Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Advance Deposit Wagering (ADW)

Old 12-18-2017, 02:16 PM   #1
Equifan

Simulcast feeds

I don't know who/which dept at the individual tracks has the say about the live-stream feed that is sent to the ADW's. This would be directed to those individuals - whoever.

Most (all?) clutter the screen, hiding the horses. Either outright or with graphic overlays. Anyone (at home) trying to wager already has all this info available through the wagering interface. I, for one, want to see the field -- post parade, warmups, etc. Esp.their feet and body language in post parade.

Anyone else like-minded?
Equifan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2017, 05:56 PM   #2
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
I for one am VERY MUCH like minded here!

I would LOVE to have a clickable option that lets me see track video WITHOUT the track's graphics that take up (depending on who designed it) 60% or more of the track video feed's available screen real estate.

Why?

Me - doing my best attempt to imitate a parent explaining something to an 8 year old so that he/she can understand it:

Because 100% of the time that I am watching track video online I am getting said track video through an ADW.

The track's graphics take up (depending on who designed it) 60% or more of the track video feed's available screen real estate.

ALL of the info presented by the track's graphics that take up 60% or more of the track video feed's available screen real estate is CONSTANTLY available at a glance on the ADW wagering interface/website WHEN I decide that's what I want to see.

The rest of the time -- when I don't want to see the info presented by the track's graphics that take up 60% or more of the track video feed's available screen real estate -- the ONLY thing the track's graphics do is:

Make it really difficult to watch horses during post parades and pre-race warmups.

Which has the unintended effect of causing me to bet less than I otherwise would if a 100% unobstructed view of the horses were available to me.

How hard would it be to offer ADW players a clickable option (via radio button or checkbox) the ability to see live streaming video either with or without the track's graphics?

Speaking for myself, in the event this were offered, this is definitely something I'd be willing to pay extra for. (Hard for me to imagine I'm the only one.)

-jp

Old 12-18-2017, 06:47 PM   #3
Equifan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
I for one am VERY MUCH like minded here!

I would LOVE to have a clickable option that lets me see track video WITHOUT the track's graphics that take up (depending on who designed it) 60% or more of the track video feed's available screen real estate.

Why?

Me - doing my best attempt to imitate a parent explaining something to an 8 year old so that he/she can understand it:

Because 100% of the time that I am watching track video online I am getting said track video through an ADW.

The track's graphics take up (depending on who designed it) 60% or more of the track video feed's available screen real estate.

ALL of the info presented by the track's graphics that take up 60% or more of the track video feed's available screen real estate is CONSTANTLY available at a glance on the ADW wagering interface/website WHEN I decide that's what I want to see.

The rest of the time -- when I don't want to see the info presented by the track's graphics that take up 60% or more of the track video feed's available screen real estate -- the ONLY thing the track's graphics do is:

Make it really difficult to watch horses during post parades and pre-race warmups.

Which has the unintended effect of causing me to bet less than I otherwise would if a 100% unobstructed view of the horses were available to me.
How hard would it be to offer ADW players a clickable option (via radio button or checkbox) the ability to see live streaming video either with or without the track's graphics?

Speaking for myself, in the event this were offered, this is definitely something I'd be willing to pay extra for. (Hard for me to imagine I'm the only one.)

-jp

JP,

Exactly my sentiments (except paying extra $$). It shouldn't be rocket science for track mgmt to understand the possible affect on handle. And....it also shouldn't be rocket science to send the raw camera feeds to the ADW vendor.
As you pointed out -- they use waaay too much screen real estate with the graphics for info that's redundant.....

Any track management types ever visit the various forums?

Stan
Old 12-18-2017, 06:54 PM   #4
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Simulcast operators and feeds are really missing the opportunity that lay already in the live racing, which is truly an exciting sport. But the way tracks covers the sport is incredibly lame and down right boring. Other tracks have cameras that follow the horses closely both prior to the race and during the running. At best, most feeds provide are far away shots during the running down the backside and into the stretch...they don't attempt to capture the drama at all. For major races, the TV network feeds are much better than the track feeds piped to the simulcast centers.

Look at how the motion picture industry caters to the movie goer, now with luxury reclining seats, action in Dolby and the latest technology screens, and the customer is only paying $12 bucks to watch a 90 minute movie.

Racegoers are there all day spending hundreds of $ dollars that may not even buy them a seat much less a top quality visual experience of the running of the race....truly pathetic in my opinion.

The magic and attraction of racing lay primarily in watching the action whether on the track or off site. In the simulcast age, the future would be more like a top theater experience if I had my druthers... But the industry seems unwilling to have a vision of how to substantially improve the product they are providing...

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 12-18-2017 at 07:00 PM.
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2017, 09:16 PM   #5
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
I agree. Racing really hasn't kept pace with technology.

One of my pet peeves is the way they use the (main) pan shot camera to show the horses during pre race warmups.

In addition to the track graphics taking up 60% or more of the available screen real estate - all too often the guy operating the pan shot camera zooms in on a horse that is 70% or more obstructed by an outrider's horse.

I've often wondered how hard it would be to mount a Go Pro on the underside of a drone -- get the drone airborne no more than 20 feet in elevation -- fly it over to the far side of the backstretch and/or the far turn -- where it should easily be able to zoom in and get a 100% unobstructed side view of any horse galloping around the track in a counter-clockwise direction.

And from there, simply stream Go Pro video of pre race warmups instead of the all too often obstructed view currently provided by the pan shot camera.

-jp

Old 12-23-2017, 04:10 PM   #6
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equifan View Post

I don't know who/which dept at the individual tracks has the say about the live-stream feed that is sent to the ADW's. This would be directed to those individuals - whoever.

Most (all?) clutter the screen, hiding the horses. Either outright or with graphic overlays. Anyone (at home) trying to wager already has all this info available through the wagering interface. I, for one, want to see the field -- post parade, warmups, etc. Esp.their feet and body language in post parade.

Anyone else like-minded?
Yes.

This is why I play Hong Kong. It's almost like being there in person. The live feed allows you to see each horse, up close and personal, even their feet, conformation, tail, and for long enough to get a good look.

I am really tired of feeds with things popping up so I can't even see the horses or major parts of the horses.

Really, pull up Sha Tin one evening and see what I mean. And, each horse is "discussed" and on screen long enough to give the viewer an idea of their behavior and conformation. It's a joy to watch.

I have no idea why we can't do this?
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-25-2017, 12:56 PM   #7
Equifan

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
Yes.

This is why I play Hong Kong. It's almost like being there in person. The live feed allows you to see each horse, up close and personal, even their feet, conformation, tail, and for long enough to get a good look.

I am really tired of feeds with things popping up so I can't even see the horses or major parts of the horses.

Really, pull up Sha Tin one evening and see what I mean. And, each horse is "discussed" and on screen long enough to give the viewer an idea of their behavior and conformation. It's a joy to watch.

I have no idea why we can't do this?

Thanks, I'll have to give it a look. From what I can tell from the Twinspires calendar Hong Kong is only avail Wed 5:15 a.m. Reckon I'll need to set thye alarm for that one
Old 12-25-2017, 05:28 PM   #8
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
I agree. Racing really hasn't kept pace with technology.
You are too kind!
It appears to me that they outright FIGHT it.

Tradition = closed minds