Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 09-19-2021, 11:55 AM   #1
PIC6SIX

Cool NAME YOUR "BREAD & BUTTER" WAGER

Huey Mauhl, deceased author and noted handicapper, used to say if he had to choose a certain type of wager to provide constant income for his living expenses it would be the "House Quinella". What is your most consistent income wager and reason why you favor it.
PIC6SIX is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2021, 03:16 PM   #2
Robert Fischer
clean money

These threads always remind me of my beliefs that whenever your overlay involves the winning horse of any sequence, that 'Win' should at least accompany your exotic.

I guess I'd say Pick-3 or Superfecta.
Good balance of difficulty, cost, consistency. Takeout generally not good unless you make a case for division by 3 and 4.

I'd rather that I 'graduate' to more properly covered P5's and P6's, but those are the two wagers that jump out for now.
Old 09-19-2021, 06:10 PM   #3
thaskalos

The exacta. It's economical, and it has retained its value...unlike the trifecta, the pick-3 and the superfecta...which now pay only a fraction of what they used to pay. Whenever a newcomer asks me for betting advice in this game...I tell him to stick with the exactas exclusively. And I wish I had followed this advice myself.
Old 09-19-2021, 06:33 PM   #4
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
The exacta. It's economical, and it has retained its value...unlike the trifecta, the pick-3 and the superfecta...which now pay only a fraction of what they used to pay. Whenever a newcomer asks me for betting advice in this game...I tell him to stick with the exactas exclusively. And I wish I had followed this advice myself.
I am always thankful to hear answers here that are not "same old, same old" or simply in lockstep with current trends. Good luck always!
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2021, 06:37 PM   #5
pandy

The exacta is still a good wager. You can win even if your horse doesn't win.

With the Double, Pick 3, etc, you have to pick several winners in a row.

With the superfecta, you not only have to pick the winner but the three horses that come in under it.

With the exacta, if you key a horse with one or two horses, it can finish second and you can still get a profit, so you can win, even if your horse didn't win.

The only way you can do that with trifectas and superfectas is to play a lot more combinations. With the exacta, you can use your horse first and second without spreading too thin.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2021, 06:53 PM   #6
FakeNameChanged

I have to complete the Trifecta with Thask and Pandy on the Exacta. In my case, it's more of my Bread & Water Wager if I relied on it for my main source of income. My favorite play on exactas is to find a longer-priced horse either by angles or preferably tote methods and key it with either the top two favorites and one other angle/tote longer priced horse, or sometimes with two longer odds horses and only a strong favorite. I always include a W/P on my top pick too.
Old 09-19-2021, 06:54 PM   #7
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
I am always thankful to hear answers here that are not "same old, same old" or simply in lockstep with current trends. Good luck always!
Thank you, Tom. And good luck to you as well.
Old 09-19-2021, 06:59 PM   #8
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Win, win/place, 1 unit win, 3 units place at 9-2 or higher.
Sometimes exactas, maybe a double, but it's not often I see two bettable races in a row anymore.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:19 PM   #9
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Win, win/place, 1 unit win, 3 units place at 9-2 or higher.
Sometimes exactas, maybe a double, but it's not often I see two bettable races in a row anymore.
Agreeing with Tom here.

Win, win/place is my go to if I get a good price that I like
Sometimes exacta or daily double if there are multiple races/horses to do a bet

I will rarely play a Pick 3/4/5/6 and won’t do any show parlays but only if there are newcomers with me and suggest a fun way to win money for them.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:21 PM   #10
lamboguy

it would be House Q's if they still exist.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2021, 12:07 PM   #11
Mick

Not bread and butter but for new people like me, I would say Superfectas are a great way to learn, have fun and maybe get lucky.

I bet skinny Superfectas where I have 2 or maybe three strong opinions. Even if I don't handicap, I can listen to experts opinions and sense when they have strong opinions and structure a inexpensive Superfecta that has a chance of paying well.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2021, 01:27 PM   #12
ranchwest

Picking a horse beyond first is not the same as picking a winner. So, I think some people will be better at verticals and some better at horizontals. My opinion is that a handicapper should play to personal strengths.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:53 PM   #13
delfman

wouldn't say I have a bread and butter wager(cause here lately, the last few years, my bread and butter have been online tourneys), but I'll try and answer in a fashion that I think your looking for.

fav bet would be exactas.
big straight ones for 50 or 100 in an 8 horse field.
which I usually turn around for a third.
so 100$ 5-6 and 30$ 6-5

I also like keying horses in a superfecta when I don't like the even $ fav.
say, 5-6 w 5-6 w 3 other horses running 3rd and 4th.
has to be at least 10 horse field.

I'll leave the fav. totally out of the bet.

as far as your other thread goes on race condition.
by far and away my most profitable and fav. types of races to handicap would be mid level maiden claimers for 3yo and up.

Last edited by delfman; 09-20-2021 at 06:57 PM.
delfman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2021, 08:06 PM   #14
MJC922

If it's a serious bet which for me would be considered something compelling about the horse in the scenario today both an excellent chance to win at a decent price then I'll just flat bet the horse to win. If the odds are too low then I may try to get some leverage in the exacta but it becomes more of an action bet then. The value with the exacta is IMO people use more horses than they really need to sometimes. With an exacta even if you like a longshot to win or place then one of the three favorites will still be in the exacta except for maybe one race on the entire card.

I do think doubles if played selectively may present some of the best value in the game. It's a short enough sequence where if you beat a favorite you can have some very nice doubles going and it isn't so long of a series that you're almost sure to have an underlay mixed in there somewhere to dilute your value like in the longer horizontals.

So for me, win first then exactas or doubles depending upon the situation at hand. For bread and butter scenarios I still like the smallish field where I prefer one horse over the rest and it isn't the favorite, the race has a logical favorite but I have just as good or better horse against it, that's a flat bet scenario that I seem to do well in as long as I've thoroughly done the work on the race, watched all of the replays etc.

Last edited by MJC922; 09-20-2021 at 08:19 PM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2021, 10:23 PM   #15
classhandicapper

My favorite situation is a race where I have a "downgrade" for one of the favorites and an "upgrade" for a couple of horses at a good price. I will usually bet both upgrades to win, box the exacta lookin for a nice hit, and sometimes box the two of them over a few horses in the tri/super looking for a score if I really hate the short priced horse and expect him to be out of everything.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: