Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 04-02-2019, 08:38 AM   #76
boys at tosconova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
#$%*^#^*@!*
i'm sure he said that to himself. this was mott's design to race like this, painfully afraid to get butchered like the previous start.

i don't think it could have failed any worse. even that bode horse who he beat by 18L crushed him.

maybe, like some said the preakness is a plan now. lexington or tesio maybe.

the race being what it was, doesn't really let us know about where bourbon and code is as well
boys at tosconova is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-02-2019, 08:43 AM   #77
Dahossdaboss
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
The "cheap speed" ended up being Hidden Scroll. As near as I can tell, Maximum turned in the best prep race of the season. Yes better than Game Winner and Improbable. And his pace figures from the race say that the distance of the Derby is well within reach. Moves to the #1 spot in the run for the roses.
Best prep of the season? Slow pace and they ran 1-2 around the track.

You’re going to need a searchlight to find either one in the Derby.
Dahossdaboss is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-02-2019, 09:31 AM   #78
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

No way he gets set up in the Derby like he got in Florida.
The circus left town and took the merry-go-round with it.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:26 PM   #79
señorclipclop

The Derby has been a merry-go-round since 2014.
señorclipclop is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2019, 08:28 AM   #80
classhandicapper

The Florida Derby is sort of getting ignored because Maximum Security went wire to wire in a slow pace after Hidden Scroll was choked back, but the flip side to that is that some closers like Code of Honor and Bourbon War may have been compromised and could fit better in the Derby than it looks. I thought that track was also speed favoring.

The first closer out of the race was Harvey Wallbanger. He didn't do much in the Lexingon, but it may be too soon to tell.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:05 AM   #81
f2tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
The Florida Derby is sort of getting ignored because Maximum Security went wire to wire in a slow pace after Hidden Scroll was choked back, but the flip side to that is that some closers like Code of Honor and Bourbon War may have been compromised and could fit better in the Derby than it looks. I thought that track was also speed favoring.

The first closer out of the race was Harvey Wallbanger. He didn't do much in the Lexingon, but it may be too soon to tell.
I pondered this as well however this Derby seems to lack much in the way strong Brisnet E1 types. There's more depth for stronger E2 types and there are also a bunch that posted stronger LP figures. This suggests the pace won't be all that brisk which will help types like Maximum Security.
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2019, 09:12 AM   #82
PowerUpPaynter

I dont see who goes with Maximum Security he just may be able to walk to dog on the lead again... Not saying he will just take them around, although I guess it possible. But maybe have enough to hold on to get a piece of the super.

Last edited by PowerUpPaynter; 04-16-2019 at 09:20 AM.
PowerUpPaynter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2019, 12:44 PM   #83
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post

Agree about Code of Honor and Bourbon War though the latter isn't going to get in most likely.

I wouldn't call Harvey Wallbanger a closer out of that race, he was horrible that day and was dropping anchor through the lane. I'm not going to read anything into his Lexington performance.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2019, 01:13 PM   #84
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I wouldn't call Harvey Wallbanger a closer out of that race, he was horrible that day and was dropping anchor through the lane. I'm not going to read anything into his Lexington performance.
Good point.

I just watched the Lexington and he spent a lot of time inside. I didn't do my notes for the rest of the card, but the few races I did watch flowed more outside. So maybe he didn't even have the best of it in that follow up race.