finally released from the center.

Mariee spent six weeks in the hospital and “suffered horrible pain” before she died, said Juarez.

“I couldn’t even hold her or hug her or console her when she asked for her mother,” she said. “It was a terrible pain to see my child in a situation and circumstance like this one and as a mother, I wish that I could have taken her place.”

“I’m here today because I don’t want any more little angels to suffer the way Mariee did and the way I am now,” Juarez said near the end of her opening statement. “I don’t want any more mothers or fathers to lose children.”

Old 07-11-2019, 02:06 PM   #652
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

While all this nonsense is going on, drug smugglers are running rampant.
IF you watched FOX news, the ONLY one on the border reporting, you would have seen groups of them LIVE coming across.

hcap, blame the bad conditions on scumbags like AOC who voted against funding for humanitarian purposes. Even Nervous Nancy voted for it.

THAT is your problem, dems playing politics.
Especially brain-dead dems. Is that an oxymoron?
Old 08-27-2019, 09:15 PM   #653
woodtoo

Military police clash with African, Haiti migrants in front of an immigration center in Tapachula, Mexico. Tuesday Aug.27

VOA News on YouTube.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:47 PM   #654
46zilzal
velocitician

https://www.politifact.com/punditfac...ants-come-air/

quote in an interview with a newscaster from Univision.

O’Reilly: "You don’t want a border wall. You don’t want that. Why not?"

Ramos: "It’s a completely absurd idea. Why would you want to build a 1,900-mile wall between Mexico and the United States if almost 40 percent of all immigrants come by plane and they overstay their visas?"

Blocking a hole UNDER a fence while almost half of the entrants to your backyard jump over the fence.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:04 PM   #655
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

More than 60% don't come that way.
And the crisis is the tens of thousands showing up at the border.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:07 PM   #656
woodtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal View Post

Ramos: "It’s a completely absurd idea. Why would you want to build a 1,900-mile wall between Mexico and the United States if almost 40 percent of all immigrants come by plane and they overstay their visas?"

Blocking a hole UNDER a fence while almost half of the entrants to your backyard jump over the fence.
If not by land then by air. You're right these Africans are being flown into South America for their excursions to the USA but they are poor young men and woman (no children as far I could see)
so who is funding the travel? Soros probably.

Shut down the VISA's and expel all invaders. If you want some, sponsor them yourself and come in LEGALLY.

Last edited by woodtoo; 08-27-2019 at 10:09 PM.
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2019, 11:29 PM   #657
mikekk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
More than 60% don't come that way.
And the crisis is the tens of thousands showing up at the border.
My God! That's more people than The Donlad had at his inauguration!
mikekk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2019, 11:33 PM   #658
MargieRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal View Post

Are those "40%" also smuggling drugs on the plane, raping women and girls on the plane, and dragging along children that are likely not their own on the plane?
MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-28-2019, 03:35 AM   #659
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargieRose View Post
Are those "40%" also smuggling drugs on the plane, raping women and girls on the plane, and dragging along children that are likely not their own on the plane?
All 40%? You are either joking or more likely parroting the Donald. Since I can't use "brown" you know what anymore, maybe I will use "parrot"

Old 08-28-2019, 04:48 AM   #660
davew

Illegal raped 16 year old in her bed ...

https://iotwreport.com/illegal-raped...n-her-bedroom/
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply