Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-01-2020, 05:28 PM   #106
steveb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I thought it was pretty well know that Beyer uses projections now, as do most people that make figures. Pars are so tough to do these days, they are actually nothing but projections themselves in my opinion.

you project horses, i project races(using standards).

if a horse has run an 80 in a race where winner generally runs a 70, then next time it's in that 70 race, imo all it needs to do is run that 70.

i would not project it as an 80
steveb is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-01-2020, 05:32 PM   #107
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb View Post
you project horses, i project races(using standards).

if a horse has run an 80 in a race where winner generally runs a 70, then next time it's in that 70 race, imo all it needs to do is run that 70.

i would not project it as an 80
For me at least, projecting is a lot more complicated than that.

The standard part is tough here, particularly when using time. There simply aren't enough races to come up with a reliable standard with all the various conditions, distances, surfaces, etc.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-01-2020, 05:53 PM   #108
steveb

Quote:
For me at least, projecting is a lot more complicated than that.

The standard part is tough here, particularly when using time. There simply aren't enough races to come up with a reliable standard with all the various conditions, distances, surfaces, etc.

it is for me too, but that is the gist of it.

i don't know how they class horses in your country, but most places give them official ratings where 1 point = 1lb or .5kg.
the ratings themselves are iffy, but they allow you to figure how fast these types will run generally(solved by regression .99 correlation times run to official ratings using every horse in race rating).

after any meeting the std dev between expected and actual for any meeting rarely exceeds 5.... 5 would mean 5 metres per 1000 difference actual to expectation which is bugger all(.005%) in the scheme of things.
Old 01-01-2020, 06:35 PM   #109
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb View Post
it is for me too, but that is the gist of it.

i don't know how they class horses in your country, but most places give them official ratings where 1 point = 1lb or .5kg.
the ratings themselves are iffy, but they allow you to figure how fast these types will run generally(solved by regression .99 correlation times run to official ratings using every horse in race rating).

after any meeting the std dev between expected and actual for any meeting rarely exceeds 5.... 5 would mean 5 metres per 1000 difference actual to expectation which is bugger all(.005%) in the scheme of things.
That is the thing, we don't have a rating system like that here.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-01-2020, 07:55 PM   #110
steveb

Quote:
That is the thing, we don't have a rating system like that here.

fair enough.
you could probably do those same regressions using your own timeform figures.

would probably be more accurate too than using official ratings.

my own opinion(and confirmed by checks and balances i do), is that results are far more predictable using a race expectation, rather than horse expectation.

of course it all comes down to your own methodology i guess.
Old 01-02-2020, 02:05 PM   #111
classhandicapper

I'm sure the goal is to generally keep dirt tracks consistent. However, one of the complications of doing figures in the US is that dirt tracks tend to be maintained between races. The maintenance crew will add water, allow moisture to dry from sun/wind, float or harrow the track, etc... between races.

So if the speed of a track can vary from race to race as it does (over and above the impact of wind, humidity and temperature on the horses) you sort of have to analyze each race independently and within the context of the day all at once to try to understand what happened.

Also, as CJ was saying, we have an almost endless supply of class designations at each track that don't translate well from track to track even when they are called the same thing. Some classes have a huge standard deviation even at the same track. So just using a PAR/Standard leads to problems in the US. That's not to say they can't help with the analysis at times.