Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 06-14-2022, 02:55 PM   #8566
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
To "select" is to choose, pick out, to make a choice. This is what making a selection means.
Not necessarily. The meaning of words can, and do, change over time. to deny this is the Etymological Fallacy.

Quote:
An impersonal, inorganic, irrational universe cannot make selections.
Not true. For example, the sun generates electromagnetic energy which consists of very long radio waves to very short gamma radiation. Most of these wavelengths do not penetrate the earth's atmosphere. For the most part only visible light penetrates the atmosphere. The atmosphere "selects" visible light.
Old 06-14-2022, 04:33 PM   #8567
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
Not necessarily. The meaning of words can, and do, change over time. to deny this is the Etymological Fallacy.
Tell that to my M-W.

Quote:
Not true. For example, the sun generates electromagnetic energy which consists of very long radio waves to very short gamma radiation. Most of these wavelengths do not penetrate the earth's atmosphere. For the most part only visible light penetrates the atmosphere. The atmosphere "selects" visible light.
In only in the world of science fiction comic books.
Old 06-14-2022, 05:04 PM   #8568
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Tell that to my M-W.
I think the editors of M-W are aware of it.

Quote:
In only in the world of science fiction comic books.
Which comic books do you read?
Old 06-14-2022, 06:11 PM   #8569
boxcar

Quote:
I think the editors of M-W are aware of it.
Little slow on updating their material.

Quote:
Which comic books do you read?
Gave them up while I was still a kid. But many of us never grow up.
Old 06-14-2022, 08:55 PM   #8570
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Little slow on updating their material.
It's been 163 years since Darwin published On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection. How fast do they need to be?

Quote:
Gave them up while I was still a kid. But many of us never grow up.
Comics are an art form. Read Watchmen.
Old 06-15-2022, 07:21 AM   #8571
Bustin Stones

I thought this was an appropriate thread to write that I just watched the DVD "The Most Reluctant Convert", and enjoyed it.
'The Most Reluctant Convert depicts the events that shaped author C.S. Lewis' early life and journey from hard-boiled atheism to prolific Christianity.'
It was thought provoking.
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2022, 08:40 AM   #8572
boxcar

Quote:
It's been 163 years since Darwin published On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection. How fast do they need to be?
Then I'd say they're slower than molasses going up Mt. Everest in the dead of winter.

Quote:
Comics are an art form. Read Watchmen.
Exactly. Science fiction is designed to entertain, and not inform us with truth. Now you're catching on.
Old 06-15-2022, 08:47 AM   #8573
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin Stones View Post
I thought this was an appropriate thread to write that I just watched the DVD "The Most Reluctant Convert", and enjoyed it.
'The Most Reluctant Convert depicts the events that shaped author C.S. Lewis' early life and journey from hard-boiled atheism to prolific Christianity.'
It was thought provoking.
Hah! I have heard from others who have read Lewis extensively that his conversion is an incredible story. I knew he was a staunch atheist...up until the day God got a hold of him.

This movie is streaming on Amazon Prime, by the way.
Old 06-15-2022, 02:28 PM   #8574
Bustin Stones

What is most interesting is that Lewis treated the acceptance of religion as an exercise in rational thinking. He was well educated, well read and had access to any number of brilliant colleagues to discuss and debate his anti religious stances. They were able to convince him through brute force of reason to change his views. Neither side appeared dismissive of the other's viewpoint. The presentation takes us through some of the high points of those discussions.
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2022, 02:44 PM   #8575
boxcar

Quote:
What is most interesting is that Lewis treated the acceptance of religion as an exercise in rational thinking. He was well educated, well read and had access to any number of brilliant colleagues to discuss and debate his anti religious stances. They were able to convince him through brute force of reason to change his views. Neither side appeared dismissive of the other's viewpoint. The presentation takes us through some of the high points of those discussions.
To change his views from what to what?
Old 06-15-2022, 04:05 PM   #8576
dnlgfnk

Quote:
Lewis was influenced greatly by G.K. Chesterton and his The Everlasting Man. Chesterton was fluent in paradox, exposing his opponents' arguments to contradiction when thought about more deeply. One of my favorite examples is the idea that progressives are on a continued march into the future (cf. Steven Pinker, Enlightenment Now) by changing the standard. Chesterton cites Tennyson..."Let the great world spin for ever down the ringing grooves of change." Yet one needs a standard to measure progress, as well as by continually changing, one is doing the same thing over and over again, the most stale of tedious, monotonous ideals.

I have Orthodoxy, The Everlasting Man and his collected works in my library.
Old 06-15-2022, 11:14 PM   #8577
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Then I'd say they're slower than molasses going up Mt. Everest in the dead of winter.
You were the one who brought up M-W. So what's your point?

Quote:
Science fiction is designed to entertain, and not inform us with truth.
Science fiction has made more predictions that have come true than the Bible has. How's this for truth?
  • Nuclear weapons, predicted in The World Set Free by H.G. Wells
  • Submarines as weapons of war, predicted in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne
  • Proxy wars such as Vietnam and Afganistan, predicted in 1984 by George Orwell
  • A world wide pandemic predicted by Contagion by Scott Z. Burns
Old 06-16-2022, 08:04 AM   #8578
boxcar

Quote:
You were the one who brought up M-W. So what's your point?
Above my paygrade. I can't make you understand it.

Quote:
Science fiction has made more predictions that have come true than the Bible has. How's this for truth?
  • Nuclear weapons, predicted in The World Set Free by H.G. Wells
  • Submarines as weapons of war, predicted in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne
  • Proxy wars such as Vietnam and Afganistan, predicted in 1984 by George Orwell
  • A world wide pandemic predicted by Contagion by Scott Z. Burns
And each of these met your stringent, multi-point requirements for predictions, too, right?
Old 06-16-2022, 11:14 AM   #8579
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
And each of these met your stringent, multi-point requirements for predictions, too, right?
I did not make any stringent, multi-point requirements for predictions. I quoted a list of stringent, multi-point requirements for prophecies. Predictions and prophecies are not the same thing.
Old 06-16-2022, 11:29 AM   #8580
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
The requirements for a fulfilled prophecy are:
  • Made clearly and demonstrably prior the the events predicted.
  • Intended to be a prediction.
  • A non-mundane claim.
  • Answerable only by a single, clear, verifiable occurrence.
  • Not open to interpretation.
  • Not something people are actively attempting to fulfill.
Notice that a prediction is only one of the requirements.