Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-15-2019, 02:05 PM   #46
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
You have to prove that you can drive a car before you are allowed to drive on public roads. What you need to do to get a driver's license is a state issue, as is the issue of buying a gun or getting a concealed carry permit.

The exception is that gun dealers are federally licensed, and a licensed dealer has to do a background check before selling a gun. State requirements vary. Few if any require training to buy a gun. Quite a few require certified training to get a concealed carry permit.
I have mentioned here before that I am a gun owner, and that I have carried a gun on my person for most days over the last 10 or so years. I say this because I don't want to be confused with the "gun hater", who wants to take guns away from people. But, IMO, buying a gun even for just "home use" should involve more than just a background check conducted by a gun dealer. How many of the home-shooting "accidents" that we hear of could have been prevented by the most rudimentary gun-safety instruction that all the gun buyers should, IMO, be subjected to? Why would a responsible gun owner object to receiving some basic gun-safety instruction when he brings such a dangerous tool into his household? And, as I've stated here before...GUN TRAINING should be an absolute MUST if a person chooses to carry his weapon amidst the general public.

People say that the law has no right to intervene into our "constitutional rights"...but the act of owning a gun ventures into the sort of territory where certain precautions must be taken against the very real possibility of the sort of tragedies that we see on a pretty regular basis.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:09 PM   #47
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66 View Post
In the last year I bought a dozen 30 rounders and a dozen 40 rounders for the AR. And a 120 rounder but it's so damn heavy you need a tri-pod lol.
Better find a good place to bury those if the ban passes. (It won't.)

The previous "assault weapon ban" grandfathered existing guns and magazines. Apparently this one would "prohibit the transfer, importation, or possession of magazines able to hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition." The idea of enforcing a ban on possession of "hi-cap" mags is insane.

This bill could pass the Dem House, but it would need 60 votes in a Senate that currently has 53 Republicans.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:26 PM   #48
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
But, IMO, buying a gun even for just "home use" should involve more than just a background check conducted by a gun dealer. How many of the home-shooting "accidents" that we hear of could have been prevented by the most rudimentary gun-safety instruction that all the gun buyers should, IMO, be subjected to? Why would a responsible gun owner object to receiving some basic gun-safety instruction when he brings such a dangerous tool into his household? And, as I've stated here before...GUN TRAINING should be an absolute MUST if a person chooses to carry his weapon amidst the general public.
I agree with you, and I think it is nuts for anyone buying a gun for the first time not to take a good safety and shooting course. And even take a refresher course from time to time. (Something I have not done in a long time.) I was not talking about what should be, but what is, and is unlikely to change any time soon. I just checked, and only about half the states require a training course to get a concealed carry permit. That is something that really should be required.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:24 PM   #49
ultracapper

The biggest fights in this issue should be exactly the one that started the thread, the killing capacity of the weapon. In the world where I, and a couple other hundred million people live, whether Chad has 10 rounds or 20 rounds is meaningless. He's got me over a barrel either way if I give him reason to encounter me with his gun. But there are those that it does matter a great deal to, and those people are the very reason for the 2nd amendment to the US Constitution. We can not allow for those kind of capacity restrictions. I know it sounds backwards, but the most dangerous thing to my safety, and to the majority of the people like me, is the little pea shooter hid in the small of the back or strapped to a calf. These are the weapons that are dangerous to me, but to the people that the 2nd amendment is in place to protect me from, they couldn't care less about those Saturday Night Specials. The only reason they address them at all is because it's another slit to slide the camel's nose in through. They want those powerful weapons dealt with, and frankly, I feel absolutely no danger at all from Chad's arsenal, but some drunk 17 year old kid with his shiny little 9mm getting egged on by his equally drunk buddies scares shit out of me. I DO NOT encourage the outlawing of these weapons either, but training, registering, monitoring those that want them, and accounting for those weapons, is something I encourage STRONGLY. I don't want to restrict Thask's ability to protect himself as best as possible, but I do want to know that he is handling that weapon responsibly and knows what he's doing with it when he ever has a need to utilize it.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-15-2019, 06:39 PM   #50
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Some of you guys are funny.

The other night in my restaurant there were 2 guys in their 70’s walking around with very expensive .45 caliber pistols hanging on their belts. One was so damn shiny you almost had to cover your eyes. Nobody gave a damn.......
Old 02-15-2019, 08:12 PM   #51
ultracapper

And the whole world is just like Houston, Tx.

Whatever.

Try that in San Francisco and see if no one cares. Because they think different in SF than they do in Hou, the good fight must be fought.

Last edited by ultracapper; 02-15-2019 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:32 PM   #52
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Some of you guys are funny.

The other night in my restaurant there were 2 guys in their 70’s walking around with very expensive .45 caliber pistols hanging on their belts. One was so damn shiny you almost had to cover your eyes. Nobody gave a damn.......
In my younger years you might have called me the restaurant guy, these days you could find me at any one of Market Basket food stores in southern New Hampshire. Every single week I see someone doing the open carry (legal here as well as no permit needed) and others that print too much in Market Basket. This week I viewed a guy half my age with a pricey H&K openly with his two very young 5 or 6 yo daughters. While waiting for his cold cuts at the deli a older lady was talking to his girls like it did not matter.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-15-2019, 09:40 PM   #53
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
Better find a good place to bury those if the ban passes. (It won't.)

The previous "assault weapon ban" grandfathered existing guns and magazines. Apparently this one would "prohibit the transfer, importation, or possession of magazines able to hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition." The idea of enforcing a ban on possession of "hi-cap" mags is insane.

This bill could pass the Dem House, but it would need 60 votes in a Senate that currently has 53 Republicans.
living where I'm at I won't worry about it one bit. Police in this state aren't going to confiscate or collect any type of weapon that is currently available. And i think that will be the case in the majority of the states. Having my guns confiscated is something I never ever worry about.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2019, 06:07 AM   #54
sammy the sage

As I stated in the other thread....better hope that Trump's emergency crap about the wall gets shut down quickly by the courts....or we're going to have Liberal President in THE future announce a Nat'l Emergency over gun control....
Old 02-16-2019, 04:37 PM   #55
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy the sage View Post
As I stated in the other thread....better hope that Trump's emergency crap about the wall gets shut down quickly by the courts....or we're going to have Liberal President in THE future announce a Nat'l Emergency over gun control....
nonsense. are you trying to be a better gun salesman than Obama?
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2019, 05:09 PM   #56
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66 View Post
nonsense. are you trying to be a better gun salesman than Obama?
I agree, the third rail will be live long after we are gone.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:54 PM   #57
ultracapper

Here's a question, that I already have an opinion about, but I don't want to share it until it's been tossed around here a bit.

What do you think the "tipping" point was for Ruby Ridge or the Kuresh Compound? What was the ultimate issue, and what was the ultimate event or occurrence that finally sent DOJ over the edge and they finally said "We need to do something about this, at all costs."?
Old 02-16-2019, 06:00 PM   #58
elysiantraveller

Nope...

Not at all a Alt-Right board...
Old 02-16-2019, 06:12 PM   #59
fast4522

My question is do you two guys live close to each other?
Old 02-16-2019, 06:28 PM   #60
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper View Post
Here's a question, that I already have an opinion about, but I don't want to share it until it's been tossed around here a bit.

What do you think the "tipping" point was for Ruby Ridge or the Kuresh Compound? What was the ultimate issue, and what was the ultimate event or occurrence that finally sent DOJ over the edge and they finally said "We need to do something about this, at all costs."?
You say that as if there was a rational, organized, top-down decision-making process involved in either case.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: