Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 06-23-2017, 03:27 PM   #1
CincyHorseplayer

Printer Suggestions?

I still like to have printed PP's for full day play and now that the DRF is nearly obsolete in this city I am planning on printing phone books! So I need to upgrade my printer so I am not constantly running to the store to buy inkjets. Just wanted everybody's suggestions on high output printers, cost, pages per inkjet and whatever else you can add.

Thanks gang.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2017, 04:19 PM   #2
JustRalph
Just another Facist

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2340674,00.asp

Give it a look
Old 06-23-2017, 07:25 PM   #3
CincyHorseplayer

Thanks Ralph.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:10 PM   #4
Mulerider

I've used black-and-white HP LaserJets for years with no issues, running thousands of copies through them. Last November Best Buy had a Black Friday sale on Samsung lasers for $49, and I bought one. It works fine, too. I think you'll find that your biggest problem is the cost of the factory replacement cartridges, which can run $75 for my HP. But you can find them for less than a third of that price if you'll look online for refilled cartridges. Amazon has a huge selection.

Mule
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2017, 08:14 PM   #5
Cutter14

I bought a laser printer HL-3140cw (Brothers) about 6 months ago...love it..not too pricey
Cutter14 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2017, 08:41 PM   #6
bruin95

For high volume printing, I would personally stay away from ink jet printers. Laser is the way to go.
bruin95 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2017, 08:52 PM   #7
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin95 View Post
For high volume printing, I would personally stay away from ink jet printers. Laser is the way to go.
Yeah I had an ancient HP printer and an XL black cartride would print almost 900 pages. I have a Canon now and it will start running low at 250 pages at $25 a cartridge. Knew there were better options out there.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:58 PM   #8
Dave Schwartz

Because of the deals available from HP on "Instant Ink," our ink jet is far less expensive than our laser printer. For $10 per month you get 300 pages and they have cheaper deals. There is even a monthly carryover feature.

The most interesting thing is that they do not differentiate between black vs color! Now, maybe if you were printing 300 photo-quality pages per month they would reign you in, but I've not seen any references to practical maximums.

Were it not for the binding we'd print our par times on the ink jet instead of having them printed. (Only about 3% of our total sales are print copy now.)

BTW, the way it works is that the printer is constantly "phoning home," and when a cartridge is getting low (based upon our usage) the send one in the mail. (We actually got them to agree to make sure we always had an entire set ahead.)

So, at 3.3 cents per page, it is cheaper than anything out there. As I understand, current costs are over 6 cents for laser in black and slightly higher in inkjets.

Note that not all HP printers are "Instant Ink" compatible.

Dave
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2017, 11:31 PM   #9
CincyHorseplayer

Still researching suggestions but I think I landed on a very good looking deal.

http://www.brother-usa.com/printer/m...ll8250cdn/spec

$250 for the printer. A $55 black ink toner yields 4,000 pages. A $96 color yields 3,500. Double sided page printing.

What do you think?

Last edited by CincyHorseplayer; 06-23-2017 at 11:35 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:33 PM   #10
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
Because of the deals available from HP on "Instant Ink," our ink jet is far less expensive than our laser printer. For $10 per month you get 300 pages and they have cheaper deals. There is even a monthly carryover feature.

The most interesting thing is that they do not differentiate between black vs color! Now, maybe if you were printing 300 photo-quality pages per month they would reign you in, but I've not seen any references to practical maximums.

Were it not for the binding we'd print our par times on the ink jet instead of having them printed. (Only about 3% of our total sales are print copy now.)

BTW, the way it works is that the printer is constantly "phoning home," and when a cartridge is getting low (based upon our usage) the send one in the mail. (We actually got them to agree to make sure we always had an entire set ahead.)

So, at 3.3 cents per page, it is cheaper than anything out there. As I understand, current costs are over 6 cents for laser in black and slightly higher in inkjets.

Note that not all HP printers are "Instant Ink" compatible.

Dave
Toner for my Brother printer costs about 1 penny per page. I use third party toner. I pay $23.95 per cartridge and get a bit over 2400 pages using 'toner save mode' which is barely distinguishable from regular mode. Regular mode gets me 1450 pages per cartridge.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2017, 11:44 PM   #11
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by therussmeister View Post
Toner for my Brother printer costs about 1 penny per page. I use third party toner. I pay $23.95 per cartridge and get a bit over 2400 pages using 'toner save mode' which is barely distinguishable from regular mode. Regular mode gets me 1450 pages per cartridge.
What model do you have Russmeister?
Old 06-24-2017, 12:13 AM   #12
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by therussmeister View Post
WOW!
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2017, 02:15 AM   #13
bruin95

Also something to think about with inkjet vs. laser, laser printers are much faster than inkjet. Also, inkjets have a tendency to clog.
bruin95 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2017, 06:43 AM   #14
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer View Post
What model do you have Russmeister?
HL-L2300D

It was the cheapest Brother printer I could find which is always my strategy. It was on sale for $55.

By the way, there is cheaper toner than what I buy, but those get too many bad reviews so I have never tried any.

~Alan Watts
Old 06-24-2017, 06:49 AM   #15
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

One other thing. There is one more expense to consider with laser printers, you eventually have to replace the drum, which is relatively expensive, but I have found I can get well over 10,000 more pages out of a drum than the manufacturer says.

~Alan Watts

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: