Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-05-2018, 12:02 PM   #1
Andy Asaro

Great Idea. ‘Aftercare Grade’ to Be New Component of HANA Track Ratings

Excellent idea. Tip of the cap to HANA
We never quit,
A

Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2018, 12:11 PM   #2
Fred Mertz

Great Idea

I agree that this is an excellent idea.

I was in a small partnership some years ago with a filly and a colt. Finding both of them a good home wasn't easy or necessarily cheap, but we did and I'm happy about that.
Fred Mertz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2018, 01:43 PM   #3
MadVindication

That's exactly what I want to know. I don't want to knowingly support mistreatment of thoroughbreds financially, not even with a 2$ bet. When I consider betting a track, how the horses are treated after (and before) their racing career is over is something on my mind. A program like this can help hold accountability and makes it easier to abstain from tracks for personal beliefs and/or send letters of protest.
MadVindication is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2018, 02:41 PM   #4
AndyC

Why is this a track issue and not a horse owner issue?
AndyC is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2018, 04:29 PM   #5
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
And definitely not a horseplayer issue IMO. We pay enough. I'm certainly not against anyone donating and do so myself when I can, but that is a personal choice and shouldn't be something people are guilted into IMO.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2018, 05:21 PM   #6
MadVindication

Quote:
How do you define a horse owner? What if a horse is owned by 100 plus people.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:25 PM   #7
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadVindication View Post
How do you define a horse owner? What if a horse is owned by 100 plus people.
Horse owner = person or persons that own a horse

Usually a 100 plus people owning a horse would be done through a partnership. Responsibility should not be diminished by the number of owners or form of ownership.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:27 PM   #8
ultracapper

The tracks would have to weigh their need for horses on just how much influence they could exert on the owners, on any issue.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2018, 05:31 PM   #9
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
And definitely not a horseplayer issue IMO. We pay enough. I'm certainly not against anyone donating and do so myself when I can, but that is a personal choice and shouldn't be something people are guilted into IMO.
I agree. It is absurd that someone is allowed to participate in the "sport of kings" as an owner then allowed to summarily drop all responsibility for a horse once the racing has finished.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:32 PM   #10
MadVindication

Quote:
Horse owner = person or persons that own a horse

Usually a 100 plus people owning a horse would be done through a partnership. Responsibility should not be diminished by the number of owners or form of ownership.
No it shouldn't. So there would be primary owners of a partnership to hold responsible?

I think that track ratings also put pressure on owners/trainers just as well. Not sure how it can hinder gamblers. I think that the right to know, without having to be an insider or horseman, is important.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:36 PM   #11
MadVindication

On the flipside, it could also cause a lot of bad publicity if media zealots start sensationalising "50% of race tracks get poor grades in aftercare." Defining and upholding the standards of what good aftercare is could prove a tough business. What if too many tracks don't make the grade? Lower the standards to help industry and clear names?
Old 09-05-2018, 05:44 PM   #12
AndyC

Quote:
No it shouldn't. So there would be primary owners of a partnership to hold responsible?

I think that track ratings also put pressure on owners/trainers just as well. Not sure how it can hinder gamblers. I think that the right to know, without having to be an insider or horseman, is important.
A track doesn't own the horses and their rating should not be dependent on the aftercare of horses.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:03 PM   #13
MadVindication

Quote:
A track doesn't own the horses and their rating should not be dependent on the aftercare of horses.
The tracks get the take-outs. They profit just as much if not more on more horses being churned and discarded.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:58 PM   #14
AndyC

Quote:
The tracks get the take-outs. They profit just as much if not more on more horses being churned and discarded.
The tracks don't profit from a discarded horse. The one who profits is the deadbeat owner who relieves him/herself from supporting the horse.

In my view there should be a database of discarded horses along with the last owner's name. Any owner not taking financial responsibility should be forbidden from racing horses by the tracks. tracks that allow such owners to run should be boycotted. Anybody suggesting that horseplayers should pay the freight should be gelded.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:01 PM   #15
thaskalos

Quote:
The tracks don't profit from a discarded horse. The one who profits is the deadbeat owner who relieves him/herself from supporting the horse.

In my view there should be a database of discarded horses along with the last owner's name. Any owner not taking financial responsibility should be forbidden from racing horses by the tracks. tracks that allow such owners to run should be boycotted. Anybody suggesting that horseplayers should pay the freight should be gelded.
Is it against the racing rules to publicize the names of the last owners of the horses who end up neglected or surrendered to the slaughterhouses? Why haven't I ever seen such a list made public? Are these deadbeat owners worthy of the anonymity that the game protects them with?