Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:39 PM   #196
Marshall Bennett

Felt the same way when Earl Campbell went to New Orleans. Better to quit than end it playing for a shit-team and risk injury.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2015, 10:02 PM   #197
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by delayjf
Given the contract he just signed I would nominate Cam Newton as the most overrated and over paid. I feel the same way about Kaepernick and Wilson. IMO, neither one could carry a team like Brady or Manning.
Considering all the hype Kaepernick got when he bumped Alex Smith out of the starter role, I'd have to agree. He's absolutely brutal. One of the worst QBs in the NFL and right now, Blaine Gabbert would be an improvement.

That Alex Smith trade doesn't look to good right now for the Niners.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2015, 10:18 PM   #198
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
Considering all the hype Kaepernick got when he bumped Alex Smith out of the starter role, I'd have to agree. He's absolutely brutal. One of the worst QBs in the NFL and right now, Blaine Gabbert would be an improvement.

Good Call.

A guy like Kaep is great when he's got the salary of a Free-Agent backup, and the security of a backup in a journeyman like Smith. He's like a Mike Vick that will listen to the coaches. Opens passing lanes for his sub-par accuracy and passing skills by being a dynamic threat to run. Best to have 2 of these guys.

Once you give the guy all the credit and give him the salary of a good starting QB, you've just eliminated all your competitive advantages. -He now is no longer cheap, and you are scared to let him get hurt while he should be out there establishing the run with his legs.
Add to that the rapid decline of the franchise, with the Coach Harbaugh leaving and the Offensive Coordinator Roman(happens to have built a Kaepernick 'clone' over in Buffalo in Tyrod Taylor...), and Kaepernick is completely worthless.

a worthless player who has a 6 year 114,000,000 deal w/ 61,000,000 guaranteed.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 10-04-2015 at 10:21 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2015, 01:22 AM   #199
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Most overrated boxer...anyone that knows boxing will back me up in a heartbeat-- Prince Naseem Hamed. This "champion" clown humiliated lesser fighters with his histrionics and showboating in the ring, until he met a true world class fighter, Mexico's Marco Antonio Barrera.
It was like accidentally dropping a kitten into a lion's cage, but was even funnier since the kitten felt it necessary to have a bold ISLAM on the back of his trunks, for some damn reason.
To insure he was never exposed like this again, the fake "prince" quickly retired from boxing.
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2015, 09:21 AM   #200
Tor Ekman

NCG - I greatly enjoyed that fight. The clown prince got schooled by the "Baby Faced Assassin" that night. IIRC, pre-fight Barrerra had a great line that Nasseem can talk about Allah all he wants, but Allah isn't going to help him when we get in the ring.
Tor Ekman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2015, 10:45 AM   #201
cj's dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
Andre the Giant

he went undefeated but he just intimidated his challengers with his size
Funny story-as told to me by my friend who worked security at the hotel- about Andre. He was wrestling in Baltimore and due to go to Philly the next day. He spent the night at the Holiday Inn right by the Baltimore Civic Center. He sat at the bar and drank 30 + beers right up to closing time. He then bought a case to take to his room where he drank even more. He passed out and hit the floor so hard that he knocked out part of the plaster ceiling in the room below. 6 people were unable to get him on his feet.. My friend swears that they borrowed a hydraulic lift from the fire station across the street from the hotel to pick him up and get him back in bed.

The next morning when the room was cleaned, it was found that he had consumed another 14 beers.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:06 PM   #202
Robert Fischer
clean money

^ greatest drinker of all time

Chip Kelly is not an athlete, but he's certainly well on his way to proving to have been extremely overrated.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:15 PM   #203
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:

The 9ers were a really good team during the kae run. Now they stink, he's exposed.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2015, 07:05 PM   #204
Marshall Bennett

Quote:

Texans would take any of the above mentioned over what they have now. Strange that it's the NFL, nothing to do with injury or such, and a team begins the season without a quarterback. I don't consider the two they're using now as quality subjects in this league either. Utterly disgraceful.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2015, 07:22 PM   #205
horses4courses

NFL QBs

I think that, collectively, NFL quarterbacks are the most overpaid, over hyped,
athletes in the modern era. There are exceptions, but some couldn't break
15 seconds for a hundred yard dash.
Others, I'm thinking, would be hard pressed to run as far as a mile, and manage to finish in under 6 minutes.

There are those that have plenty of fitness and speed.
Some earn millions per year while playing at less than full fitness.
True, injuries can take their toll. They get hit hard week after week.

QBs thread the needle tossing a ball at speed. That is an art form, in itself.
Making these athletes out to be Adonis-like heroes, though, is a fallacy.
For pure physical fitness, many other sports demand much more from their participants. They not all professionals, either.
chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2015, 01:02 AM   #206
cj's dad

Both football and basketball are the easiest of the 3 major sports to play IMO. They rely on size at almost every position. Baseball relies on skill that one has to have in the manner of speed, fielding ability, arm strength, and the ability to hit pitches coming at you at 90+ mph at different angles from both left and right handed pitchers. Football has IMO become a 'thug sport" and for me has become increasingly difficult to watch. Basketball is so repetitious as to be boring. Absolutely no creativity, Ho Hum action.

But, then again this is just my opinion !
Old 10-06-2015, 09:33 AM   #207
ebcorde
Veteran

they are too many to list

but if you start a Coach segment. Put me in for Chip Kelly
ebcorde is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-07-2015, 11:02 AM   #208
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisontheBay
Both football and basketball are the easiest of the 3 major sports to play IMO. They rely on size at almost every position. Baseball relies on skill that one has to have in the manner of speed, fielding ability, arm strength, and the ability to hit pitches coming at you at 90+ mph at different angles from both left and right handed pitchers. Football has IMO become a 'thug sport" and for me has become increasingly difficult to watch. Basketball is so repetitious as to be boring. Absolutely no creativity, Ho Hum action.

Greg Hardy comes back this week.
Similar to Ray Rice, he got in trouble for domestic violence. Hardy apparently threw a woman onto a futon full of assault rifles, threatened to kill her, dragged her around by the hair, choked her out, and slammed her into the walls.
Wasn't caught on tape like Rice, and unlike Rice, Hardy is a more valuable player, so the Cowboys quickly signed him to a 1yr/11M contract.

also unlike Rice he hasn't pretended to be sorry:

Greg Hardy on if he is reflective of his last two years: “What’s that? I’m not reflecting on sacks, man. I haven’t had one in two years.”

Greg Hardy on playing the Patriots 1st game off suspension: "I love seeing Tom Brady. You seen his wife? I hope she comes to the game. I hope her sister comes to the game..."

Greg Hardy on the excitement of returning to the NFL:
"I hope I come out guns blazing. I'm full of excitement and full of juice. I'm ready to go."

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 10-07-2015 at 11:05 AM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-07-2015, 11:13 AM   #209
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisontheBay

Football was really a thug sport when I was a kid, that's what me and my friends loved about it. Today the athletes are so big, so strong and so fast that someone would probably die if they played like cliff harris, jack lambert or conrad dobler. Those guys may have been thugs but they sure made the game fun to watch.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-07-2015, 02:00 PM   #210
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac
Football was really a thug sport when I was a kid, that's what me and my friends loved about it. Today the athletes are so big, so strong and so fast that someone would probably die if they played like cliff harris, jack lambert or conrad dobler. Those guys may have been thugs but they sure made the game fun to watch.
WHaaaaaaa? ronsmac....you're the board boxing authority, no comment on the "fake prince" of Islam being revealed to be a completely overrated clown, essentially bitch-slapped into oblivion on world-wide television? Speaking for myself, Tor ,Marco Barrera, most of the citizens of the great nation of Mexico, (and probably some STILL humiliated and embarrassed followers of Islam).....we are disappointed.
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply