Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Harness Racing

Old 11-21-2023, 06:58 AM   #1
Poindexter

Are there rules about this?

in Mondays 6th race at Mohawk, the 9 at 52-1 basically floated out and
when unable to find a tuck, he basically continued floating in the middle of the pack until past the 1/2 basically making it impossible for the 2/5 favorite Lucy Who to ever get clearance until it was far too late. I am guessing that the driver of the 9 was upset about being hung out so he found a way to get revenge. Meanwhile anyone who bet the 2/5 favorite basically watched their money go up in flames. He basically just floated right outside of Lucy Who and started rolling some 1st over when there were a few horses behind him around the half mile pole. Of course Lucy Who was hopelessly stuck behind horses throughout while the winner was opening daylight top of the lane. Lucy Who the #3.

Here is the replay.

Now I know shit happens in harness racing but this is ridiculous. The driver of the 9 was basically race fixing whether intentional or not. He chose a tactic that made it impossible for the 2/5 favorite to even hit the exacta. The payoff indicates that there were no financial shenanigans, but the damage to whoever bet the favorite is clear as day.
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2023, 09:26 PM   #2
Sea Biscuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
in Mondays 6th race at Mohawk, the 9 at 52-1 basically floated out and
when unable to find a tuck, he basically continued floating in the middle of the pack until past the 1/2 basically making it impossible for the 2/5 favorite Lucy Who to ever get clearance until it was far too late. I am guessing that the driver of the 9 was upset about being hung out so he found a way to get revenge. Meanwhile anyone who bet the 2/5 favorite basically watched their money go up in flames. He basically just floated right outside of Lucy Who and started rolling some 1st over when there were a few horses behind him around the half mile pole. Of course Lucy Who was hopelessly stuck behind horses throughout while the winner was opening daylight top of the lane. Lucy Who the #3.

Here is the replay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B72CVtXsXIo

Now I know shit happens in harness racing but this is ridiculous. The driver of the 9 was basically race fixing whether intentional or not. He chose a tactic that made it impossible for the 2/5 favorite to even hit the exacta. The payoff indicates that there were no financial shenanigans, but the damage to whoever bet the favorite is clear as day.

This type of driver tactics on the track is what gives a bad name to this wonderful sport called harness racing.

The fans who bet this horse, driven by Jean Bernard Renaud who has won a total of 14 times since January 2023, down to 40 cents to a dollars have got to be just plain crazy.

Also, with so many good drivers available at Mohawk these days, I would like to know the reasoning behind the trainer Julie Walker's decision to put this low percentage driver behind her horse.

I think calling it race fixing is a bit of a stretch. It is the job of the driver to keep his horse out of trouble, no one else's.

I am happy to report, however, these kinda races are few and far between.
Sea Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2023, 11:00 PM   #3
Ahorsewithnoname

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Biscuit View Post
This type of driver tactics on the track is what gives a bad name to this wonderful sport called harness racing.

The fans who bet this horse, driven by Jean Bernard Renaud who has won a total of 14 times since January 2023, down to 40 cents to a dollars have got to be just plain crazy.

Also, with so many good drivers available at Mohawk these days, I would like to know the reasoning behind the trainer Julie Walker's decision to put this low percentage driver behind her horse.

I think calling it race fixing is a bit of a stretch. It is the job of the driver to keep his horse out of trouble, no one else's.

Agreed that races like this happen, but not that often. Also this is not the only tactic Ive seen that tarnishes harness racing.
Ahorsewithnoname is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2023, 11:36 PM   #4
Sea Biscuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Biscuit View Post

Lucy Who is entered to race in the Harvest Series Final on Nov 27 but this time she is being driven by Sylvain Filion.

A step in the right direction, I must say.
Sea Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2023, 07:59 AM   #5
Bustin Stones

When the NYRA jockeys box in the favorite, I don't hear anyone claiming that they're tarnishing the sport.
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2023, 01:10 PM   #6
Poindexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin Stones View Post
When the NYRA jockeys box in the favorite, I don't hear anyone claiming that they're tarnishing the sport.
Thoroughbreds don’t line up single file. I don’t think I have seen a horse eliminated as blatantly this horse was. By saying this is acceptable you are basically giving the green light to any driver to box in any horse who takes back early. The ramifications are if you think the heavy favorite is not going to leave, you as an opposing driver, would have the power to keep the horse from winning even if it negatively impacts your own chances of competing. If it happened with any kind of regularity, I certainly would not bet the sport and I really enjoy the sport. This circuit is criticized for abundantly permitting tucks, which does not make a lot of sense, since you are often providing better position to an opponent that had a worst post position. Then again if you don’t allow a tuck and this happens to you………well maybe allowing a tuck wasn’t such a bad idea after all. I was just curious if there are rules against this type of behavior. It appears not.
Old 11-27-2023, 01:33 PM   #7
Bustin Stones

As any top flight jockey will tell you, it's good gamesmanship. Even if you have to race outside your comfort zone, every ones chances improve if the heavy favorite finds trouble. Jockeys don't care about your money, they care about their money. It's doge eat dog. There are no gentlemen's rules. That's what you've been betting on all along. When a driver tucks just long enough for the outer horses to clear before heading to the outer flow to lead, that's what they're trying to prevent. It's why the lower % drivers don't win more. They don't get it. They're operating under the assumption that the best time to join the outer flow is when it best suits the horse. But, then their boxed.
Old 11-27-2023, 01:48 PM   #8
Poindexter

Good gamesmanship? Any driver from an outside post in any race can find a favorite he thinks is taking back and can delay leave and use the exact same tactics that were used in that race. They can also bet against that favorite with both hands and be handsomely rewarded. I guess there is a good reason that very few bet harness racing,
Old 11-27-2023, 03:46 PM   #9
Bustin Stones

On the other hand, there is no planned clusterfuck coming out of the starting gate in harness. The moving gate allows for less troubled starts. Smart drivers are able to spot trouble before they develop. 75% of the race is managing access to the outer flow. And gaining cover if closing from the back. Unless you have one of the few closers capable of saving ground and sweeping the field. Some of the most exciting finishes are when a horse who can close is hiding 2 or three deep in the outer flow. What frustrates most gamblers about the sport is that there's so much equipment on the track, many times the best horse has nowhere to run.