Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 52 votes, 4.87 average.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #301
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but do you get the raw pace figure too? Or, do you just get the overall 'power rating'? Thanks.
Right now, you just get the overall number. When pace figures are introduced, you will get them all as part of the deluxe PPs.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #302
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXB
Final time.
Thanks, and yes, he is correct.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:02 PM   #303
Cratos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcAtTimeformUS
Pace Figs are part of deluxe PP pricing.
Typically, if we distill something (we distill CJ's Pace Figs to make our pace projector), it's a part of our basic product.
If we give you the tools to look at the raw data, it's going to be part of the deluxe product.
And sorry, no broad announcement on more details of deluxe PPs until middle of next month.
Give us a few weeks to get the current ones' features finished
We're dangerously close to introducing pedigree ratings (for each horse, specific to surface and dstance) based on Craig's figures.
Are you including the track’s turn impact and wind direction by surface and track configuration in your pace calculations?

Incidentally, wind begins to have an effect of about 1/5 second at 19 mph on tail and head velocities. On side velocity it becomes a little more complicated because you would be calculating angular velocity, but it can be done.

Also I applaud you for attempting to discern pedigree ratings for each horse, specific to surface and distance; and I for one would love to see your conclusions based on a reasonable confidence interval.

"Science is correct; even if you don't believe it" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Cratos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #304
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cratos
Are you including the track’s turn impact and wind direction by surface and track configuration in your pace calculations?

Incidentally, wind begins to have an effect of about 1/5 second at 19 mph on tail and head velocities. On side velocity it becomes a little more complicated because you would be calculating angular velocity, but it can be done.

Also I applaud you for attempting to discern pedigree ratings for each horse, specific to surface and distance; and I for one would love to see your conclusions based on a reasonable confidence interval.
We aren't going to get into everything that goes into the pace numbers.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #305
Cratos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I am not asking you to reveal your methodology, but I am asking for a yes or no answer to a simple question because I would believe bettors who are using your figures would like to know the inclusions within the figures.

Having spent some time using and understanding predictive statistics as many others have, one thing that is consistent in predictions is that the more "noise" in the data, the weaker or less predictable the statistical outcome.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #306
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cratos
I am not asking you to reveal your methodology, but I am asking for a yes or no answer to a simple question because I would believe bettors who are using your figures would like to know the inclusions within the figures.

Having spent some time using and understanding predictive statistics as many others have, one thing that is consistent in predictions is that the more "noise" in the data, the weaker or less predictable the statistical outcome.
Same answer, sorry.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:59 PM   #307
wiffleball whizz
Dead money

It's 4:57pm going to the mall going shopping taking my father out to dinner then I'm going to otb.....100 percent purchasing the 3.99 all day package today and becoming a VIP timeformus member!!!!!!

(undercover brag) its pretty scary to think how if I actually use this new timeformus which seems pretty good and my knowledge of racing how dangerous of a player I can become........

Wondering if I win the deltoga challenge can I get a timeformus shirt to take the winners circle pic with?!?!?!?!
wiffleball whizz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #308
ten2oneormore

IMO CJs pace figures combined with his final speed figures are the best thing out there at telling the story of how the horse actually ran in his/her previous races.Without the pace figures it is hard to fully assess the final speed figure which is why I think some are a little impatient.

The two combined are what makes this product a slam dunk for anyone that actually takes the time to learn how to use them.

The other features are just gravy and I don't mean to minimize the hard work of the rest of the team because I'm sure they(other features) are a whole new world to beginners.However I would guess the serious player knows the trainer angles and sire stats for the circuits he/she plays.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #309
Grits

Mr.Attenberg, I apologize for my terse comment. I'm sorry, I was wrong. You did answer my question. I look forward to your completed current pps and the deluxe ones. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcAtTimeformUS
Pace Figs are part of deluxe PP pricing.
Typically, if we distill something (we distill CJ's Pace Figs to make our pace projector), it's a part of our basic product.
If we give you the tools to look at the raw data, it's going to be part of the deluxe product.
And sorry, no broad announcement on more details of deluxe PPs until middle of next month.
Give us a few weeks to get the current ones' features finished
We're dangerously close to introducing pedigree ratings (for each horse, specific to surface and dstance) based on Craig's figures.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #310
Cratos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Same answer, sorry.
Thanks

Old 07-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #311
DeltaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I completely understand and justify this approach.

Personally, I could not care less about how you come up with a figure as long a:

- I find some value to it

- I am sure that the methodology will remain the same

It is absolutely fine and ethical to keep your intellectual property a secret as far as you are providing the data in a consistent manner.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:19 PM   #312
chrisl

A cell phone app to get this would be great

Attached Images
File Type: png Timeform.PNG (41.5 KB, 214 views)
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #313
JimG

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisl
A cell phone app to get this would be great
It's pretty and all but replacing some of those last 4 fields with cj's info in condensed form and make it sortable by column would make it sing. Something along the lines of CSP, Late Speed, days since last race, last 2-3 cj figs. Next to the horse name, throw in the positional early speed points.

It is pretty though and projected pace is a nice feature. I wish Timeform and CJ good fortune in this joint venture.

Jim
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #314
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaLover
I completely understand and justify this approach.

Personally, I could not care less about how you come up with a figure as long a:

- I find some value to it

- I am sure that the methodology will remain the same

It is absolutely fine and ethical to keep your intellectual property a secret as far as you are providing the data in a consistent manner.
It isn't even that so much as I don't want to spend countless hours debating my approach with those that don't agree with it. Like you say, the results will speak for themselves. The only formula that may occasionally change (slightly) is the overall number, which we still call a speed figure for simplicity even though it has what I have called some "pace infusion". After all these years, I'm still learning as I gather more and more data and how to best combine pace and speed figures under various conditions (fast/slow pace, surface, distance). But even those are slight adjustments.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:29 PM   #315
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Mentioned this one on Twitter, might be a tough daily double to top any time soon.

$2 Daily Double 7-3 343.20

Attached Images
File Type: png Suf723.png (50.3 KB, 200 views)

Last edited by cj; 07-23-2013 at 08:12 PM.

Tags
quick, timeform adjustment