Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
mannyberrios
easygoer

Joel Rosario in New York

Joel Rosario will move his tack to Gothem City. Go get em Joel
mannyberrios is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-17-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
Robert Fischer
clean money

This will be cool.

Has he been to New York for any extended period before?
Old 06-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #3
lamboguy

i couldn't find the story on him changing his tack. does anyone know who he has for an agent in New York?

its a tough place to work if you don't have the right guy handling his book.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
David-LV
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
i couldn't find the story on him changing his tack. does anyone know who he has for an agent in New York?

The way this guy rides & wins I could handle his book not knowing a single trainer.

_______
David-LV
David-LV is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-17-2012, 10:05 PM   #5
horses4courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-LV
The way this guy rides & wins I could handle his book not knowing a single trainer.

_______
David-LV
The So Cal jockey colony will have plenty more live horses to choose from now.
He did so well there with himself, and Bejarano, getting the cream of the crop.
Hope he does well in NY....won't be easy, though.
chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-17-2012, 10:17 PM   #6
NTamm1215

Quote:

He's keeping the same agent, Ronnie Ebanks, who used to work on the east coast. Ebanks was Jorge Chavez's agent when he was in his prime.
NTamm1215 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-17-2012, 10:22 PM   #7
ten2oneormore

Quote:

Joel Rosario, among the leading riders in Southern California, will be moving his tack to Belmont Park beginning June 27, his agent Ron Ebanks said Sunday.

Ebanks said he and Rosario had been contemplating a move to New York for the last year but expedited the decision due to the collarbone injury suffered Saturday night at Churchill Downs by John Velazquez, which is expected to keep him out of action for two months.

Ebanks, speaking by phone from California, also said the “best horses are going to be back there,” in New York. “That’s the main reason we’re coming there.”

Ebanks said he has already reached out to several New York horsemen that plan to use Rosario, who was the leading rider at the Santa Anita Park meet with 89 wins and who is currently third in the standings at Betfair Hollywood Park with 24 wins.

“There are lots of problems, that’s not going to be one of them,” Ebanks said. “They won’t leave Joel in the jockeys’ room.”

This year, Rosario ranks seventh in the country in races won with 116 and sixth in purse money won with $6,169,966.

Rosario, 24, is currently serving a suspension handed him by the California stewards. He is expected to return Saturday at Hollywood Park, where he will ride Via Villaggio in the Grade 2, $150,000 Hollywood Oaks. Next Sunday, he will ride Capital Plan in the Grade 3, $100,000 Beverly Hills Handicap, also at Hollywood.

Ebanks said Rosario would then come to New York and hope to begin riding June 27, the first day of the new condition book.

Rosario, a native of Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, has 1,354 career victories and has finished in the top five in purse money won the last three years.
ten2oneormore is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-17-2012, 10:42 PM   #8
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten2oneormore
Joel Rosario, among the leading riders in Southern California, will be moving his tack to Belmont Park beginning June 27, his agent Ron Ebanks said Sunday.

Ebanks said he and Rosario had been contemplating a move to New York for the last year but expedited the decision due to the collarbone injury suffered Saturday night at Churchill Downs by John Velazquez, which is expected to keep him out of action for two months.

Ebanks, speaking by phone from California, also said the “best horses are going to be back there,” in New York. “That’s the main reason we’re coming there.”

Ebanks said he has already reached out to several New York horsemen that plan to use Rosario, who was the leading rider at the Santa Anita Park meet with 89 wins and who is currently third in the standings at Betfair Hollywood Park with 24 wins.

“There are lots of problems, that’s not going to be one of them,” Ebanks said. “They won’t leave Joel in the jockeys’ room.”

This year, Rosario ranks seventh in the country in races won with 116 and sixth in purse money won with $6,169,966.

Rosario, 24, is currently serving a suspension handed him by the California stewards. He is expected to return Saturday at Hollywood Park, where he will ride Via Villaggio in the Grade 2, $150,000 Hollywood Oaks. Next Sunday, he will ride Capital Plan in the Grade 3, $100,000 Beverly Hills Handicap, also at Hollywood.

Ebanks said Rosario would then come to New York and hope to begin riding June 27, the first day of the new condition book.

Rosario, a native of Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, has 1,354 career victories and has finished in the top five in purse money won the last three years.
thank you, that helps me a lot now. i am going to try to put him on one of my horses his first day in new york. i love the way that kid rides babies, and i think he will fit my horse real well if he takes the mount.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2012, 12:42 AM   #9
David-LV
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses
The So Cal jockey colony will have plenty more live horses to choose from now.
He did so well there with himself, and Bejarano, getting the cream of the crop.
Hope he does well in NY....won't be easy, though.
The horse population in California is drying up with less racing days each week added to the mix lately.

I don't blame him there will be plenty of prime mounts for the top notch rider that Rosario is who is represented by one of the best agent's in the game today.

When you get down to it the objective of all owners & trainers is to win races and this boy has surely proven that he is a winner.

Rosario will have more business then he can handle.

________
David-LV
David-LV is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2012, 12:49 AM   #10
iceknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-LV
Rosario will have more business then he can handle.
________
David-LV
Another "Rosie" riding in NY now! Couldn't resist. But i really respect him as a top notch rider! Wish him well!
iceknight is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2012, 04:15 PM   #11
v j stauffer

Not a move I would advise. He's 6th in the nation in earnings. That with having a very quiet last 30 days because of chasing the Triple Crown, sadly having to attend to his brother and suspensions.

Not sure what the desired goal would be. Top 5 in the nation in total earnings? Already there. Live Triple Crown mounts? Already there. Breeders' Cup Prospects? Already there. Has won two.

Here's the thing. He's dominant in California. Something that is VERY VERY hard to accomplish. For some reason riders from back east with equal talent have tried it out here and failed. Never understood why but many have crawled home with their tail between their legs.

Also riding here is about 50,000 times easier logistically than bouncing around back east. Saratoga? Of course. What about the winter? Aqueduct ( inner ) don't think so for a kid from the Dominican. Keeneland? Sure. Will have build relationships. Gulfstream? Sure. Same story there.

California on the other hand is Valhalla for a guy that has his business. Fantastic weather year round. Live in the same house all but 7 weeks when somehow he has to endure a condo on a San Diego beach.

His morning work here is a total piece of cake. Breeze your stakes horses. Help out at Sadler's and a couple of marquee barns and kick around the backside politicing and visiting. Take some mornings off ( not an option at Belmont ) and ride nothing but 6/5 shots.

He and Bejarano are friends. More importantly their agents work together to freeze out other riders and keep the business in the top two family. VERY IMPORTANT! Also not possible back east.

I understand when you're young and super talented new adventures seem exciting. I say try river rafting, bungee jumping or of course musicals.

There's a certain little girl with Ruby slippers that said it best. And she was from Kansas for crying out loud. Not the paradise that So. Cal is.

Don't do it Joel. Beeeg Meeestake.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #12
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer
Here's the thing. He's dominant in California. Something that is VERY VERY hard to accomplish. For some reason riders from back east with equal talent have tried it out here and failed. Never understood why but many have crawled home with their tail between their legs.
Could you pls name five? I'm sure you're right, but just jog my memory.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #13
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
5? I'd like to see him name two.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2012, 04:47 PM   #14
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
Cordero, Santos, Jorge Velasquez, Cauthen, Leparoux.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:51 PM   #15
turninforhome10

Pros of the deal
New horses
Chance for 2yo that might have a classic future in East coast racing.
Ebanks is sharp.
Timing of Johnny V changes the colony order of preference somewhat.
Chance for nice Ramsey horses-I see a bond there that could be fruitful.
Nothing left to prove at Del Mar- 3 riding titles in a row. Little 2yo activity. IMHO
Riding style fits Saratoga speedy angles and grass sprints.
Never went to the SPA for the summer.
Steaks at Ciro's and new networking possibilities.
Not riding Fairplex.
Ability to ride stakes at 8 different tracks all within 8-10 hrs.
Cons of the Deal
Loose a chance at 4 riding titles in a row at Del Mar.
Loose good business
Getting up early to get on horses for business.
Riding 20-1 shots to get into the barns of trainers.
Not getting live mounts
Shuck out some serious coin for good housing.
Whole new horse population to learn.
Avoiding injury getting on maybe some questionable mounts.

If Ron Ebanks does this right, Rosario can overcome many of the cons. Once in a lifetime shot and can always come back for the Oak Tree meeting or go to Keeneland. Winter at SA.
I am hoping this works into first call for the Ramsey horses. Imagine he could get business from Wesley Ward. Really he could play his cards right and step in for Johnny V for a lot scenarios. Not comparing the two.
He should go for it while he is young.
Will he have an impact? See him lucky to be 10-13% winners to starters but should have a shot at some decent purse money in stakes.
How many riders have came from the West to do well in the East?

Last edited by turninforhome10; 06-18-2012 at 04:54 PM.
turninforhome10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply