Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-14-2021, 02:01 PM   #16
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wrona View Post
While appreciating the compliment, I feel compelled to correct your statement. I left Hollywood Park in 2000 of my own volition, and many of my job losses have been circumstantial, e.g. tracks closing. Some were “political,” the result of ownership or management changes, but I could provide sterling references from all past employers.
While Michael won't say it I will. He got completely hosed at Santa Anita. And in my informed opinion it was in part due to a Trainer who's currently in the news for nothing good.

Michael is an outstanding announcer and a good guy.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2021, 02:03 PM   #17
dilanesp

Quote:
While appreciating the compliment, I feel compelled to correct your statement. I left Hollywood Park in 2000 of my own volition, and many of my job losses have been circumstantial, e.g. tracks closing. Some were “political,” the result of ownership or management changes, but I could provide sterling references from all past employers.
My apologies. Yes, the second time you left Hollywood Park it was to take the job at Lone Star.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2021, 12:39 PM   #18
FRMNBRI

All i know is one thing, Los Al is great to watch bc of Michael. The problem is 1000 yards is too short to here all his great calls. I always wanted to join him in the booth at Santa Anita and watch him call a race. I was celebrating my first year of sobriety and it was my bday. My gf and my two close family friends took me to the track to celebrate and we stayed in the frontrunners for the day. My friend who is quite wealthy approached SA management to see if they could arrange it and they got shut down. I watch old replays of Michael all day long on YouTube calling races. Some of the best race calls ever. "Its four lanterns followed by one great dazzling chandelier"
FRMNBRI is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2021, 12:48 PM   #19
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRMNBRI View Post
All i know is one thing, Los Al is great to watch bc of Michael. The problem is 1000 yards is too short to here all his great calls. I always wanted to join him in the booth at Santa Anita and watch him call a race. I was celebrating my first year of sobriety and it was my bday. My gf and my two close family friends took me to the track to celebrate and we stayed in the frontrunners for the day. My friend who is quite wealthy approached SA management to see if they could arrange it and they got shut down. I watch old replays of Michael all day long on YouTube calling races. Some of the best race calls ever. "Its four lanterns followed by one great dazzling chandelier"
I think he does part of Kentucky Downs once a year, so you can still hear him call those long turf races he's so good at.
Old 06-15-2021, 12:50 PM   #20
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
Trevor was the greatest at one time, many many years ago. He makes too many mistakes during race calls and doubt the layoff will help.
No doubt, incredible announcer in his day.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2021, 01:19 PM   #21
FRMNBRI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I think he does part of Kentucky Downs once a year, so you can still hear him call those long turf races he's so good at.
Thank you for reminding me. I totally forgot about Kentucky Downs. Thats the shortest 2 weeks of racing but the longest for me. LOL Such a tough track to handicap with that elongated turf style course. But yes Wrona does such a great job. If i remember correctly he switches with another announcer throughout the meet?
Old 06-15-2021, 06:05 PM   #22
Michael Wrona

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Slow down on the one post every 7 years…….you’re going to burn up the server
I do better with my races spaced!
Michael Wrona is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2021, 06:23 PM   #23
Michael Wrona

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRMNBRI View Post
I am truly sorry you met with such resistance. If you ever visit Los Alamitos, you are welcome to watch a race from the booth. You can contact me by email: mwrona@losalamitos.com
Old 06-15-2021, 06:27 PM   #24
Michael Wrona

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Unfortunately, I won’t be returning to Kentucky Downs this year.
Old 06-15-2021, 09:41 PM   #25
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Quote:
I am truly sorry you met with such resistance. If you ever visit Los Alamitos, you are welcome to watch a race from the booth. You can contact me by email: mwrona@losalamitos.com
Class act That’s very kind of you to do that for the gentleman.
Personally I’d like to bet on Los Al and listen to your terrific calls once again, but I’m asleep before first post. Reporting times to work at 4 AM will do that.
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2021, 12:37 AM   #26
FRMNBRI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman179 View Post
Class act That’s very kind of you to do that for the gentleman.
Personally I’d like to bet on Los Al and listen to your terrific calls once again, but I’m asleep before first post. Reporting times to work at 4 AM will do that.
Yes he most certainly is and I will reach out to him. Hats off to a 4 am work call. I do 5:45 am and I curse a few times when the alarm goes off.
Old 06-16-2021, 06:40 PM   #27
Psychotic Parakeet
Sartin Methodology Fan

Are you going to be calling the races at Santa Rosa this summer, Michael?
Old 06-20-2021, 08:49 PM   #28
horsefan2019

I grew up listening to Trevor's race calls here in the socal circuit....
He's at the age where he doesn't have to do it anymore so every meet could be his last.

Last edited by horsefan2019; 06-20-2021 at 08:51 PM.
horsefan2019 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2021, 05:31 PM   #29
delayjf

Quote:
I wish Michael Wrona would get a chance at Del Mar. I have to say he is one of my favorites. I miss him at Santa Anita. He always tosses in a good mix in his race calls. Im not sure why he didn't get re signed at SA. SET RACING!!!
Totally agree, with his accent, I always saw him as the heir apparent to Denman.

The guy can be hilarious while calling a race as well. I recall one race where 1 horse had a ridiculously long name to pronounce who broke on top of the field, forcing Wrona to have to repeat the horse's name over and over. During the call, Wrona was able to work in something like "just my luck this one would break on top"
You had to be there, but I found it funny as hell - I don't think I've ever laughed like that during the calling of the race,
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2021, 06:15 PM   #30
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by delayjf View Post
Totally agree, with his accent, I always saw him as the heir apparent to Denman.

The guy can be hilarious while calling a race as well. I recall one race where 1 horse had a ridiculously long name to pronounce who broke on top of the field, forcing Wrona to have to repeat the horse's name over and over. During the call, Wrona was able to work in something like "just my luck this one would break on top"
You had to be there, but I found it funny as hell - I don't think I've ever laughed like that during the calling of the race,
Wrona had a lot of fun with "You're a Nation" a few years ago.