Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 11-14-2018, 11:32 AM   #61
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
They did trade Saric.
OUCH
Old 11-14-2018, 11:43 AM   #62
Robert Fischer
clean money

Jimmy Butler has a better brand, and much much better Defense.

They can also claim a "Big-3".

I guess it actually helps the 76ers business model.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:53 PM   #63
lansdale

Quote:
Russell Westbrook was never a good shooter, even in college, and still isn't. Fultz was better. Something is wrong mentally with him it seems.

Also, Russ was on a lottery team for one year. His second year, same as Fultz is in this year, was a team that gave the eventual champion Lakers all they wanted in the first round. A buzzer beating tip in by Pau Gasol saved them from a G7. Obviously Fultz didn't play a lot in his first year but there is something to be said for being on the roster and being coached by pros for a full season.

This much I can say from watching Fultz so far. He is no Westbrook and he never will be. He just doesn't have that kind of explosiveness. The Sixers blew it by not drafting Tatum. Maybe they'll be able to overcome that mistake and win a title or two but they'd be a potential dynasty if they had made the right choice.
I think everybody agrees that something is wrong w/Fultz vs. his level of play in college and nobody has the answer to his problem at the moment. The point I was making with the RW comparison was fairly mundane -- that the rookie year of most players, even many of the greatest, are usually unimpressive and unrepresentative of their later careers -- I could just as easily have used Harden, Curry, or dozens of other players as examples. All of these players improved by huge leaps after an inauspicious beginning. As you point out, by the end of his second year, RW and Durant were challenging the Lakers in the playoffs, and two years later they were in the championship. But, unlike Fultz, RW initially had the benefit of full-time play on what was then a bad team, which allowed him to develop in a relatively unpressured environment.

Also, the idea that players have to somehow live up to their draft-pick level and that teams know what they're doing in the draft is idiotic. Is Sam Bowie supposed to apologize for the rest of his life for being picked ahead of Michael Jordan? It should be obvious by now, that truly great players aside, no one, not even the teams who are spending money on them, can predict how college players are going to pan out in the NBA. Donovan Mitchell was drafted in the #13 spot last year -- you think the GMs that passed on him are simply morons -- no, that's just the reality of the situation. And it's obvious now that the pressure of being the #1 pick probably didn't help someone with Fultz' issues.

Going forward, the Sixers are committed to giving Fultz minutes for what seems like a couple more months. Regardless of how he does, they're still going to win ca. 55 games and go deep into the playoffs. With three great players already, though, they don't need Fultz to be a star -- they can win it with role players in the 2 and 4 slots and an improved bench, at this point. If, in a few months, he could give them 17 pts. and 4 assists, I think they're set. But, again, a long way to go still.
lansdale is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2018, 12:22 PM   #64
Robert Fischer
clean money

This guy Brown, coaching the Sixers... Can he coach??

spent 30 seconds on him, and he's a former Spurs assistant that's a good start...

With this more athletic lineup, I'd like to see what they do on defense and in transition.

I'm interested enough to try to catch them on TV soon
Old 11-25-2018, 03:10 PM   #65
Robert Fischer
clean money

they've green-lighted moves that used to be considered 'traveling'.

Watching hoops in detail for the first time since the 90's,

there's obviously the move to efficient play that features the 3-point shot,

but I also see that they've green-lighted moves that used to be considered 'traveling'.

There was a rule change in 2009, but players are allowed to carry the ball(as they were in the 90's, then gather the ball near the end of a step or jump-stop, land that step and have two more steps). Giannis, LeBron, Harden stand out at first glance. I'm sure it's widespread.
Old 11-25-2018, 04:51 PM   #66
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
Watching hoops in detail for the first time since the 90's,

there's obviously the move to efficient play that features the 3-point shot,

but I also see that they've green-lighted moves that used to be considered 'traveling'.

There was a rule change in 2009, but players are allowed to carry the ball(as they were in the 90's, then gather the ball near the end of a step or jump-stop, land that step and have two more steps). Giannis, LeBron, Harden stand out at first glance. I'm sure it's widespread.
They also get away with a lot since they have legalized "the gather", basically allowing guys to shuffle in any direction as part of catching the ball, and afterwards. That used to always be traveling.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2018, 07:03 PM   #67
Robert Fischer
clean money

the one bounce rule

Quote:
They also get away with a lot since they have legalized "the gather", basically allowing guys to shuffle in any direction as part of catching the ball, and afterwards. That used to always be traveling.
Yea, 'the gather' is the main thing.

I was surprised to see a FIBA video that outlined new international interpretation of allowing generous 'gathers' on the run and on spin-moves.

It reminds me a bit of a game we played in gym with volleyball type balls and there were no traveling rules per se, just a 'one bounce' rule.

Hakeem used to stretch the rules (although by much less) by coming to a legal jump-stop just as he received the ball in the post. Gave him the ability to start a fake before he received/gathered and then have his step and a half or whatever. Can imagine him doing some of these in today's rules. Hard to top an athlete like a Giannis or a LeBron.

Harden has it down where he basically gathers with one hand while he doesn't emphasize a two hand gather until a beat later...

Top defensive teams today will have to answer.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 11-25-2018 at 07:05 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-03-2019, 05:36 PM   #68
lansdale

Kawh returns to SA

Bumping this thread for return of Kawhi vs. Spurs for first time tonight -- should be pretty good game. Toronto has a good shot at Finals and Spurs rounding into form after a shaky start -- young players shaping up. Spurs -1.

Also almost mid-season. Many NBA teams in transition, much seeming parity. Possible vulnerability of GSW creating more intereest in this season than expected, at least for this fan.

MVP race: fairly wide-opne, but Harden, Durant, Giannis, Kawhi seem most likely at this point. AD would be there, except for a non-contending team.

Last edited by lansdale; 01-03-2019 at 05:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-04-2019, 01:21 AM   #69
lansdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansdale View Post
Bumping this thread for return of Kawhi vs. Spurs for first time tonight -- should be pretty good game. Toronto has a good shot at Finals and Spurs rounding into form after a shaky start -- young players shaping up. Spurs -1.

Also almost mid-season. Many NBA teams in transition, much seeming parity. Possible vulnerability of GSW creating more intereest in this season than expected, at least for this fan.

MVP race: fairly wide-opne, but Harden, Durant, Giannis, Kawhi seem most likely at this point. AD would be there, except for a non-contending team.
Apologies for touting this blowout -- game to watch was obviously Rockets/GSW. Playoffs gonna be good.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:59 PM   #70
lansdale

NBA post-season

Still difficult to see anyone beating GSW, but wondering how good Giannis might really be--seems like an absolute force of nature. If there's any justice he should be named MVP. I remember R. Fischer first touting him a few years back.

Looks like Luka Doncic will take Rookie award -- still think Ayton is the more valuable player. We'll see.

Interesting wagerng option for post-season -- N. Silver is making both Raptors and Bucks ca. 5-1 to win title, but they're 10-1 on most books.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:02 PM   #71
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansdale View Post
Still difficult to see anyone beating GSW, but wondering how good Giannis might really be--seems like an absolute force of nature. If there's any justice he should be named MVP. I remember R. Fischer first touting him a few years back.

Looks like Luka Doncic will take Rookie award -- still think Ayton is the more valuable player. We'll see.

Interesting wagerng option for post-season -- N. Silver is making both Raptors and Bucks ca. 5-1 to win title, but they're 10-1 on most books.
Giannis is a stone cold lock for MVP. Not sure Harden doesn't deserve it again but since I hate how he plays I'm ok with it.

Luka will probably win, but Tre Young probably would if Luka hadn't been annointed back in November. Young has really had the better season and actually plays most of the games. I wasn't impressed much with Ayton but I haven't watched him lately. Thunder finished with PHO early on and they obviously don't get much air time since they stink.

Warriors are a lock too.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:16 PM   #72
lansdale

Quote:
Giannis is a stone cold lock for MVP. Not sure Harden doesn't deserve it again but since I hate how he plays I'm ok with it.

Luka will probably win, but Tre Young probably would if Luka hadn't been annointed back in November. Young has really had the better season and actually plays most of the games. I wasn't impressed much with Ayton but I haven't watched him lately. Thunder finished with PHO early on and they obviously don't get much air time since they stink.

Warriors are a lock too.
Generally agree and wish this all didn't look so predictable again. Guessing that factor combined with the absence of LBJ, who was in the Finals for an amazing eight years in a row, will tank those ratings.

Re Giannis though, he has both a small PER edge and very large WS 48 edge over Harden, the Bucks beat the Rockers decisively in both their games, and they'll end the season with a better record. I don't think Harden's scoring can overcome all that. And he's only 24 -- just entering his prime years.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:40 PM   #73
Valuist

For whatever reason, my interest heading into this year's NBA playoffs is the lowest its been in years. Am I the only one?
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2019, 12:09 PM   #74
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Yahoo Sports | Chris Haynes | April 16, 2019
Sources: Warriors center DeMarcus Cousins expected to miss remainder of postseason:
https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-war...134734955.html

Quote:
OAKLAND, Calif. — Golden State Warriors center DeMarcus Cousins is expected to miss the remainder of the postseason with a significant left quadriceps injury, but there’s faint optimism that he could possibly return for the NBA Finals, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Cousins, 28, will undergo an MRI on Tuesday morning, which should reveal if the Finals are a realistic target for the four-time All-Star, sources said.

But the Warriors, sources said, are mentally preparing for the worst: a torn quad diagnosis and a postseason run devoid of Cousins.
--and:
Quote:
But the Warriors also have other issues.

The defending champs blew a 31-point, third-quarter lead and relinquished — for the moment — home-court advantage after losing 135-131. Now the series is even heading to Los Angeles for Game 3 on Thursday.

-jp

Old 04-16-2019, 04:06 PM   #75
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
For whatever reason, my interest heading into this year's NBA playoffs is the lowest its been in years. Am I the only one?
Nah, still comes from Durant basically ruining the NBA by taking paycuts to join an already championship caliber team. Even without Cousins it probably won't matter. They signed Bogut towards the end of the year and he is still better than what they had last year in the middle.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: