Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:57 PM   #1
Tara73
Veteran

I'm An Andy Serling Fan But..

I want to say that I'm a Andy Serling fan and the in house broadcast is the best in the industry. It was recently posted here that Andy wasn't as sharp handicapping this meet. Someone presumed that Andy had too much going on with his radio show, his Fox show and all his other pursuits and responsibilities. We just can't assume this was case and I didn't believe it. But the last few weeks of the meet Andy seemed lost. Constantly mentioning to Mike Beer that he missed something after Mike bought up an obvious point. I really started to wonder about Andy and was he actually watching the races anymore? When he said that Banana Thief did no running in his last race and was a bad favorite I really started to wonder. Banana Thief was never comfortable in that race and it wasn't an easy trip as applied by Andy. Anyone watching the head on of that race would have made that determination. I know that Andy is well liked on this message board and I'll probably come under attack for posting my opinion. I just feel It had to be said.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:42 PM   #2
jk3521
Registered Loser

He did pick the winner of the last race of the last race of the meet for a nice fat mutual ( 28.60 ]. I like listening to his input on the races, maybe he seems to look too often for excuses of bad trips for poor performances in past races. Lots of times horses have bad trips and still win. I like the way he handicapped the connections more this past Saratoga meet. That's why they show up at the Spa. To make a hit on the big stage.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:46 PM   #3
Zydeco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara73
I want to say that I'm a Andy Serling fan and the in house broadcast is the best in the industry. It was recently posted here that Andy wasn't as sharp handicapping this meet. Someone presumed that Andy had too much going on with his radio show, his Fox show and all his other pursuits and responsibilities. We just can't assume this was case and I didn't believe it. But the last few weeks of the meet Andy seemed lost. Constantly mentioning to Mike Beer that he missed something after Mike bought up an obvious point. I really started to wonder about Andy and was he actually watching the races anymore? When he said that Banana Thief did no running in his last race and was a bad favorite I really started to wonder. Banana Thief was never comfortable in that race and it wasn't an easy trip as applied by Andy. Anyone watching the head on of that race would have made that determination. I know that Andy is well liked on this message board and I'll probably come under attack for posting my opinion. I just feel It had to be said.
Ok I'm a newbie at this but i will respond....you said.."Banana Thief was never comfortable in that race and it wasn't an easy trip" Andy said "Banana Thief did no running in his last race and was a bad favorite" Looks like the same conclusion just different words. (Ducking for cover!!)
Old 09-02-2014, 09:57 PM   #4
Tara73
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zydeco
Ok I'm a newbie at this but i will respond....you said.."Banana Thief was never comfortable in that race and it wasn't an easy trip" Andy said "Banana Thief did no running in his last race and was a bad favorite" Looks like the same conclusion just different words. (Ducking for cover!!)
Banana Thief was never comfortable due to his positioning in the race and was not aggressively ridden the last furlong. The quick turnaround confirmed that the race was a complete throw out. Andy knocked the performance while I dismissed the race. Big difference newbie.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:20 PM   #5
alydar

You know, I read this kind of crap and ask myself why does anyone post this? Look Serling and others in his line of work are there to give players some insights into the race. That is it, take it or leave it. If you are not satisfied or do not like for some other reason, don't listen. At the end of the day, hopefully you are making up your on mind on how to wager.

Bottom line is that what he and NYRA offers is better than most others out there. I am not sure what you want and what is your motivation for posts like this.

Last edited by alydar; 09-02-2014 at 10:30 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:31 PM   #6
Zydeco

Quote:
Banana Thief was never comfortable due to his positioning in the race and was not aggressively ridden the last furlong. The quick turnaround confirmed that the race was a complete throw out. Andy knocked the performance while I dismissed the race. Big difference newbie.
Thank you for explaining the difference between knocking the performance and dismissing the race to this newbie. (Help, Ralph?? )
Old 09-02-2014, 11:04 PM   #7
the little guy

I was soooooooo busy with the FOX shows that the day of the last one I only picked seven winners.

Sorry if I occasionally admit to missing something. I'll try to be less honest going forward, and then maybe I can be right about every race like everyone else.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:09 PM   #8
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zydeco
Thank you for explaining the difference between knocking the performance and dismissing the race to this newbie. (Help, Ralph?? )
Wow! Tough room
Old 09-02-2014, 11:20 PM   #9
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
I know that Andy is well liked on this message board
With threads like this, you had me fooled.

Quote:
and I'll probably come under attack for posting my opinion.
What an odd thought to have...

Quote:
I just feel It had to be said.
An even odder thought...
Old 09-02-2014, 11:28 PM   #10
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Andy is without a doubt one of the best, if not the best on-air handicapper covering the game today (I don't watch them all, so I can't say for absolute certain he's the very best...but I'd feel comfortable making that wager...just keeping it real). That's it in a nutshell.

Nobody displays more passion, nobody works harder at the craft, and nobody gives out as much solid handicapping opinions as Andy. That's all there is to it. Even his haters know this deep down in their cold little heart of hearts (and I despise the term "hater," but in this particular instance, it fits perfectly). That's why when they desperately try and come up with something negative about him, they look so downright foolish doing it...and they know they're being ridiculous, but they just can't help themselves...for one reason or another, they're haters, and always will be.

But nobody can deny the little guy knows his stuff...inside and out...end of story.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:29 PM   #11
thespaah

Quote:
What is your point?
TLG does an outstanding job.
Tell ya what..Find us a public handicapper with a better than average insight and ability to analyze a myriad of different factors then in the span of a few minutes( allowed for each race on the card) than TLG and you get a gold star.
Better yet, do your OWN research, ignore the public handicappers and have at it.
This is not a flame. Merely a counterpoint.
Good day to you.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:30 PM   #12
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Andy is without a doubt one of the best, if not the best on-air handicapper covering the game today (I don't watch them all, so I can't say for absolute certain he's the very best...but I'd feel comfortable making that wager...just keeping it real). That's it in a nutshell.

Nobody displays more passion, nobody works harder at the craft, and nobody gives out as much solid handicapping opinions as Andy. That's all there is to it. Even his haters know this deep down in their cold little heart of hearts (and I despise the term "hater," but in this particular instance, it fits perfectly). That's why when they desperately try and come up with something negative about him, they look so downright foolish doing it...and they know they're being ridiculous, but they just can't help themselves...for one reason or another, they're haters, and always will be.

But nobody can deny the little guy knows his stuff...inside and out...end of story.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:52 PM   #13
DeoVolente

Here's some food for thought.

Andy is at the track everyday and puts in all this work. It's possible no other human being puts in more hours handicapping and watching races. Two thoughts come to mind.

1-Perhaps Andy should be doing better considering the effort.

2-If Andy can't do better, what does it say about the chances of the average horse player who can't be at the track everyday and who can't dedicate all those hours to handicapping.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:00 AM   #14
LottaKash

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
I'll try to be less honest going forward, and then maybe I can be right about every race like everyone else.
Except for me, I always miss one or two...
Old 09-03-2014, 12:06 AM   #15
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Andy and I aren't exactly pals, but I respect his job and all that he does for our game.
Closed Thread