Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-15-2022, 06:36 PM   #1
westernmassbob

Tracks closing due to heat....there has to be a better idea.

I’ve seen this happen at Saratoga as well. Has any track considered changing starting post time to early morning on these predicted hot days ? It seems like a pretty easy solution. The temperatures usually don’t get dangerous until early afternoon. Huge loss to shut down for the day for all connections involved.
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2022, 06:46 PM   #2
pandy

I really don't know what the temps were with this week's closings, but some of the days I've seen tracks shut down had temps in the mid 90's, with high humidity, but I still don't understand why they would not race. I've been to Saratoga many times in similar weather and I never saw any problem with any of the horses. Of course, not every horse was on lasix years ago, which might complicate things.

Horses basically jog around the track a few times and race for 90 seconds. I don't understand how a powerful animal like a racehorse can be threatened by running for 90 seconds on a 95 degree summer day, which is just normal summer weather. And it's not like there's no water around. If an athlete is well hydrated, performing for 90 seconds shouldn't be an issue. If the horse was out in a field it might run more than that.

I think it's just to ward off animal rights criticism.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2022, 06:59 PM   #3
the little guy

Saratoga has closed due to heat twice in the last 16 years.

Clearly this is a major issue. Westernmassbob, on the case again!!
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2022, 07:22 PM   #4
westernmassbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Saratoga has closed due to heat twice in the last 16 years.

Clearly this is a major issue. Westernmassbob, on the case again!!
I certainly didn’t say anything about it being a major issue. What is an issue is that 1 days loss of purse money or work for all the connections can be devastating. Probably more so for those barn workers etc. I feel there can be alternatives like adding racing dates or changing the post time like i suggested. Instead of just thinking of yourself all the time TLG, why not offer up some suggestions ? You are quick to critique everyone on here but offer no suggestions or ways to make things better. I don’t know if your truly a narcissist but you definitely come across one on here.
Old 06-15-2022, 07:31 PM   #5
westernmassbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
I really don't know what the temps were with this week's closings, but some of the days I've seen tracks shut down had temps in the mid 90's, with high humidity, but I still don't understand why they would not race. I've been to Saratoga many times in similar weather and I never saw any problem with any of the horses. Of course, not every horse was on lasix years ago, which might complicate things.

Horses basically jog around the track a few times and race for 90 seconds. I don't understand how a powerful animal like a racehorse can be threatened by running for 90 seconds on a 95 degree summer day, which is just normal summer weather. And it's not like there's no water around. If an athlete is well hydrated, performing for 90 seconds shouldn't be an issue. If the horse was out in a field it might run more than that.

I think it's just to ward off animal rights criticism.
Or maybe human rights criticism? Heck the jockeys are basically racing dehydrated on a normal day....I can only imagine the effect the high heat index has on them. In any event racing in extreme temperatures isn’t safe for man or animal.
Old 06-15-2022, 07:43 PM   #6
judehaz

I think tracks canceling due to heat is the right decision, not for PR reasons, but to actually protect the human and equine athletes - and for that matter, spectators, especially at the bigger venues!

Right now in Chester, WV, it's 90 degrees and the real feel is 99 - at 7:40 p.m.! These are not conditions that horses at Mountaineer are at all used to being in, much less racing in. In this track's case, it was right to cancel. There was no other time the track could have possibly rescheduled to.

Regarding NYRA, I'll continue to be a defender of them here. Are they perfect? No, but no organization is, and I believe they do it better than most.

Obviously, no track wants to cancel a card for any reason. They're voluntarily choosing to forego profits that day.

I agree these cancelations, just like cancelations due to lack of entries, can be especially hard on the horsemen and horsewomen, particularly backstretch workers. The solution is not to continue to run in dangerous conditions, but rather for tracks and others to offer ancillary support services like what Saratoga BEST does.
judehaz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2022, 07:50 PM   #7
classhandicapper

You should have been at MTH for Maximum Security's Haskell in 2019. I left for awhile because I couldn't take it anymore and then went back later after freshening up. It was brutal.
Old 06-15-2022, 07:55 PM   #8
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernmassbob View Post
I certainly didn’t say anything about it being a major issue. What is an issue is that 1 days loss of purse money or work for all the connections can be devastating. Probably more so for those barn workers etc. I feel there can be alternatives like adding racing dates or changing the post time like i suggested. Instead of just thinking of yourself all the time TLG, why not offer up some suggestions ? You are quick to critique everyone on here but offer no suggestions or ways to make things better. I don’t know if your truly a narcissist but you definitely come across one on here.
Why would you need to think hard about something that hardly ever happens?
Old 06-15-2022, 08:03 PM   #9
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Why would you need to think hard about something that hardly ever happens?
I enjoyed his completely lame cheap shots directed at me. At least he was honest for once. Moronic, but for him....honest.
Old 06-15-2022, 08:09 PM   #10
Bustin Stones

I was always curious why we have day racing during non winter months. More customers are available in the evening. The evening air is kinder to the animals. Maybe it harkens back to the days of day baseball due to lack of lights.
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2022, 08:13 PM   #11
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin Stones View Post
I was always curious why we have day racing during non winter months. More customers are available in the evening. The evening air is kinder to the animals. Maybe it harkens back to the days of day baseball due to lack of lights.
Night racing does very minimal handle.
Old 06-15-2022, 08:13 PM   #12
westernmassbob

Quote:
I enjoyed his completely lame cheap shots directed at me. At least he was honest for once. Moronic, but for him....honest.
Gaslighting......another sign of being a narcissist.
Old 06-15-2022, 08:17 PM   #13
westernmassbob

“The solution is not to continue to run in dangerous conditions, but rather for tracks and others to offer ancillary support services like what Saratoga BEST does.”

I’m a very big supporter of the Saratoga BEST program which is available at their other tracks as well. It would be nice if there was financial burden relief assistance incorporated into that program. Maybe there is at some tracks...just haven’t heard of any. I would support them as well.
Old 06-15-2022, 08:35 PM   #14
woodbinepmi

Quote:
Night racing does very minimal handle.
And the horseman hate it
Old 06-15-2022, 08:39 PM   #15
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbinepmi View Post
And the horseman hate it