Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-20-2012, 09:25 PM   #46
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten2oneormore
That may be true but who is he going to take mounts from?

Dominguez=No
Castellano=No
Johhny V=No
C Val=Still going to get L Rice's live ones
Castro=Still gets McLaughlin's live ones if not Garcia or Maragh
Lezcano=Gets C Clement's live ones if not then Leparoux
J Alvarado=Has been building relationships for 2 years
Rosie=Don't see how anyone could be disappointed with her.

I guess like someone said he could try to get the Ramsey horses but Castellano has been riding quite a bit for Maker.

Going to be tough

Does anybody really think any of these guys, including Ramon, is a better rider than Rosario? I sure as hell don't. It's going to take time but I have no doubt Rosario will be the top rider on any circuit he wants, including NY. Rosario and Bajarano are the cream of the crop, not just in Cali, but in the country. And I'm a Florida boy who has followed East Coast racing from the time I was a child. It just is what it is, though.
Producer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2012, 09:33 PM   #47
Karakiozis
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Producer
Does anybody really think any of these guys, including Ramon, is a better rider than Rosario? I sure as hell don't. It's going to take time but I have no doubt Rosario will be the top rider on any circuit he wants, including NY. Rosario and Bajarano are the cream of the crop, not just in Cali, but in the country. And I'm a Florida boy who has followed East Coast racing from the time I was a child. It just is what it is, though.
Time will tell, IMO tail between legs and back to 5 horse fields in the minors in CA.
Karakiozis is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2012, 10:06 PM   #48
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

He's liable to get lost in the big 6 horse fields we have here!
Old 06-20-2012, 10:16 PM   #49
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
That's probably the key here. Do you know when Cordero rode in Cali and for how long?
He was seriously injured in a spill at the end of December,1987. He rode at Toga that August, so he couldn't have been there too long.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:17 PM   #50
NTamm1215

Quote:
Dominguez is a much better rider than Rosario. While Rosario is a fine rider, he shows no willingness whatsoever to save ground, is very average riding speed, and has not distinguished himself in big race opportunities.
NTamm1215 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2012, 12:01 AM   #51
jelly
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer
Exactly my point. This was never about the relative strengths of the two curcuits and talents of the riders. If I had to choose I'd lean towards the east because of a greater number of elite riders and stiffer competition.

What I am trying to say is Joel has achieved #1 status here therefore I see no reason to leave. He makes a boatlod of money. Always top 5 in the country. He is relivant on both the Derby Trail and Breeders Cup and he lives in IMO the greatest place in the country to not only reside but to ride.

A situation that I think almost any rider would be thrilled to achieve.

While reading these posts I admit two points have come up that I didn't totally think through. First, the desire to explore and conquer new challenges. I totally get that. I remember when I felt that way. Jimmy Carter was president but I do remember. Secondly, I know for an absolute fact that he could leave for as long as he wants and come back to the exact same status. Very nice place to be.

Joel is super talented. He'll get even better riding on the east coast and Kentucky because of the depth of the colony and more importantly field sizes. That part alone will force him to make adjustments that will force him to get even better.

It'll be fun to see how he does. Wonder how long it'll take Raffie to get all the bugs off his teeth. Joe, Martin and Go Go too.

I think you answered your own question Vic.Why wouldn't a young jock want to get better?

You better be nice to Andy,the way things are going out in California you might need him for a Job referral
jelly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2012, 12:02 AM   #52
David-LV
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215
Dominguez is a much better rider than Rosario. While Rosario is a fine rider, he shows no willingness whatsoever to save ground, is very average riding speed, and has not distinguished himself in big race opportunities.
Much better I think not!!

I watch tons of replays daily, and still play both harness and thoroughbreds 3 to 5 day a week and in my 50+ years of handicapping which started at Roosevelt Raceway in the fall of 1957 and having owned both many thoroughbreds & standardbreds throughout my many years.

I personally think in harness racing the Driver is about 20%, the Trip 20%, and the Horse is about 60%.

In thoroughbred racing Jockey about 5%, the Trip 15%, and the Horse 80%.

Either Dominguez or Rosario will get the job done when on the best Horse, that is the 80% that I spoke about above.

The agent is the key ingredient when it comes down to the elite jockeys and both Dominguez and Rosario have great and proven agents.

There are very little differences when you are comparing these elite jockeys.

This is just my opinion so don't rip me apart for giving an opinion.

________
David-LV

BTW:

Famous saying from the great Eddie Arcaro for those that remember him when asked the question.

"Does the jockey mean anything in a race?"

Arcaro answer was "I never won a race without a horse."

I posted Eddie Arcaro's Record below for those that are interested:

Career wins 4,779 Major racing wins, honuors and awards Major racing wins

Jockey Club Gold Cup (10)
Wood Memorial Stakes (9)
Suburban Handicap (8)
Kentucky Oaks (4)
Kentucky Derby (5)
Preakness Stakes (6)
Belmont Stakes (6)
Racing awards
United States Triple Crown (1941 & 1948)
United States Champion Jockey by earnings
(1940, 1942, 1948, 1950, 1952, 1958)
George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award (1953)
Big Sport of Turfdom Award (1974)
Honours United States Racing Hall of Fame (1958)
Eddie Arcaro Stakes at Hialeah Park

Significant horses Whirlaway, Citation, Ponder, Hoop Jr., Challedon, Kelso, Nashua, Mark-Ye-Well, Hill Prince, Bold Ruler, Sword Dancer, Real Delight

Last edited by David-LV; 06-21-2012 at 12:15 AM.
David-LV is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2012, 01:31 AM   #53
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelly
I think you answered your own question Vic.Why wouldn't a young jock want to get better?

You better be nice to Andy,the way things are going out in California you might need him for a Job referral
I'm always both nice and respectful to Andy. Wish it was reciprocal.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:39 AM   #54
toetoe
Veteran

Come on, Vic.

Gimme a hug !!!
toetoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2012, 04:41 AM   #55
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer
I'm always both nice and respectful to Andy. Wish it was reciprocal.
why should he? he picks more winners than you do, and for that matter, almost everyone else here
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2012, 07:06 AM   #56
ten2oneormore

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-LV

I watch tons of replays daily, and still play both harness and thoroughbreds 3 to 5 day a week and in my 50+ years of handicapping which started at Roosevelt Raceway in the fall of 1957 and having owned both many thoroughbreds & standardbreds throughout my many years.

I personally think in harness racing the Driver is about 20%, the Trip 20%, and the Horse is about 60%.

Either Dominguez or Rosario will get the job done when on the best Horse, that is the 80% that I spoke about above.

The agent is the key ingredient when it comes down to the elite jockeys and both Dominguez and Rosario have great and proven agents.

________
David-LV

Quote:

Don't know why you two feel that you have to add your portfolio in order to appear knowledgeable.Your opinion says enough about that.
ten2oneormore is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2012, 07:54 AM   #57
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-LV

________
David-LV

BTW:

Famous saying from the great Eddie Arcaro for those that remember him when asked the question.

"Does the jockey mean anything in a race?"

Arcaro answer was "I never won a race without a horse."

I posted Eddie Arcaro's Record below for those that are interested:

Career wins 4,779 Major racing wins, honuors and awards Major racing wins

Jockey Club Gold Cup (10)
Wood Memorial Stakes (9)
Suburban Handicap (8)
Kentucky Oaks (4)
Kentucky Derby (5)
Preakness Stakes (6)
Belmont Stakes (6)
Racing awards
United States Triple Crown (1941 & 1948)
United States Champion Jockey by earnings
(1940, 1942, 1948, 1950, 1952, 1958)
George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award (1953)
Big Sport of Turfdom Award (1974)
Honours United States Racing Hall of Fame (1958)
Eddie Arcaro Stakes at Hialeah Park

Significant horses Whirlaway, Citation, Ponder, Hoop Jr., Challedon, Kelso, Nashua, Mark-Ye-Well, Hill Prince, Bold Ruler, Sword Dancer, Real Delight
Your opinion is wrong in this case, but don't worry. Another 50 or so years and you'll figure it out.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2012, 07:57 AM   #58
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
why should he? he picks more winners than you do, and for that matter, almost everyone else here
You should tell more stories about the horses you "own". Nothing brings a thread to a halt like that.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #59
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698
You should tell more stories about the horses you "own". Nothing brings a thread to a halt like that.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #60
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
He was seriously injured in a spill at the end of December,1987. He rode at Toga that August, so he couldn't have been there too long.
Someone said it was in the 70s. I'd like to see the stats? If he was there for two months, who cares...
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply