Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 09-23-2015, 02:45 PM   #16
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett
To me, the difference between college football and the NFL is like daylight and dark. It's much harder wagering on the NFL because so much depends on whether the players feel like playing hard or not. They tend to quit playing when the least amount of fatigue sets in. They've got their big contracts, most are already rich, and as long as they live another day they'll be okay. I know this might not be the rule, but it doesn't take much of it to make a team lose a game that they're suppose to win.
I'll take college games over the NFL any day of the week. The atmosphere and excitement is many times greater.
When you get later in the season, you will see a LOT of college teams in the giveup mode. A guy isn't getting paid, and doesn't have a future in the pros; he starts to see the handwriting on the wall. We see many, many more blowouts at the college level. In the NFL, a guy may be on a bad team, but if he plays hard, he may get another contract. He certainly has more incentive to not give up.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2015, 04:12 PM   #17
Marshall Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
When you get later in the season, you will see a LOT of college teams in the giveup mode. A guy isn't getting paid, and doesn't have a future in the pros; he starts to see the handwriting on the wall. We see many, many more blowouts at the college level. In the NFL, a guy may be on a bad team, but if he plays hard, he may get another contract. He certainly has more incentive to not give up.
Well, I disagree. Most college coaches would immediately bench such a player. The reason you have blowouts is scheduling, mostly with non-conference opponents. Has nothing to do with the will to play. NFL teams consist of the best players drafted from college. They're more evenly matched across the board.
As I said earlier, of course it isn't the general rule that the pros don't try their best. I simply see much less of it there than at the college level.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2015, 05:05 PM   #18
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett
Well, I disagree. Most college coaches would immediately bench such a player. The reason you have blowouts is scheduling, mostly with non-conference opponents. Has nothing to do with the will to play. NFL teams consist of the best players drafted from college. They're more evenly matched across the board.
As I said earlier, of course it isn't the general rule that the pros don't try their best. I simply see much less of it there than at the college level.
I couldn't disagree more with your logic. Completely agree with Valuist's take on this. Always follow the money trail. In college, all kids are playing for week to week is personal pride and school pom poms. In the pro's, you add money. Remember that colleges cannot remove a kids scholarship for performance related reasons, so there is zero financial incentive for a college kid to perform as the season nears its end. Benching does not remove the scholarship one iota.

Last edited by tucker6; 09-23-2015 at 05:07 PM.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2015, 06:11 PM   #19
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6
I couldn't disagree more with your logic. Completely agree with Valuist's take on this. Always follow the money trail. In college, all kids are playing for week to week is personal pride and school pom poms. In the pro's, you add money. Remember that colleges cannot remove a kids scholarship for performance related reasons, so there is zero financial incentive for a college kid to perform as the season nears its end. Benching does not remove the scholarship one iota.
I agree, NFL careers are short. These guys are playing game to game, nothing it guaranteed...not to mention half assing it on the football field is a sure way to get hurt, especially in the NFL.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2015, 08:53 PM   #20
Dark Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisontheBay
I think it has become the most boring and predictable major sport in the USA.
Opium for the masses. Mostly an excuse to pump in as many commercial as possible these days. Far more exciting to watch the live stats for simultaneous games, if you have money riding on the games that is.
Dark Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Reply