Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Selections

Old 06-25-2016, 10:51 AM   #1
Teach

Belmont: Sat., June 25

Race One:

Best Play is my choice in this claiming route. This 6 year-old Speightstown-bred bay gelding is the plodding type who might just wear down the field in this 9-panel race. This gelding does have the services of Manny Franco who is fourth in the jockey standings. Franco is a solid rater of horses when it comes to route races. The gelding’s trainer, Bruce Brown, has been more productive, lately. One major factor in this gelding’s favor is that he now drops to a level in which he can most definitely compete; his most recent races have been against better company. At the end of last year this horse reeled off two straight wins and garnered a second-place finish against this very same kind. Look for him to be coming on in the stretch. One note of caution: I would have liked to have seen a published work since this gelding’s last race almost three weeks ago. Others: , ,

Race Two:

In this 7-panels state-bred allowance on the lawn, I’m leaning in the direction of the Tapa Liath. This 3 year-old El Prado-bred grey filly is turning back from a route to a sprint. That should enhance this filly’s chances as she was nailed late in her last in the aforementioned route. “El Dominicano de Santo Domingo de Guzman,” Joel Rosario, is in the irons for trainer Carlos Martin. It should be mentioned that the most capable Martin is not exactly having a stellar meet; yet he’s certainly capable of conditioning this filly for a trip to the winner’s circle. I should also cite that this filly zipped four panels in :48 and two ticks, breezing, about a week ago. Others: , ,

Race Three:

In this 6-panel MSW for New York state-bred colts and geldings, I’m leaning toward Brooklyn Major. Coming into today’s race, this 3 year-old Girolamo-bred colt has had seven failed tries at breaking his maiden. Will his eighth get the job done? I believe he has a good chance. Why? For one, the colt’s conditioner, Charley Baker, is a solid trainer – he’s been red-hot. Baker does well in most racing categories. The colt’s regular rider, Manny Franco, reprises the ride. In addition, this colt recently breezed four panels in an impressive :48.2. This colt should be right there if he can avoid “traffic” problems (he was lightly bumped at the break in his last). Others: , ,

Race Four:

Kasseopia is my pick in this 80k OC turf route. This GB-bred chestnut colt was last seen finishing off the board in the Grade III Spiral at Turfway Park. This Showcasing-bred 3 year-old is taking a significant class drop; he should find this field much more to his liking. The most capable Graham Motion conditions this Dream Again-bred. The colt is making his first foray on the fescue since finishing off the board at Doncaster (UK) almost a year ago. Yet, this colt has a solid turf pedigree; he should handle the lawn quite well. Joel Rosario is in the irons. One note of caution, this colt has been on the shelf for a while; yet trainer Motion does well with horses in that category. Others: , .

Race Five:

Howie’s Tiz stretches out an additional panel in this claiming race, n2L. This gelding was a game second in his last. This Bruce Levine trainee was a highly-priced yearling many moons ago, but, alas and alack, he has failed to live up to his billing. Yet, this Tiznow-bred gelding definitely fits in this company. The horse’s trainer, Bruce Levine, does very well when conditioning horses that go sprint-sprint-route. “Double A,” Senor Angel Arroyo, is in the irons. Arroyo has picked up the pace in recent weeks. A note of caution: this horse has only the one win in thirteen tries; the gelding has never hit the tote in a route. Others: , ,

Race Six:

Stormin Stephen is my choice in this New York state-bred maiden-claiming turf sprint. First, a personal bias. Monsieur Christophe Clement is one of my favorite conditioners when it comes to turf races. Trainer Clement does very well in most racing categories. For the first time, this Malibu Moon-bred gelding is dropping into the “selling ranks”. The gelding should fair quite well in this category. In addition, this is this horse’s third start off a layoff; in my opinion, a very important racing category. Further, this gelding should benefit from a starting post that is further off the rail. Finally, the most capable Manny Franco is in the irons. Others: , , .

Race Seven:

In this allowance turf route, I’m picking Captain Moss. Before I begin my explanations, I should mention that the outside posts on The Inner can be tricky. Jockey Manny Franco must break alertly with this Quality Road-bred colt. All that being said, this Chris Englehart trainee recently drilled four panels in 48-flat. In addition, the colt has hit the tote in all five of his most recent starts. Yet, one note of caution: Although trainer Chris Englehart does well with horses entered in route races; he has less than a stellar record with horses entered in races that are run on the grass. Others: , .

Race Eight:

In this allowance route n1x, my pick: Lost Iron. First the colt’s jockey, Junior Alvarado, is starting to find his mojo. Second, the horse’s trainer, the Hall of Famer, Bill Mott, is a solid conditioner. Third, in his last race, this colt was over-ambitiously entered in the Grade II Peter Pan. As the DRF stated, this colt made “no impact” in that one. Yet now he’s in with the kind he can handle. Further, he’s had a recent sharp work. This A.P. Indy-bred should be making a significant stretch drive that could very well lead to picture-taking in the winner’s circle. Others: , , .

Race Nine:

In the feature, the Grade III Bed o’ Roses to be contested over the distance of seven panels for a purse of $150,000, my pick is Wavell Avenue. This lightly-raced 5 year-old Harlington-bred mare should find this Grade III field more to her liking after three-straight Grade I appearances. Joel Rosario reprises the ride for the meet’s win leader, trainer Chad Brown. Others: , , .

Race Ten:

In the finale, a maiden claiming 7-furlong turf race, my pick is Southern Union. Yes, this Roman Ruler-bred gelding has only hit the tote once, a second, in seven tries; yet, that one time was on the lawn in her last race. This gelding is meeting similar company. Any slight improvement should put this gelding in the winner’s circle. Jose Ortiz is in the irons for trainer Bruce Brown. A recent solid four-panel work signals readiness. Others: , , .

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply