Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Selections

Old 02-18-2019, 12:15 PM   #1
Teach

Aqueduct: Monday, February 18

Race One:

1 STAR SWEEP was “never involved” in large-field first-pari-mutuel try. Better suited for turf?

ANALYZE WITH HONOR may benefit from slight turn-back. Should move up on wet track.

3 ALPHARDINI showed little against better at PARX. First-time blinkers for a trainer who does well with maiden-claimers.

4 SHANGHAI SMILE showed little in this company over a month ago. Yet, the red-hot Eric Cancel reprises.

RATTLE THE STARS showed little in his last. Yet this Haynesfield-bred filly does have wet-track pedigree. She’ll move up on the wet going. Jose Lezcano for Steve Asmussen. Blinkers off.

SWAGGERETTE showed little in her last against better. May improve with blinkers and Lasix. Trainer Debra Breed does well with 2nd career races. Yet, this filly may be better suited for the turf. How will she handle a wet track?

HEARTBUSTINGIRL looks likes…appears to be “The Horse”. This Bustin Stones-bred finished 2nd to a runaway winner at “The Spa” last summer. She was a belated 3rd in a more recent effort over one month ago. Solid connections: Manny Franco and Todd Pletcher. City Zip breeding (that means Carson City) means she should handle the wet track. I like outside starting post. Adds blinkers.

Race Two:

PROXIMATE TO POWER should move up on wet track, i.e., Storm Cat. Manny Franco in the irons. Recent claim. Beaten odds-on favorite in last. Should handle the distance.

3 THANK YOU SO MUCH is a horse I find hard to see as a contender; yet there is wet-track pedigree, i.e., Empire Maker. Possible minor award in exotic.

CALL ME has been competitive at this level. He should handle both the wet track and the distance. This gelding should be on or near the lead. Appears, at the least, to be a board-hitter. Reylu Gutierrez for Todd Pletcher.

FILLET OF SOLE was scratched out of a recent race and has now landed in this field. He has faced better. This chestnut has solid wet-track pedigree, i.e., Dixie Union. Yet, this 5-year old has had the habit of being “The Best Man” instead of "taking his vows". Yet, today could be different. I believe: a “contendah”. Jose Lezcano for Jason Servis.

NEVER NEVERMORE is most definitely a “player” here. You don’t have to be Edgar Allen Poe to figure that out. He won a similar race under similar conditions at the beginning of the year. He has a sharp morning work. Eric cancel for David Donk.

7 ADMIRAL BLUE can handle the distance and the conditions. I see him more as a horse who’s capable of completing a tri or super. Junior for Rudy Rodriguez.

Race Three:

1 ROSES FOR BEN does not look like she can handle the distance.

LOW IS LAINE (Where’s Clark Kent?) looks more like a turf horse. Yet, to earn a minor award. Not out of the question.

3 BIG EXPENSE looks better suited for the sprints. I'd be surprised if she were to hit the tote.

4 YOUTH GONE WILD is not on my radar screen.

5 FERNCOURT is an unlikely board-hitter.

MY FIRST GAL looks like a “player”; yet, can she get the mile? There are, frankly, a lot of question-marks. As Teddy Roosevelt might have said: Tread lightly and be wary of making a big bet! I would be cautious when “spreading the lettuce”.

FIRST DAWN should handle a wet track; but can she go the mile? I have my doubts. A possible minor award?

WANNA BE REGAL is – if, indeed, I needed to choose one in this claiming field – “The Horse.” Yet, this mare is a tepid, lukewarm, half-baked, unenthusiastic choice. In this race, as Cole Porter might have penned: “Anything Goes”. Luis Reyes for Norm Follett.

Race Four:

TRUSTWORTHY is a “player,” sin duda! Yet, this gelding never quite seems to be at the end of the “receiving line,” if you get my drift. Could today be the day? Certainly possible. Manny Franco for “The Streets of Laredo,” Steve Asmussen.

2 DOUBLE DEEP is analogous to a baseball player who is a world-beater in the minors but can’t hit batting practice pitches in the Majors. I get that feeling about this guy. Ambitiously entered against much tougher company.

HERO’S WELCOME could be…might just be…today’s BEST BET (tympany). He finished 4th in the JazilB. He looks too good for this field. Wet track: No problem. Junior Alvarado for Gary Contessa.

4 POTOMAC moves up from the claiming ranks; yet he can handle a wet track (Gone West). I see him as a possible board-hitter.

5 MYSTICAL SONG is gonna be tested here. I have my doubts that he can get the distance.

DR HIPP is interesting. “Verrrry Interesting!” A 2-1 choice in the Pegasus at Monmouth last June (he finished 4th). A recent claim; he now resides in the Dave Duggan barn. Uncle Mo (Indian Charlie). I’d watch him both on the tote and the walking ring.

DARK N CLOUDY will be hustled away early. He could, in the words of Rip Van Winkle, be “the sleeper”. Yet, he may be tested for “the distance”. If Jose Lezcano can put this guy on the lead, he’ll need to ration out his speed and endurance. This guy is not out of the question.

Race Five:

1 DILLON ROCKS chances evolve around the question: “Does he go one mile?” I have concerns. Not that it can’t happen, but… He can, at his best, be part. Dylan Davis for Bob Barbara.

HABITUE is my LONGSHOT SPECIAL. I love the wet-track breeding: Pioneerof the Nile (Empire Maker). Think American Pharoah. On the bottom: “I’m Wild Gain…Beguiled Again…Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered… You get da picture: I love Wild Again-bred horses on a wet track. That’s Icecapade. Can he do it? You bet your dupah. Now that I’ve waxed eloquently, I am “buying insurance”.

CASTLE CASANOVA went chalk in his only start and got nipped. The stretch may help. Junior reprises for Jeremiah Englehart.

4 GRUMPS LITTLE TOTS looks more like a sprinter than a router. That doesn’t mean he can’t, but… I’m of the feeling that he may be overbet. He does have Manny Franco for Jason Servis.

PICKLE RICK is “the horse” if my “longshot special” doesn’t pop. There’s a lot to like about the wet-track breeding. The most capable Brad Cox trains. Jose Lezcano reprises.

CHILLY IN CHARGE was a horse that I was going to assign as an also ran; yet, upon further review, I can make a case for this A.P. Indy-bred. This colt stretches a panel. He should handle the wet track. He looks like he wants to come from behind. And, his trainer, albeit with a limited sampling, is 40% with first at a route. This “shipper” has a shot.

Race Six:

BEYOND DISCREET looks like a plodder who can handle a wet track. Based on that, I give this mare a solid chance of gracing the tote.

2 SUMMER SQUEEZE has been off “for the longest time”. I find this bay filly hard to recommend.

MY GIRL ANNIE has faced better. She moves up, markedly, on a wet track. As “Nicely Nicely” might have said: “Can do.” The veteran Mike Luzzi for Bruce Levine.

4 COTTON CANDY CUTIE merits consideration. Yet there is the question of whether she can get the mile? If she hits the tote, I wouldn’t be surprised; yet to get her picture taken…that seems remote.

5 PEACHES AND SPICE does not catch my attention.

6 CIRQUE appears to be more of a sprinter than a router.

THAT’S SMART could wake up here. He can be used in gimmicks. I wouldn’t rule him out as a “picture-taker.” Junior reprises for Tom Bush.

ELEGANT JEM is a definite “player”. I believe this mare will go “chalk”. She appears, at the very least, to be a board-hitter”. She should be on or near the lead. Rajiv Maragh for Jeremiah Englehart.

Race Seven:

TRANCE/ RALLY CAP. 1 Trance is a “player” but may want to go longer. Eric Cancel must get this gelding in the game, sooner than later. 1A Rally Cap also merits consideration from his outside post. One or both may outrun their odds.

2 BEACHSIDE’s only win came on a wet track. Yet, I’m not enamored with his inside starting post. Still…

3 BUSTIN TO BE LOVED does not appear to fit.

4 RIKEN Is another I can’t get too excited about.

LONDON HOUSE is what I call: a “Ms. Jean’s “Romper Room”. Only this one’s for real. Could this be “any kinda horse”? He appears to love wet-track conditions. Jose Lezcano for the Hall-of-Famer from Gettysburg, SD, Steve Asmussen.

STRIVE FOR A CURE looks like he wants to go longer. To hit the board: not out of the question.

KADENS COURAGE is a colt that merits serious consideration. Manny Franco for Rudy Rodriguez.

Race Eight:

1 SUDDEN SURPRISE appears overmatched in the Hollie Hughes.

4 TRIBECCA has not fashionable enough here to contend. Also ran.

5 BAVARO is another horse who has been ambitiously entered against stronger competitors.

6 BLUEGRASS EXPRESS would be a serious surprise.

EYE LUV LULU is possible; yet I’m looking toward a minor award. Can be used in exotics.

RUNAWAY LUTE is not out of the question. Yet, again, I’m looking for a possible minor award.

CELTIC CHAOS is not out of the question. No way. Draws outside. May want to go longer, but…

Race Nine:

HATTIE L, in my opinion, outruns her M/L odds. Moves up on wet track. Jose Lezcano for Todd Pletcher.

MY VICTORIA ROSE is dropping; she can be dangerous.

3 CAPE ANN appears to be a rank outsider.

WISCONSIN NIGHT is making a severe drop. Should take a lot of do-re-mi. I’m suspicious. No lead-pipe cinch.

6 TIFFANY’S VISION does not show much.

7 PARTY IN THE SAND is worthy of consideration. Manny Franco for Charley Baker. Capable of hitting tote.

8 CLAIRE’S KITTY. There’s “litter” to recommend.

9 ZECHA did win at this level, three-back. Could earn a minor award.

PARLAPIANO is a distaffer that can hit the board. I like the outside post. This filly fits. There is serious wet-track breeding.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: