Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-15-2019, 02:46 PM   #46
airford1

Really and that is based on what past meet? Look up the break downs from 1973 till today, then tell us that it's a travesty .
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2019, 02:59 PM   #47
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
The fatality rate from training & racing at SA is obscene. The track is compromised.

The rest of the world you speak of, although not perfect, has much higher standards.

Keep blaming PETA though.....if you want to talk about greed, Santa Anita track continued to send horses & riders out on to it to train & race, saying the track is safe. Talk about "saying anything to turn a buck" huh?
tickets for the Breeder's Cup for sale....cheap
Old 06-20-2019, 12:54 AM   #48
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
The rest of the world you speak of, although not perfect, has much higher standards.
How are stats compiled for "the rest of the world." And how accurate are they?

Are they available online?
Old 06-20-2019, 12:58 AM   #49
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post

yea, lets start with Kentucky.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2019, 10:28 AM   #50
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Just another reason for federal regulations for the game.
Track on their own are not responsible enough to be allowed to conduct racing.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:59 PM   #51
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Just another reason for federal regulations for the game.
Track on their own are not responsible enough to be allowed to conduct racing.
Is the federal government responsible or competent enough to regulate racing? I can't really point to too many things where they have gotten involved and made improvements. And once they are involved you won't be able to unring that bell.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:18 PM   #52
bob60566
Vancouver Island

Are the governing bodies of major tracks in the USA competent of making major changes to this industry. y/n

Or will history keep repeating itself.?
bob60566 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2019, 02:48 PM   #53
groupie doll

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Is the federal government responsible or competent enough to regulate racing? I can't really point to too many things where they have gotten involved and made improvements. And once they are involved you won't be able to unring that bell.
The USDA does a pretty good job of overseeing large animals used in research and teaching, although they also dole out a fair sum of the research money used at non-profits, so maybe they have an obligation of sorts...

In my opinion racing would be better off with some sort of Federal oversight. At minimum they could probably ensure more accurate and consistent health records for the horses, and make those records more transparent to the public (which is true for animals used in others areas under the Fed watch).
groupie doll is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2019, 06:27 PM   #54
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob60566 View Post
Are the governing bodies of major tracks in the USA competent of making major changes to this industry.
Let's quit pretending this is an insurmountable task.

Better to ask why these topics have been going on in the USA for 15+ years and not much ever happens.

Meanwhile, U.S. racing is on life support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post

Why would they put them online? Racing doesn't like to talk about such things.

Based on estimates, it's generally understood that Hong Kong has the lowest accident rate on both turf and dirt courses.

But again, the only meaningful "stat" is that U.S. racing is on life support.

Better regulations, less doped-up horses, stricter whip laws (hello Johnny V!), stiffer penalties, less tolerance of infractions, top older horses racing at ages 5 and 6, race distances not being constantly shortened, breeding for stamina not tossed out the window in favor of 2 year old speedsters who are retired at 3, more consistent steward and racing authority decisions........all seems to have helped my game. But I've had to move most of my wagering dollars to outside of U.S. racing to have these features. (sorry if that offends anyone!).

I got tired of watching nothing but deck chairs being rearranged here.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2019, 07:26 PM   #55
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:

Better to ask why these topics have been going on in the USA for 15+ years and not much ever happens.

Based on estimates, it's generally understood that Hong Kong has the lowest accident rate on both turf and dirt courses.

Better regulations, less doped-up horses, stricter whip laws (hello Johnny V!), stiffer penalties, less tolerance of infractions, top older horses racing at ages 5 and 6, race distances not being constantly shortened, breeding for stamina not tossed out the window in favor of 2 year old speedsters who are retired at 3, more consistent steward and racing authority decisions........all seems to have helped my game. But I've had to move most of my wagering dollars to outside of U.S. racing to have these features. (sorry if that offends anyone!).

The game is not on life support. That's the real problem.

Showing gains at some meets. Big days still earning big bucks.

The horses will run out .......... that's the only way to stop the game.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:29 PM   #56
bob60566
Vancouver Island

Quote:

So correct but the deck chairs are getting less
Old 06-20-2019, 08:43 PM   #57
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
No it's not, but it is needed because the game crosses state lines.
Unfortunately, we cannot rely on the tracks to man up and act responsible - most are not responsible.

Last edited by Tom; 06-20-2019 at 08:44 PM.
Tom is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2019, 09:30 PM   #58
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob60566 View Post
Are the governing bodies of major tracks in the USA competent of making major changes to this industry. y/n

Or will history keep repeating itself.?
There is no consensus as to what needs to be changed or when there is consensus there is no agreement as to how to change.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:40 PM   #59
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by groupie doll View Post
The USDA does a pretty good job of overseeing large animals used in research and teaching, although they also dole out a fair sum of the research money used at non-profits, so maybe they have an obligation of sorts...

In my opinion racing would be better off with some sort of Federal oversight. At minimum they could probably ensure more accurate and consistent health records for the horses, and make those records more transparent to the public (which is true for animals used in others areas under the Fed watch).
Racing is on life support for many reasons and a broken business model is right there at the top. Adding what would surely be an expensive layer of federal regulations will certainly not fix anything. There is only one way to pay for any new regulations and that is by charging the bettor. In a game already at a competitive disadvantage due to its cost structure I don't see the feds providing any help.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:24 PM   #60
bob60566
Vancouver Island

Quote:
There is no consensus as to what needs to be changed or when there is consensus there is no agreement as to how to change.
That is so true and they all will be content as long as they get there share of the billions coming in every year why change anything it is not if they do not know what needs changing big time and that is not getting younger people to show up at the track, or corgi racing with free tee shirt to boot when you cannot drink or eat anymore of there $1 beers or hot dogs.

Last edited by bob60566; 06-20-2019 at 10:27 PM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: