Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 05-18-2020, 07:14 PM   #31
PressThePace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBill View Post
I was invited to go to Detroit Race Course with a friend of for Kentucky Derby day in 1995. I decided to go and had never wagered on a horse in my life. It was a lot of fun and I managed to win a pick 3 for 381.00 as well as hitting a long shot horse that paid 31.00 dollars. If I would have lost I probably would have never went again. The track was only about 10 minutes from my house so I started to be a regular there. I miss the days of having a track right by my house. I know you can bet with simulcasting easily, but back then racing information was available in the newspapers. I kept close notes and results from DRC and have never done as well as I did back then. Gerald Bennett (now at Tampa) was one of the best trainers in Detroit those days.
Tracks that have since been closed have littered this thread. It's very sad. You start to see how many people might not ever get to experience this sport. This industry has so many self-inflicted problems, but I can't help but love it, still.
PressThePace is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2020, 07:35 PM   #32
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

DRC was a great place!

I used to be in Detroit on business a few times a month.
I would be heading back to the airport and stop for lunch along Telegraph road and sit in a parking lot to read a paper and eat waiting for it get to be time to head to the airport.

One day, I had the window open and swore I heard a voice say "They're OFF!" And then I heard bits and pieces of a race call!

I drove around the area and found the track!
So from then on, I always booked the LATE flight home and hit the track. for a few races.

Loved the place.

And I even took a full week's vacation one year and stayed across the street from the track and went every day. There was a little store across 96 and up a block called the Tout. Free coffee, place full of horse racing books, mags, systems...and the place was owned by a Sartin guy and he posted all his Sartin picks on the wall everyday. Cool place - eventually moved to a spot inside the track itself.

Fio Rito, Finger Lakes Horse of the Century, won the Michigan Mile there the year he won the Whitney at Saratoga. Had his photo in the big glass case on the ground floor.

Loved that ramp to the second floor.

Last edited by Tom; 05-18-2020 at 07:42 PM.
Tom is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2020, 10:56 PM   #33
citygoat

Everybody put in a quarter and I had Majestic Prince 1969 Derby. Off to the races since then. One day I will pick another winner.
citygoat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2020, 12:41 AM   #34
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
It never failed on the way out I'd get asked at least three times..."You done with your book?"
I TREASURE those old two-dollar bettors who refer to a form or program as a "book."
Those same guys refer to setting the pace as "jumping out there," late movers as closing "like a bat of hell," and are contemptuously suspicious of any race that finds chalk off the board.

Until the last of them died off just a few years ago, encountering guys like that who had known me since I was a kid gave me great pleasure. And if they had known my dad and called me "Markie" like he did, I probably loved them for it, just a little.

On an irrelevant, but potentially interesting note, Henry Mancini was one of those guys.

Last edited by mountainman; 05-19-2020 at 12:55 AM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2020, 01:08 AM   #35
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachv30 View Post
Really inspiring...great story!!
Tx, sir. Horseracing is a seductress who offers her charms in straight-up exchange for your soul. I made that deal and have never regretted it. Not for a nano-second.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:19 AM   #36
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Don't you EVER stop...the game is in dire NEED of guys like you. And, please...do some more WRITING.
Tx, my good friend. And much respect, as always.

I do have an offer for The Darkest Mile to be fashioned into a short graphic story. And am working on other things.

Mnr's new owners have revamped the website, which probably precludes more blogging under "Patterson's Perspective," but I still hope they provide forum to continue it.

I yet have plenty to say, and plenty of cages need rattled. Hard.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:26 AM   #37
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressThePace View Post
I've spoken with Chris Lincoln more than a few times....great guy!. Always a class act and loves horse racing!

Really enjoyed reading this. Thanks for sharing.
tx, sir. Plus, he is supernaturally charismatic.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:40 AM   #38
Johnny V

I had a couple of uncles that played the horses and they used to watch the watch the race of the week show in NY so I started developing an interest. I used to sit at the drugstore counter and read Turf and Sport Digest while sucking down egg cream sodas. I bought a little book called How to Win Money at the Races by Nate Perlmutter and at 17 I went to Aqueduct for the first time. I loved it and was hooked from the start. After that it was Aqueduct, Belmont, and Monmouth park every chance I got.
Johnny V is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2020, 09:58 AM   #39
how cliche
How Cliche

i fall under the "i got lucky with my first bet" category.

my then gf and future bride dragged me out to celebrate new years' day 1999 at golden gate fields. i was hung over and didn't really want to go. my career at that time was as a touring musician. we'd played a show in san diego, at a club called the casbah, december 30 and it was the final show of 40 one nighters around north america.

first race i saw and bet featured a runner with san diego and my first name in his name. had 30 to play the entire day and the hunch was too strong to do anything but risk it all. no knowledge. no 'capping. got lucky. fan for life.
how cliche is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2020, 12:09 PM   #40
Muddy
Muddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBill View Post
I was invited to go to Detroit Race Course with a friend of for Kentucky Derby day in 1995. I decided to go and had never wagered on a horse in my life. It was a lot of fun and I managed to win a pick 3 for 381.00 as well as hitting a long shot horse that paid 31.00 dollars. If I would have lost I probably would have never went again. The track was only about 10 minutes from my house so I started to be a regular there. I miss the days of having a track right by my house. I know you can bet with simulcasting easily, but back then racing information was available in the newspapers. I kept close notes and results from DRC and have never done as well as I did back then. Gerald Bennett (now at Tampa) was one of the best trainers in Detroit those days.
I live about 2 miles ( Joy & Middlebelt) from the old DRC right now. Started going to Northville downs with my dad when I was about 12-13. Met a lot of people over the years. Bred and owned a few horses over the years. Retired now mostly play from home. I haven't been to the track here in years. The one around (ND)is pretty run down. I did make it to Tampa Bay downs back in early March while on a golf trip just before the world shut down.
Muddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2020, 02:20 PM   #41
HHE10
BANNED

If you never knew, i'm actually Check Mark's brother (some of you already know that from previous posts on here ), so our story is pretty much the same.

My father and grandfather both used to race horses way before both of us were born. We have a lot of my dad's winner circle photos and his driving colours still with us (used to fit me ). I always loved his custom helmet with had his name on it with other custom designs on it too. His colours were blue and white with a big letter "E" on both side of the shoulder.

I always liked his story's he told me when I was growing up. His claim to fame is when my dad and my mom claimed a horse at Greenwood. Her name was Wild Honey Pie. She hasn't won a race in over 2 years, and they both still claimed her the week before. The race she was in was bigger than a mile (so like 1 1/8 or something) but she ended up winning the race at 8-1. Still have the race on VHS tape and shows my dad with his colours on and my mom with her big white boots on. I always loved that race and will still cherish it in the future. He also retired from racing with a .300+ UDRS rating which most people can never accomplish even today.

My dad used to work for Don Leblanc who owned a horse called A Go Go Lauxmont. He won 17 out of 36 starts and banked $299,881 (12 wins came in the Ontario Sire Stakes) which that was a lot of money back than. He took a record of 154.3 at Red Mile in a time trial, making him one of the first Ontario-sired trotters to achieve a sub-1:55 trotting record at a time that Ontario's circuit was solely composed of half-mile and five-eighths mile tracks.

My dad paddocked him the night he raced in the 1988 Canadian Trotting Classic, leading most of the way and getting beat by a nose to future Hambletonian and divisional champion Armbro Goal. My dad's friend used to own him (Paul Lindsey) had him when he went to stud for a bit, but was later bought by someone else. Offspring made almost $15 million.

One of my first times to the racetrack was maybe 4 or 5 years old at my local racetrack Grand River Raceway. Being so small, my view of the racetrack was looking through the chain link fence watching the horse go by. I think I visited the racetrack more when I was little more than today, since you can watch it on tv and bet from home too.

I didn't really know how to read the program at a young age, circling random numbers and letter, hoping to pick a winner or something. Looking back at the few programs I have kept, I don't even know that I was thinking back than .

I started to know more and more about the program, with help from my grandfather, which got me a better understanding on how it all works. My grandfather used to keep old harness racing programs for my brother and I to read, he was always so excited to see some of his grand children finally fall in love with the best sport in the world. I don't really remember a whole lot with my grandfather, as he passed away when I was 6 years old, but I still remember some of the good memories we had.

I think one of my coolest memories I had when I was little is when my entire family went to Tioga Downs to watch the driving championship. While I was there I got to meet and get autographs with all of the drivers like yannick gingras, tim tetrick, john campbell and ron peirce. I remember when we were getting autographs, my mom met ron and was telling him about how mad she was when he beat Somebeachsomewhere in the Meadowland Pace. So he signed his signature and made an inscription saying "I loved when I beat the Beach".

The night before the driving championship, my brother dad and I went up to meet the announcer at the time, Darin Zoccali invited us in the announcers booth and see what it was like to call a race from the top. We got really lucky and had a race named after my brother and I. It was called the "Conley and Hudson Ecclestone Trotting Classic" You can find the race replay below (if you can't find it it was on July 31st, 2010 at Tioga Downs Race 9) https://www.tiogadowns.com/racing/video/ It was one of the coolest memories I had. We also met the big wig of the Meadowlands, Jeff Gural who reserved a table in the area where all of the owners and trainers are. We also had lunch with him which was pretty cool.

Another time we did sort of the same thing was when we went to Mohawk and met Ken Middleton. I remember we had that race we were up there on PVR, but somehow got deleted. If I find the race, you can tell my brother and I are playing with the blinds and can here it a lot during the race

We have also had the pleasure of meeting some of my mom and dad friends. One of my dad's friends (Peter Davidson) is married to Brad Grants sister, Teressa. Her dad won the Pepsi North American Cup (who was Bettor's Delight, who is the sire of Tall Dark Stranger) and she has won lots of stakes races too. We also have been friends with Mark and Julie Austin, who have won a lot of stakes races and been our friends for a very long time. Also we know Paul and Don Lindsey. We have seen them race some good horses, but the best they have had would be Alexie Mattosie who has go onto win races like the OSS Sire Stakes, William R.Haughton Memorial and many other races.

As I got older, I started to learn more about the different bread which was thoroughbreds. I never really knew about it much and also didn't really know how to read the Daily Racing Form, which I still don't really know how to read some of the abbreviations on there, which I ask Check Mark on .

But for some reason, I can pick winners better in thoroughbred better than standardbred, even though I like standardbred better. My brother and I claim to fame was picking a $1500 trifecta at Grand River (still our biggest hit to this day), which started us to get onto the betting side of things. We were betting on the ABM way before the legal age of 18 (which we are now). We started doing it at 13-14 when no one was watching. There was a area at Mohawk in the back where only a few people hanged out and bet and since they were all self serve, no one noticed us. My dad and mom warned us a couple times betting as they thought that we would get into trouble.

Check Mark and I hit a winner one time and went to cash it. Our hearts were racing as we went up to the window. But since Check had so much facial hair, they just recognise him as a older person .

Also in the past couple years, I have been getting into the memorabilia side of horse racing. The first time was probably getting a whip from a driver when I was little. It later turned into getting 4 shoes of the great horse "Admirals Express". Later on I have gotten a whip from my brothers favourite driver Corey Callahan when he won the 2017 Battle of Waterloo (also photomatched).

Also last year I followed a really nice 2yo named "Tall Dark Stranger". I was there when he won the Metro Pace final. I told my brother I would go and get the whip from him. My heart was racing and after the race was over and Yannick Gingras was walking back I asked for his whip and he said "ya here ya go kid". I said thanks and held onto it. I had a novice race fan come up to me and ask about the whip. I told him it was from the race before and he asked me if he could have a look. I said sure and he let out a big crack in the whip, which I was almost ready to punch him in the head.

I was also there when he won the Breeders Crown Final. I had a media pass to attend the 2 day event and after the race I asked Gingras if I could please have his whip. He kind of startled and kind of looked at me for a sec. He than said "sure" and handed me the whip. I had one of my dad's friends make a really nice custom display where I can put the whips on.

Anyways, I have been a racing fan ever since I was a little kid and still enjoy it to this day.

Last edited by HHE10; 05-19-2020 at 02:27 PM.
HHE10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2020, 02:25 PM   #42
mike_123_ca

As a young teenager I would tag along with my father, uncle, grandfather and brother and meet up with a friend of theirs (trainer Norm Bowles) at the old Greenwood racetrack in east end Toronto (it was demolished in the 90's), Woodbine or Fort Erie tracks ... hooked for life and never looked back.
mike_123_ca is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2020, 03:38 PM   #43
porchy44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zydeco View Post
Went to Scioto Downs in spring of 1977 as a senior in high school with a friend. Went with 20.00 in my pocket...bet every race...had 4 Heinekens....and 2 hot dogs and left with 22.00!...Free beer??!! lol "I'm in!"
Coincidentally, I went to Scioto Downs in the Spring of 1977 as a Senior in High School. But my father had been taking me to the races for several years prior to then. Many trips to Beulah Park, Scioto Downs, Latonia (Turfway Park) Waterford (Mountaineer). Made my first bet at the windows at 15 (minimum betting age was 21 then). My Dad assured me then, "just so you have 2 dollars in you hand, they will take the bet".

I knew I was hooked when my father took me to a Cincinnati Reds baseball game as a teenager. On the way I told him I would rather go to Latonia (now Turfway). Seriously what teenager would rather go to the track instead of a Major League baseball game ?

Last edited by porchy44; 05-19-2020 at 03:50 PM.
porchy44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2020, 06:40 PM   #44
MJC922

My first memory of anything racetrack-wise was when my parents and I were visiting relatives in Canajoharie NY during August of '75, I was just 7 at the time. I remember the name Wajima being mentioned, a big roar of the Travers crowd and I couldn't see a thing.

My mom was the one who liked to bet the horses, my dad had little to no interest. Two years later they were divorced and that was really tough. Over the next ten years my mom and grandmother would go to Finger Lakes on weekends though, sometimes I'd tag along and try to make some money.

I wanted to be a jockey, took riding lessons for years, pretty clear I would end up being too tall. Nothing really clicked early on as far as handicapping went. In fact, I remember even being against the betting altogether at one point, for maybe a year I didn't even want to go out to the track anymore.

At first I was reading Ainslie but I was really too young to get my head around things. Eventually though things did start to sink in.

As for that one turning point with the handicapping, there was one, nothing sensational but I recall one day my mom took me out to Finger Lakes and I was reading the DRF on the way there, beautiful day. The first race was a mile and a quarter or maybe 3/16ths out of the chute, they didn't run many this far anymore but there was a horse from an inside post that was absolute lone speed in the race. I explained to my mom while she was driving, I was sure this horse would go right to the front and coast on the lead comfortably all the way around. The horse did exactly that and won at a decent price, I had a winning day.

I just remember how much sense it all made and from that point on I was obsessed with the game. From age 18 to 28 let's just say I didn't miss many days out there with the season pass. It was all about the books for me in those days, reading and re-reading everything I could get my hands on, skipping school and ending up sitting in the lower level of the Penfield town library reading Betting Thoroughbreds and Picking Winners. Bought my copy of Winning at the Races from Village Green Bookstore on Monroe Ave.

Last edited by MJC922; 05-19-2020 at 06:52 PM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2020, 08:43 PM   #45
Zydeco

Quote:
Originally Posted by porchy44 View Post
Coincidentally, I went to Scioto Downs in the Spring of 1977 as a Senior in High School. But my father had been taking me to the races for several years prior to then. Many trips to Beulah Park, Scioto Downs, Latonia (Turfway Park) Waterford (Mountaineer). Made my first bet at the windows at 15 (minimum betting age was 21 then). My Dad assured me then, "just so you have 2 dollars in you hand, they will take the bet".

I knew I was hooked when my father took me to a Cincinnati Reds baseball game as a teenager. On the way I told him I would rather go to Latonia (now Turfway). Seriously what teenager would rather go to the track instead of a Major League baseball game ?
Did you see Just Ralph there?? He was from the west side of Columbus. Saw Pete Rose there many times and Art Schlitcher too,, before he was drafted by the Colts! He always had inside info!!
Zydeco is offline   Reply With Quote Reply