Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-06-2021, 08:38 PM   #1
Afleet

Oaklawn may seek to move season

https://www.horseracingnation.com/ne...o_December_123

this seems to make sense but it should end in April so horses can go to Keenland
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-06-2021, 09:19 PM   #2
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afleet View Post
https://www.horseracingnation.com/ne...o_December_123

this seems to make sense but it should end in April so horses can go to Keenland
It's not really as simple as "horses sitting around" as Louis Cella so carelessly puts it.

Like any other athlete, a racehorse is best served with a seasonal break. There can be negative consequences to keeping an individual horse in training for too long in terms of soundness and longevity.

That doesn't mean Oaklawn can't run more dates, but it's pretty short-sighted to think it's simply a matter of doing away with whatever respite some of those Churchill horses were being afforded at the end of the season.

I'm no expert on Oaklawn, but doesn't the weather typically wreak havoc on the first part of the meet anyways?
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-07-2021, 02:11 PM   #3
JohnGalt1

I wish they'd still run most Thursdays.
JohnGalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2021, 07:30 AM   #4
Al Gobbi

Officially announced - 2021-2022 meet will run from December 3rd to May 8th, primarily on a Friday through Sunday schedule

https://www.drf.com/news/oaklawn-pla...eting-december
Al Gobbi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2021, 07:59 AM   #5
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Gobbi View Post
Officially announced - 2021-2022 meet will run from December 3rd to May 8th, primarily on a Friday through Sunday schedule

https://www.drf.com/news/oaklawn-pla...eting-december
Sounds great.

I will be coving Oaklawn for the 4th year in a row this year.

I absolutely LOVE this track and my overall win % and ROI has been very good here during the L4 years coving this meet.

Can’t wait!!!

Last edited by CheckMark; 06-09-2021 at 08:00 AM.
CheckMark is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2021, 10:12 AM   #6
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
It's not really as simple as "horses sitting around" as Louis Cella so carelessly puts it.

Like any other athlete, a racehorse is best served with a seasonal break. There can be negative consequences to keeping an individual horse in training for too long in terms of soundness and longevity.

That doesn't mean Oaklawn can't run more dates, but it's pretty short-sighted to think it's simply a matter of doing away with whatever respite some of those Churchill horses were being afforded at the end of the season.

I'm no expert on Oaklawn, but doesn't the weather typically wreak havoc on the first part of the meet anyways?
Year round racing has been terrible for the sport. In addition to these points it also oversaturates the product with the public.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2021, 01:23 PM   #7
tbwinner

I do not understand this. Oaklawn a decade ago used to start around January 10 and there were many years where they had to cancel races due to a freezing track. Since being in a protected national park or some other protected designation, they cannot use certain products on the track limiting their ability to have it in a safe condition.

What an embarrassment it would be if they had to cancel opening weekend!!
tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2021, 03:50 PM   #8
Parkview_Pirate

I see the logic of this proposal, as Oaklawn could probably attract a bit more of the November - December handle, though like the horses, a lot of players take a break too after Breeder's Cup.

The weather is a concern, but the racing over the holidays could be a bit of draw. I'm in favor of it, because I do okay at OP, while I can't pick my nose with TP or LA racing.

What I want to know is when is OakLAWN going to install a turf course? Like TURFway Park, they have a misleading name with just a dirt/all-weather surface.....
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply