Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 12:56 PM   #121
Shelby

Bottom line is he didn't have a problem with the way things are after he won the Derby and the Preakness. Total sour grapes. He needs to shut his mouth.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:58 PM   #122
forced89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby
Bottom line is he didn't have a problem with the way things are after he won the Derby and the Preakness. Total sour grapes. He needs to shut his mouth.
He's a jerk who should have kept his mouth shut.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:07 PM   #123
jimk849

Sobering comments should only be made by sober people
Old 06-08-2014, 01:09 PM   #124
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Try and debate the man's comments while still showing a sliver of class. Continuously calling him names does nothing to bolster your side of the argument.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:12 PM   #125
Shelby

Only 328 days, 5 hours and 12 minutes until the next Derby. I can't wait!
Old 06-08-2014, 01:16 PM   #126
dnlgfnk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse
You guys forget two things. History. And the added excitement of rivalries.

Affirmed did not avoid Alydar. Run Dusty Run ran in all three TC races against Seattle Slew. And Sham did not take a break for another shot at Secretariat.
Another historical fact is that the only three Triple Crown winners in the last 66 years had previous impressive races at Belmont Park. I've never been a "horses-for-courses" advocate, but Belmont may be unique. Or at least it may be a more predictive factor at Belmont than elsewhere.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:22 PM   #127
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylbert
Two goobers get lucky and catch lightning in a bottle. The lightning concludes.
NBC produced a human interest story that was shown during their broadcast on Saturday. Perry Martin, co-owner of California Chrome, said he spent 8 months researching pedigrees before they . Seems like he made some of his own luck.

He struck me as a pretty sharp individual. Here is a little info on him.

http://www.mtu.edu/news/stories/2014...tin-right.html

And this quote from Bloodhorse about Martin choosing Cal Chrome's breeding pairing is interesting -- especially the final paragraph:

Quote:

On the sire side, Martin really likes sons of Pulpit; their pedigrees exude so much class, he said. As a son of Pulpit, Lucky Pulpit traces back to A.P.Indy, Seattle Slew and Secretariat. On the dam's side, this California stallion boasts some turf potential in Cozzene.

Martin felt confident that his first attempt at breeding would produce a horse that could get distance and maybe have a future on turf, too. So far, California Chrome keeps proving him right.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...#ixzz344M38hoX

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 06-08-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:34 PM   #128
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaLover
Mr. Coburn seemed to be really upset and I can certainly feel his pain.

I also have to add that all of what he said is complete BS.

If he is serious about his comments, then he simply is clueless as far as what the TRIPLE CROWN is all about...

Horses like California Chrome, Big Brown, Smarty Jones etc simply do not deserve to be next to names like Secretariat, Seattle Slew or Citation!

They simply are NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

Period.
How about Omaha and Assault?

There's nothing magical about the Triple Crown. Spectacular Bid, who didn't win it, was better than almost all, and maybe all, of the horses who did. Alysheba was better than several TC winners too.

California Chrome is a very nice horse. If they keep him around, we may get to see how good he is. You earn your place in history in the handicap division.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:36 PM   #129
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote
NBC produced a human interest story that was shown during their broadcast on Saturday. Perry Martin, co-owner of California Chrome, said he spent 8 months researching pedigrees before they . Seems like he made some of his own luck.

He struck me as a pretty sharp individual. Here is a little info on him.

http://www.mtu.edu/news/stories/2014...tin-right.html

And this quote from Bloodhorse about Martin choosing Cal Chrome's breeding pairing is interesting -- especially the final paragraph:
He just caught the right end of variance, like those old ladies who beat the stock market for awhile.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:47 PM   #130
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby
He did express these feelings after the Preakness:

"California Chrome's co-owner, Steve Coburn, wasn't shy about calling for reform after his horse won at Pimlico. Coburn said he'd like to see the Preakness and Belmont fields limited to horses who had already run the previous legs of the Triple Crown.

"If you bow out in the Preakness, you don't come back for the Belmont," he said. "I honestly believe that if the Triple Crown is not won this year by California Chrome, I will never see it in my lifetime, because there are people out there trying to upset the apple cart."

http://www.yorkdispatch.com/rss/ci_25876991?source=rss
Old 06-08-2014, 01:51 PM   #131
Shelby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
He did express these feelings after the Preakness:

"California Chrome's co-owner, Steve Coburn, wasn't shy about calling for reform after his horse won at Pimlico. Coburn said he'd like to see the Preakness and Belmont fields limited to horses who had already run the previous legs of the Triple Crown.

"If you bow out in the Preakness, you don't come back for the Belmont," he said. "I honestly believe that if the Triple Crown is not won this year by California Chrome, I will never see it in my lifetime, because there are people out there trying to upset the apple cart."

http://www.yorkdispatch.com/rss/ci_25876991?source=rss

Good point.....but he did it more "gracefully" then.......
Old 06-08-2014, 01:54 PM   #132
Mr_Ed

Possibly he could have modified his statement by saying having previously run 1 leg of the TC.

(ok to skip Preakness)

Just sayin.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:04 PM   #133
Mr_Ed

Tonalist representative receiving the trophy did nothing to ease the situation.

His terse "no comment" added fuel to the E/W rivalry.

Some sort of graceful understanding of the history/situation was in order, IMHO.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:11 PM   #134
goatchaser

I'm just embarressed for the man. It wasn't pretty.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:24 PM   #135
dartman51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Tonalist representative receiving the trophy did nothing to ease the situation.

His terse "no comment" added fuel to the E/W rivalry.

Some sort of graceful understanding of the history/situation was in order, IMHO.
I didn't see anything wrong with his comment. I did have a problem with Costas trying to rain on the winners parade, by even mentioning it. As for the Triple Crown. Before Miguel Cabrera won the Triple Crown in baseball, in 2012, there hadn't been a winner since 1967. A longer drought than horse racing. I don't recall the Detroit Tigers demanding rules changed to make sure he made it to the end. I don't recall them bitching about the other teams bringing in "fresh" arms in the late innings, to try and get him out. You play the game by the rules, if you win, you win, if you don't, you try again. No whining, no crying. I only hope Coburn wakes up to the fact that horse racing was around a long time before he got in the game, and it'll be around a long time after he's out of it. In other words, he needs horse racing a lot more than horse racing needs him.
Closed Thread