Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-08-2022, 01:07 PM   #1126
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
It's so good to see politics still aren't allowed in the racing section.
Fixed.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2022, 03:25 PM   #1127
Robert Fischer
clean money

Report: NY Equine Lab Trying to Keep Up With Doping

even the press is starting to occasionally speak openly;

" The Times Union noted that the New York lab, and most other equine testing labs in the country, can only test for three types of EPO, but there are 82 kinds worldwide.

"…they've been synthesized; they're available," Maylin told the Times Union. "So if you're testing for EPOs and you're only doing three and there are another 70-plus out there, who are you kidding?"

horse racing is the one we see, and get fired up about.

It's the same in NFL,NBA,MLB,NHL,olympics,cycling, everything...

just not something that's good to talk about when you have the perception of integrity and the endorsements etc... with the sports.
Old 02-08-2022, 04:55 PM   #1128
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
even the press is starting to occasionally speak openly;

" The Times Union noted that the New York lab, and most other equine testing labs in the country, can only test for three types of EPO, but there are 82 kinds worldwide.

"…they've been synthesized; they're available," Maylin told the Times Union. "So if you're testing for EPOs and you're only doing three and there are another 70-plus out there, who are you kidding?"

horse racing is the one we see, and get fired up about.

It's the same in NFL,NBA,MLB,NHL,olympics,cycling, everything...

just not something that's good to talk about when you have the perception of integrity and the endorsements etc... with the sports.
The continuous story of all sports is that advances of testing trail advances of PED's. But then every once in awhile they develop a new test and catch people. Every once in awhile a doper slips up too and gets caught.

Someone said this earlier, but that's why the federal government getting involved in Servis/Navarro was such an important thing. Because surveillance is the only tool that can catch people who know how to evade the tests.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2022, 08:39 PM   #1129
Psychotic Parakeet
Sartin Methodology Fan

Considering it is nearly every owner's dream to win the Kentucky Derby, I am a bit suspicious as to why none of his potential Derby horses went to another trainer months ago? The news about him being banned from the Derby for the next two runnings was stated last year, and I would have thought may have changed things. Are they loyal for the sake of just getting purse money at this rate? Or are they banking on Baffert weaseling his way out of that ruling from CDI so the horses are eligible?

I also wonder if CDI held out for this long to see if Medina Spirit's necropsy results would show he was "internally tampered with" to reaffirm their decision? Or is Baffert hoping they don't find anything, so he can turn around and sue CDI?
Old 02-08-2022, 08:54 PM   #1130
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotic Parakeet View Post

I also wonder if CDI held out for this long to see if Medina Spirit's necropsy results would show he was "internally tampered with" to reaffirm their decision? Or is Baffert hoping they don't find anything, so he can turn around and sue CDI?
This doesn't make any sense. CDI isn't holding out. They suspended him for two years. End of story. Medina Spirit's death has nothing to do with it. That is a separate issue.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2022, 09:13 PM   #1131
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
This doesn't make any sense. CDI isn't holding out. They suspended him for two years. End of story. Medina Spirit's death has nothing to do with it. That is a separate issue.
Right. The KHRC is delaying, not CD.
Old 02-08-2022, 10:16 PM   #1132
the little guy

I feel better now
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-09-2022, 09:09 AM   #1133
Andy Asaro

Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-09-2022, 01:50 PM   #1134
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
The continuous story of all sports is that advances of testing trail advances of PED's. But then every once in awhile they develop a new test and catch people. Every once in awhile a doper slips up too and gets caught.

Someone said this earlier, but that's why the federal government getting involved in Servis/Navarro was such an important thing. Because surveillance is the only tool that can catch people who know how to evade the tests.
When my mother was alive, and I was a kid she'd joke and point out at the sky and say "Wave." "When you die, and your life flashes before your eyes, you'll see yourself saying 'hi'!"

Today, don't worry, other phones, your phone, the CCTV, etc... are processing the data.

Someone asks me "hey Jase, how would a veteran Kareem or Michael Jordan do in today's NBA?" and I picture them adapting to today's analytic-driven style..., but I also picture them with 10lbs more muscle and Hair.

I sort of see PEDs as part of technology in a way.

We don't want a surveillance state. A single centralized ultimate power with no freedoms and privacy is worse than competitive market who think all is fair in love and war... Those freedoms and privacy is plenty by itself, but also remember that a centralized power is not some 'saint' that always acts fair and won't use it's power for political or other means.

i'm babbling on here, and I don't know a lot about the subject...
i see occasional horseplayers advocate for more and more surveillance, without seeming to realize that a)cat is out of bag, and b)surveillance≠paradise
Old 02-09-2022, 03:52 PM   #1135
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
When my mother was alive, and I was a kid she'd joke and point out at the sky and say "Wave." "When you die, and your life flashes before your eyes, you'll see yourself saying 'hi'!"

Today, don't worry, other phones, your phone, the CCTV, etc... are processing the data.

Someone asks me "hey Jase, how would a veteran Kareem or Michael Jordan do in today's NBA?" and I picture them adapting to today's analytic-driven style..., but I also picture them with 10lbs more muscle and Hair.
https://twitter.com/jason_kassa/stat...81938858815488

I sort of see PEDs as part of technology in a way.

We don't want a surveillance state. A single centralized ultimate power with no freedoms and privacy is worse than competitive market who think all is fair in love and war... Those freedoms and privacy is plenty by itself, but also remember that a centralized power is not some 'saint' that always acts fair and won't use it's power for political or other means.

i'm babbling on here, and I don't know a lot about the subject...
i see occasional horseplayers advocate for more and more surveillance, without seeming to realize that a)cat is out of bag, and b)surveillance≠paradise

Horsemen are licensed in part because they have the power to fix races and defraud gamblers. There's already a ton of surveillance on them and it doesn't strike me as terrible
Old 02-09-2022, 06:55 PM   #1136
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Horsemen are licensed in part because they have the power to fix races and defraud gamblers. There's already a ton of surveillance on them and it doesn't strike me as terrible

Really? Does the same sort of reasoning apply to the licensing of attorneys?
Old 02-10-2022, 01:18 AM   #1137
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Really? Does the same sort of reasoning apply to the licensing of attorneys?
We aren't under surveillance but our client trust funds are.
Old 02-10-2022, 04:26 PM   #1138
Andy Asaro

Old 02-10-2022, 06:16 PM   #1139
Andy Asaro

“There have been dozens of deaths in cycling going back 30 years, and it became clear that these elite cyclists were dropping dead when EPO use first became evident,” Lyons said.

Baffert said he’d been injecting those horses with thyroxine, a hormone that can increase energy but is commonly prescribed to treat hypothyroidism.

Clark Brewster, a spokesman for Baffert, told The Post that “there is not even a scintilla of evidence, let alone a suggestion, that this horse received anything improper. It’s silly to suggest it. Medina Spirit, like all horses at this level of competition, was extensively tested pre-race and post-race. This idea of EPO blood doping is easily dispelled. It’s just nonsense.”
Old 02-10-2022, 08:21 PM   #1140
Andy Asaro

Attorney: Baffert’s 2021 Kentucky Derby hearing will be Monday

https://www.horseracingnation.com/ne..._be_Monday_123

========================================

CHRB ADVISORY

The California Horse Racing Board with the cooperation of the University of California-Davis will be issuing a news release along with the Medina Spirit necropsy report at 9 a.m. (PST). Friday to those receiving this advisory. A Q&A via teleconference for credentialed news media will follow at 11 a.m. (PST) Friday. Dial-in details for the Q&A will be provided in the news release. No further information will be available until 9 a.m. Friday.

Last edited by Andy Asaro; 02-10-2022 at 08:22 PM.