Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-13-2018, 06:11 PM   #1
ldiatone

Golden Gate Close

from twitter: Ritvo: Golden Gate Could Close Over Simulcast Issue
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac..._medium=social

and now in Lancaster, CA.
ldiatone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2018, 06:47 PM   #2
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldiatone View Post
from twitter: Ritvo: Golden Gate Could Close Over Simulcast Issue
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac..._medium=social
This sounds like a bluff. Ritvo wants to control the simulcasting revenue so he is threatening the nuclear option.

Having said that, it would be very good long term for California racing if GGF closed and was not replaced. That would force those horsemen to run down here and would fill up our fields. California has enough thoroughbreds for one circuit, not two.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2018, 07:03 PM   #3
Andy Asaro

Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2018, 07:59 PM   #4
JustRalph
Just another Facist

The model has needed change for a long time
Old 06-13-2018, 08:00 PM   #5
Andy Asaro

Story updated.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:12 PM   #6
Augenj
Top Horse Analytics

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
This sounds like a bluff. Ritvo wants to control the simulcasting revenue so he is threatening the nuclear option.

Having said that, it would be very good long term for California racing if GGF closed and was not replaced. That would force those horsemen to run down here and would fill up our fields. California has enough thoroughbreds for one circuit, not two.
Couldn't agree more.
Augenj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2018, 08:19 PM   #7
AlsoEligible

This situation has been brewing for a long time and I'm glad it's finally coming to a head, for better or for worse.

I do call BS on Baedeker's backtracking about having CARF fill the Golden Gate dates:

Quote:
Ritvo also said the CHRB has made attempts to have the fair circuit fill Golden Gate's dates from Aug. 22-Oct. 2.

"CHRB has been in contact with CARF to run our dates. ... We have the CHRB unprofessionally going around and telling people we won't be getting our license if we don't operate the network," Ritvo said. "Even though we're legally within our right not to operate the network and fund it."

CHRB executive director Rick Baedeker called the accusations "not accurate." He also said his contact with Santa Rosa and CARF, regarding potentially filling Golden Gate's Aug. 22-Oct. 2 dates, was only to prepare for the possibility Golden Gate would not have its meet application approved by the CHRB at the board's next meeting June 21.
You're the director of the board, what "possibility" do you need to prepare for? You know damn well whether a meet application is getting approved or not, and if not, for what reason. Weak.

That aside, I think I mostly side with Ritvo on this. The state has way too many acronyms vying for power, too many organizations that don't work, too much bureaucracy. NCOTWINC is one, and TSG should not be forced to subsidize a broken model.

On the other hand, I also don't want to see GGF drive the fairs into extinction, which is clearly TSG's endgame here. And I agree with diane that just having GGF close and pushing those horses/trainers to SoCal might be a better outcome for the state.

Like I said, I'm just glad that everyone is done talking about it, and that people are finally going to get in a room and duke it out.
AlsoEligible is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2018, 08:52 PM   #8
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
Sounds about right.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:40 PM   #9
Andy Asaro

Old 06-14-2018, 12:50 AM   #10
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

I can't even imagine how much the land under GGF is valued...right on the bay---views of both bridges.

Wow! It's worth far more than a race-track land. Next time your stuck in traffic right there, on the approach to the bridge...look over and take a guess what that land is worth.
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2018, 07:34 AM   #11
GaryG
Unreconstructed

The Fairs offer some of the best racing in CA. Year round racing at GGF is not the answer. Many years ago CA was one circuit with 3 tracks in NoCal. That ended with Oak Tree in 1969. I would like to see GGF take either the spring or fall SA dates. There is no way to run year round in both the north and south. I agree with Greg, that is a beautiful location and it is surely valuable.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:47 AM   #12
Andy Asaro

Fair Racing is outdated and they lose money. GG has an outstanding turf course so it doesn't make sense to lose summer months to fairs. Especially since turf racing is more popular than ever and is safer.

We're dealing with California. The State where people and bureaucrats don't care if they lose money as long as it's not theirs.

Will be interesting to follow.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:24 AM   #13
letswastemoney

I'd hate to see Golden Gate go. It has the most beautiful parking lot to walk through, right on the Bay.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2018, 12:43 PM   #14
Andy Asaro

This mornings email blast.

Why is it that people are OK with doing things in racing that lose money? Oh I know. It's not their money.

CARF has to stop skimming money from the kitty. No more money to subsidize their politics.

Fairs are outdated and charge higher takeout.

The surfaces aren't as safe not to mention that people want more turf racing. Golden Gate should never be shut down while the turf course is usable.

And the last person on earth you want influencing anything is Baedecker.

And BTW if you wanted to limit the power of the Stronach Group you’re about 10 years too late.

The only Fair should be at Pomona. It should have a one mile turf course, a dirt course inside, a state of the art Vet Clinic, and a space where the Industry can display how it cares for retired racehorses. That’s what belongs at the L.A. County Fair at Pomona.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:50 PM   #15
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
This mornings email blast.

Why is it that people are OK with doing things in racing that lose money? Oh I know. It's not their money.

CARF has to stop skimming money from the kitty. No more money to subsidize their politics.

Fairs are outdated and charge higher takeout.

The surfaces aren't as safe not to mention that people want more turf racing. Golden Gate should never be shut down while the turf course is usable.

And the last person on earth you want influencing anything is Baedecker.

And BTW if you wanted to limit the power of the Stronach Group you’re about 10 years too late.

The only Fair should be at Pomona. It should have a one mile turf course, a dirt course inside, a state of the art Vet Clinic, and a space where the Industry can display how it cares for retired racehorses. That’s what belongs at the L.A. County Fair at Pomona.
What belongs at the LA County Fair is cotton candy, a ferris wheel, a fun house, animal exhibitions, and impossible to win giant teddy bears.

Pomona got rid of racing because it is a money loser. And as much as I make fun of Los Al, at least it is 10 degrees colder there than in Pomona.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: