Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 12-02-2023, 08:55 PM   #1
46zilzal
velocitician

Short changed anyone?

I get the impression that Three once defeated teams will get to the playoff, and the Eastern biased votes will take Florida State over U of Washington...Tht would be theft in the first degree.
Old 12-02-2023, 09:42 PM   #2
Inner Dirt

Florida St still needs to beat Louisville, looks like they will up 3-0 at half time FSU is down to their #3 QB.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2023, 02:11 PM   #3
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Florida St still needs to beat Louisville, looks like they will up 3-0 at half time FSU is down to their #3 QB.
How can you let Alabama in and not Florida State, no matter the health status of a single player?
Old 12-03-2023, 02:16 PM   #4
46zilzal
velocitician

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...tball-playoffs

Quote: That has created unprecedented controversy and steered the committee to Alabama, who upset Georgia to win the Southeastern Conference championship, and Big 12 champion Texas, who beat the Crimson Tide on the road in September.

“The consequences of giving in to a narrative of the moment are destructive, far reaching, and permanent. Not just for Florida State, but college football as a whole,” FSU athletic director Michael Alford said in a statement. “The argument of whether a team is the ‘most deserving OR best’ is a false equivalence. It renders the season up to yesterday irrelevant and significantly damages the legitimacy of the College Football Playoff. The committee failed college football today.”
Old 12-03-2023, 02:48 PM   #5
Bustin Stones

What it tells me is that people close to college football believe the SEC is a world apart from the ACC in schedule difficulty. That the conference in total is much better top to bottom.
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2023, 04:25 PM   #6
Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin Stones View Post
What it tells me is that people close to college football believe the SEC is a world apart from the ACC in schedule difficulty. That the conference in total is much better top to bottom.
If that were the case I guess they ignored what Florida St. did to LSU or what Texas did to Alabama.
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2023, 07:29 PM   #7
Bustin Stones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
If that were the case I guess they ignored what Florida St. did to LSU or what Texas did to Alabama.
You are only addressing signature wins. I believe they are addressing the entire conference top to bottom. in the SEC, you have to show up every week more so because the general strength has historically been better. Notice that they rarely choose against either the SEC or B1G. Once we move to a 12 team playoff, the whining will subside. Every conference will get a chance.
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2023, 06:40 AM   #8
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin Stones View Post
You are only addressing signature wins. I believe they are addressing the entire conference top to bottom. in the SEC, you have to show up every week more so because the general strength has historically been better. Notice that they rarely choose against either the SEC or B1G. Once we move to a 12 team playoff, the whining will subside. Every conference will get a chance.
The SEC was 7-9 against fellow P5 conferences this year including a 4-6 record against the ACC.
PalaceOfFortLarned is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2023, 09:01 AM   #9
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Since the beginning of November, which is apparently the more important form cycle of a football season, Bama and Georgia thumped Kentucky, who was on even terms with Louisville until winning late; the Cards hung with the Noles until losing late.

I think a sequence of data points like that must mean more to the Committee than season records involving South Carolina (2 losses) and Vanderbilt. Of the 10 ACC/SEC games, 6 were in the first half of September, 4 were season-ending rivalry games.

If one were handicapping this weekend's 'chaos' like horses, using class and form, would anyone bet on the ACC?

Here's a link to interconference results that tries to make a case for the ACC, but in my opinion fails to succeed:
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa...gular%20season.

Last edited by rastajenk; 12-04-2023 at 09:07 AM.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2023, 02:00 PM   #10
PalaceOfFortLarned

And a week before the SEC Championship Game, Alabama needed a miracle 4th and 31 at the end of the game to beat Auburn. The same Auburn team that was thumped at home 31-7 by lowly New Mexico State the week before.

That same week, undefeated and 2 time defending National Champion Georgia struggled mightily to defeat a middle of the road ACC team in Georgia Tech.

We all know what this is about. TV ratings and money. The committee can't leave out the SEC or they would lose a massive amount of their college football viewing audience.

And it isn't only Alabama, but also Texas. Both of these 1 loss teams jumped Florida State. In order to get Bama in, they also had to include Texas.
PalaceOfFortLarned is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2023, 03:32 PM   #11
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Can't disagree much. They have certainly loaded up the finale to the 4-team era big time.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2023, 10:02 PM   #12
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post
And a week before the SEC Championship Game, Alabama needed a miracle 4th and 31 at the end of the game to beat Auburn. The same Auburn team that was thumped at home 31-7 by lowly New Mexico State the week before.

That same week, undefeated and 2 time defending National Champion Georgia struggled mightily to defeat a middle of the road ACC team in Georgia Tech.

We all know what this is about. TV ratings and money. The committee can't leave out the SEC or they would lose a massive amount of their college football viewing audience.

And it isn't only Alabama, but also Texas. Both of these 1 loss teams jumped Florida State. In order to get Bama in, they also had to include Texas.

Excellent post, beat me to it

SEC Homers won't admit it but this was a down year for them. The sec has been 10 kinds of dominant the past 15 yrs or so. But not this season
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden

Last edited by ElKabong; 12-04-2023 at 10:04 PM.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2023, 10:07 PM   #13
ElKabong

To follow up on Palace's post, the committee also could have felt if fsu was in the cfp, tv sets would be turned off in record #s. That ccg vs Louisville was hard to watch, and no one loves defense more than me, but that was a pitiful display of offense regardlessof who was the qb. That fsu D may be the best modern day defense I've seen. But ratings wise it's a buzz kill
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden

Last edited by ElKabong; 12-04-2023 at 10:09 PM.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply