Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 08-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Breaking - Shooting At Wisconsin Sikh Temple - Difference In Coverage Is Striking

Another senseless shooting, but it strikes me how, even at this very EARLY stage of coverage, not only is NBCNEWS.com reporting on the skin color of the shooter, but is quoting someone (allegedly) close to the scene as saying:
Quote:
"We have no idea," he said of the motive. "It's pretty much a hate crime. It's not an insider."
How differently would this story be covered if the shooting occurred inside a Church or a Synagogue, and the shooter was not white? I believe it would be vastly different, especially at this early stage. The name, identity and skin color of the shooter would not be revealed until such details were absolutely certified and conclusive via the proper authorities...

But here we apparently have a white male in his 30s, and the media is running with that right off the bat...no lead-cinch confirmation is necessary apparently...

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...wisconsin?lite

Quote:
A temple committee member, Ven Boba Ri, told the Journal-Sentinel that people inside the temple described the shooter was a white male in his 30s.

"We have no idea," he said of the motive. "It's pretty much a hate crime. It's not an insider."

Ri told the Journal-Sentinel the gunman walked up to a priest who was standing outside the temple and shot him. Then he went inside and started shooting.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 08-05-2012 at 02:20 PM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I'd just like to point out that first quote..."We have no idea..."

BUT, they DO have an idea that it was a hate crime?

Most likely, it is a "hate crime," whatever that is...a crime is a crime, no matter the motive. Would it make it any better if the shooter was pissed off at a guy who perhaps was cheating with his wife or girlfriend?

And that's the point..."WE HAVE NO IDEA..."

BUT, they know it's a hate crime...

Solid reporting...
Old 08-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Nothing more ridiculous than the idea of a hate crime.
Unless it is what pretends to be the news media.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
TJDave

I read once where Sikhs carried daggers.

Probably not in their temple, though.
TJDave is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Another senseless shooting, but it strikes me how, even at this very EARLY stage of coverage, not only is NBCNEWS.com reporting on the skin color of the shooter, but is quoting someone (allegedly) close to the scene as saying: How differently would this story be covered if the shooting occurred inside a Church or a Synagogue, and the shooter was not white? I believe it would be vastly different, especially at this early stage. The name, identity and skin color of the shooter would not be revealed until such details were absolutely certified and conclusive via the proper authorities...

But here we apparently have a white male in his 30s, and the media is running with that right off the bat...no lead-cinch confirmation is necessary apparently...

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...wisconsin?lite
Seven People are dead and you are concerned because the media is saying a white guy did it. Here's a clue. A white guy did do it. And a white guy did it in Aurora and a white guy did it in De Kalb and two white guys did it in Columbine. It was a Muslim at Fort Hood and an Asian at VA. Tech and in each case the identity of the shooter was revealed when it was known. So stop making up stories where there are none.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave
I read once where Sikhs carried daggers.

Probably not in their temple, though.
They carry ceremonial daggers everywhere. That does not mean they are effective weapons against a gun or that the average Sikh is skilled in their use.

My next door neighbors are Sikhs and they are very nice, very friendly people.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
mostpost

I have been hearing on TV that this temple has had some problems in the past because some very stupid people think they are Muslims. They are not.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #8
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

The story has been updated...with some information thrown in for those whiteys out there who might be thinking of pulling a copycat maneuver because they ignorantly believe Sikhs practice the same religion as "the terrorists":
Quote:
Sikh rights groups have reported a rise in bias attacks since the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. The Washington-based Sikh Coalition has reported more than 700 incidents in the U.S. since 9/11, which advocates blame on anti-Islamic sentiment. Sikhs don't practice the same religion as Muslims, but their long beards and turbans often cause them to be mistaken for Muslims, advocates say.

Sikhism is a monotheistic faith that was founded in South Asia more than 500 years ago. It has roughly 27 million followers worldwide. Observant Sikhs do not cut their hair; male followers often cover their heads with turbans -- which are considered sacred -- and refrain from shaving their beards.
I find the above rather astounding. It's almost as if the above paragraph is somehow justifying "incidents" on Muslims because of 9/11...just don't be an idiot and mistake a Sikh for a Muslim terrorist...

"Sikhs don't practice the same religion as Muslims, but their long beards and turbans often cause them to be mistaken for Muslims, advocates say."

Yeah, so? Are they saying it's ok to go after the "real" Muslims? Just don't attack us Sikhs as we aren't the same religious flavor?

Insanity.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #9
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost
Seven People are dead and you are concerned because the media is saying a white guy did it. Here's a clue. A white guy did do it. And a white guy did it in Aurora and a white guy did it in De Kalb and two white guys did it in Columbine. It was a Muslim at Fort Hood and an Asian at VA. Tech and in each case the identity of the shooter was revealed when it was known. So stop making up stories where there are none.
You truly are imbecilic.

I'm not concerned that the media is saying a white guy did it. White, Brown, Yellow or Black, whoever did it is a criminal and should be executed for such a blatant disregard for human life.

I'm concerned with how the media treats the reporting of such stories differently depending on the color of the skin of the criminal involved.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 08-05-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #10
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
I have been hearing on TV that this temple has had some problems in the past because some very stupid people think they are Muslims. They are not.
So you're also saying it's OK to go after Muslims? Just don't be an ignorant dumb ass white guy and go after the Sikhs?

Wow.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 08-05-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:20 PM   #11
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Seven People are dead
Yes, seven people are dead, and there's nothing that can be done about them at this point. I didn't know any of them. I don't cry for everyone who is murdered every day in this country, do you?

I am talking about an aspect of the story...the coverage. If you don't like it, start your own thread mourning the dead.

In case you didn't notice, I started off my thread by calling this incident "Another senseless shooting."

Come at me again with more nonsense that avoids the actual point of the thread.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #12
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
and in each case the identity of the shooter was revealed when it was known. So stop making up stories where there are none.
Not quite. The identity of the shooters was NOT revealed immediately when they weren't known to be white.

The media waited patiently for the authorities to confirm the skin color of the shooter, which they obviously did not do in this case.

Therein lies the difference, and that is the point of this thread. If you don't want to discuss this, like I suggested earlier, start your own thread on the incident.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 08-05-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #13
woodtoo

Multiculturalism=Fail
The Netherlands have done away with it recently,they finally got it.
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #14
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Poor mostie, never has a clue what the conversation is about but always has a spin for it.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:37 PM   #15
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Come at me again with more nonsense that avoids the actual point of the thread.
Point of your thread? Other than pot-stirring, there isn't one. "Imbecilic", indeed..
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply