Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 05-24-2018, 06:35 AM   #16
burnsy
self medicated

The excuse this morning from the talking heads is LeBron was tired. And his bio rythum was off. And they got burned badly as Boston gets another game with about 20 open looks. The defense stunk again, including Le King lol

Last edited by burnsy; 05-24-2018 at 06:42 AM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2018, 04:51 PM   #17
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote View Post
CLE defense was pretty good against Boston the past two games. Even Korver got three blocks in the last game and dove on the floor after a loose ball.

Rockets looked good beating GS at GS. That's not easy to do.

I'd love to see a CLE / HOU series. D'Antoni's coaching style is one of my favorites.
I don't think the Rockets looked good at all. Golden State was just terrible in the 4th quarter. Terrible shot selection and undisciplined play. And Houston still barely won and probably only led for a few minutes all game. Houston can't count on GS to come up with a non effort like that again.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2018, 06:39 PM   #18
lansdale

Adios LBJ

It will be strange to have an NBA Finals w/o Lebron -- last time it happened was, I believe, 2009, but Cavs are done for this year. To blame him for this is ridiculous -- he played a v. good game last night 26/10/10 -- even if he scores 35 they stlll lose. After losing Kyrie, they simply didn't have enough to win at this level. Maybe some speculation why Lebron was able to win with a bad team in 2015-- yes, but he was three years younger. No team has won an NBA championship with an SF as it's key player over the age of 32.

Agree w/Valuist re GSW/Rockets -- Warriors still the better team. 4th Q. of last game somewhat of a fluke, but more than few signs that they don't take Rox seriously -- careless shot selection, no screens set on three-ball attempts, Kerr not calling time to draw up a play in final seconds -- none of the usual signs that they felt they needed this win. Also no Iguodala in 4 Q. due to injury -- he'll be back tonight. One thing to note though -- this was the first time I watched Curry carefully since his long absence, it he seemed to have trouble beating defenders off the dribble in 4 Q. and creating space to shoot the three -- but he also had no screens, so not sure whether this is a real thing or not. We'll know more after tonight. BTW, predicting that tonight Ariza will take a serious cheap shot at one of the GSW shooters - Durant, Curry, or Klay -- in an attempt to knock him out of the game -- seriously hope I'm wrong about this.
lansdale is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2018, 08:03 PM   #19
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
I don't think the Rockets looked good at all. Golden State was just terrible in the 4th quarter. Terrible shot selection and undisciplined play. And Houston still barely won and probably only led for a few minutes all game. Houston can't count on GS to come up with a non effort like that again.
Sometimes a good team can make you look bad. Rockets may not have looked good because they were playing a good team. But Rockets are also a good team that caused GS to play poorly.

Same thing in CLE/BOS game 5. CLE played two good games back to back and were worn out. It's tough to put together 3 big games in this league this time of year. BOS is very good and CLE was awful.

CLE should be able to bounce back and win game 6. That will set up a game 7 which will be tough for CLE to win. But then again, you can't underestimate LBJ when his back is against the wall.

If CLE wins game 7 they definitely lose game 1 against either GS or HOU.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2018, 08:15 PM   #20
lamboguy

the last time the Celtics won a championship was about 10 years ago. they win in basketball like the Yankees do in baseball.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2018, 11:55 PM   #21
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Awful G5 between Hou/GS, and now GS is on the ropes needing to win the final 2 with G7 back in the crib of tonight's disaster.

Should be a really interesting wagering line for G6 in GS. GS in a blowout looks to be way too obvious.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2018, 01:13 AM   #22
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
Awful G5 between Hou/GS, and now GS is on the ropes needing to win the final 2 with G7 back in the crib of tonight's disaster.

Should be a really interesting wagering line for G6 in GS. GS in a blowout looks to be way too obvious.
GS blew it. They should have gotten the ball to Curry or Thompson. Green is not the guy you want to have the ball when the game is on the line.

The play was kind of a good idea. Green had a wide open lane to drive to the hoop and would have had an easy dunk or drawn the foul, but he dropped the ball figuratively and literally.

Chances of a CLE/HOU or BOS/HOU championship are increasing.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:20 AM   #23
lansdale

CP3 done?

Haven't seen any mention here, but looks as though CP3's late-game injury tonight may have doomed Rox chance to make the Finals. Knowledgeable friend observed that, from the pain he was clearly in, looked at like a hamstring tear, or at the least, a serious strain. Likely will be out for at least G. 6, and difficult to see how he might be effective in G.7 (which will doubtless be necessary). Really sad if this is the case -- would love to see this great player make it to one championship.

Re the game itself, the stars of both teams might have seemed underwhelming but only because both of these defenses are very good. That said, seems more clear now that Curry is not at his best -- many noting that he can't shake defenders and having a difficult time getting off threes. Rox not making things any easier for he and Klay, stopping their off-ball action off down-screens, not allowing them to make catches for threes. Thus their offense is forced into too much iso-Durant. As great a scorer as he is, he's not the guy you want with the ball in his hands in the crunch, and the resulting spectacle of disconnection everyone's seeing is mainly a function of this shift. Also seems that Kerr is betting outcoached by D'Antoni -- those last three were GSW possessions, one with Quinn Cook (?) bricking the most important shot of the season early in the clock, and another w/DG leading a fast break while forgetting the ball. In fairness to Green, though, he didn't have an open path to the hoop -- Eric Gordon and P.J. Tucker, two very capable defenders were directly in front of him and no way he gets a call at the basket on the road. But Houston still lucky to pull this out -- Harden was atrocious, but Gordon, amazingly clutch, as he has been in the post-season. CP3 was great down the stretch, but having to work so hard for open shots, and especially that last, may have ended his season. Hoping not.
lansdale is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2018, 03:54 AM   #24
thaskalos

That was the worst game that I've ever seen in my life. I spent the day with a cousin who just came from Greece...and he drove me nuts by continually telling me about how improved European basketball has become. To silence him once and for all, I invited him to watch tonight's game with me...so he could see how basketball is really played when the truly ELITE teams step on the court. And then he aggravated me anew, by staring at me throughout the game as if I were the dumbest guy that he ever saw.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:22 AM   #25
MutuelClerk

I haven't watched the NBA in years now. Don't like the way the game has changed. BUt no hockey last night, not much happening in baseball so I watched the last five mins. Awful, it will be years again before I watch again. Players who can't shoot keep jacking up threes. What I found really odd is NO ONE is underneath to rebound. Sometimes the ball hits the floor. Amazing. Give me hands on defense. inside games. The Magic-Bird-Isiah era. Unwatchable to me now.

As far as the Lebron-Jordan debate. Being a Detroiter and lover of the bad boys I despise Jordan and LeBron. If you believe the premise that athletes get better every generation then LeBron is better than Jordan. Who's more dominant? Not sure. Jordan couldn't win when the Lakers, Celtics and Pistons were at their very best. IT took a watered down expansion league to put him over the top. As far as LeBron goes. I think mentally he has flaws. Physically he's probably the most gifted athlete ever. I'll take Magic.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2018, 12:36 PM   #26
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
That was the worst game that I've ever seen in my life. I spent the day with a cousin who just came from Greece...and he drove me nuts by continually telling me about how improved European basketball has become. To silence him once and for all, I invited him to watch tonight's game with me...so he could see how basketball is really played when the truly ELITE teams step on the court. And then he aggravated me anew, by staring at me throughout the game as if I were the dumbest guy that he ever saw.
The Europeans have improved -- Australians, too.

Check out college rosters -- they're filled with Europeans and Aussies.

Even the prep schools are now attracting Euros and Aussies because the young foreign players want to come here to learn American-style basketball.

The foreign players are brought up learning solid fundamentals in training schools, whereas, Americans tend to learn to play streetball on the schoolyard and city courts.

A lot of American kids play too many AAU and "grass roots" basketball games where the goal is to win, not to become a better player. Too often the coach makes it about himself rather than about the players.

American NBA players are physical and athletic, but not necessarily as skilled as the foreigners.

My older son got recruited to play on a couple of AAU teams when he was in fifth grade. He played a lot of games, but noticed he wasn't getting better. So I called the best high school coach in the area -- a former NBA player. He told me about skill and conditioning clinics run by his cousin who was also a former NBA player. My son started to get good his sophomore year after going to the clinics where the focus was on fundamentals -- not games.

My son became a starter on varsity by the end of his sophomore year and by his senior year his team had the most wins in 60 years at his school.

He stopped playing AAU altogether after his junior year. He continues the skill clinics and hopes to play in college.

My younger son is a freshman. We are not going to have him play AAU until he is a junior. He just goes to the skill clinics and plays on the high school winter team. Without ever playing a single AAU game he was named captain of his freshman team because he has the most skill and knowledge of the game of anyone on the team -- probably in the entire league -- except for the other kids who attend the same clinic.

The unfortunate thing for the kids who come from families who can't afford professional trainers is that they are falling behind skill-wise. I see a lot of amazing athletes who play basketball, but they're not basketball players. I can see that they're frustrated when they get beaten by smaller kids with less athletic ability, but who have more skill and understanding of the game.

The greatest players have both world-class skills and world-class athleticism. Those are the Michael Jordans, Larry Birds, and Steph Curries of the world.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:43 PM   #27
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Well, if he thinks European pro basketball is anywhere near the level of the NBA, you are at worst the second dumbest guy he's ever seen assuming he uses a mirror occasionally.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2018, 04:49 PM   #28
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Well, if he thinks European pro basketball is anywhere near the level of the NBA, you are at worst the second dumbest guy he's ever seen assuming he uses a mirror occasionally.
Does this in any way excuse the sorry exhibition of so-called "basketball" that we witnessed last night?
Old 05-25-2018, 06:08 PM   #29
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
European pro basketball may not be near the level of the NBA, but some European players are on level footing with American born players.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:29 PM   #30
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Does this in any way excuse the sorry exhibition of so-called "basketball" that we witnessed last night?

Zero.

That was as bad of an NBA playoff game as I've watched in a while. Especially a conference finals Game 5 with so much on the line. Usually at least one team shows up and plays well.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: