Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:43 PM   #1
NY BRED
GARY

THIS IS UNBEEEEEEEEEEELIEVABLE

as Trevor stated watching Zenyatta storm down the stretch, I just
watched one of my best daily double wheels go down in flames
as the tractor that moves the gate at AQU break down,
with no replacement unit!!

I guess when the parking and admission fees are raised NYRA
will be able to afford a replacement/used unit.
:

NY BRED is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2014, 04:47 PM   #2
wiffleball whizz
Dead money

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY BRED
as Trevor stated watching Zenyatta storm down the stretch, I just
watched one of my best daily double wheels go down in flames
as the tractor that moves the gate at AQU break down,
with no replacement unit!!

I guess when the parking and admission fees are raised NYRA
will be able to afford a replacement/used unit.
:

Aqueduct and nyra should be embarrassed
Old 01-05-2014, 04:51 PM   #3
Shemp Howard
Refugee from Bowie

Di Blasio had the gas tank drained and the fuel given to an illegal alien.
Shemp Howard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2014, 04:53 PM   #4
rgustafson

They didn't even have to move the gate. All they had to do was get the thing off the track. Should have called every employee they had available and pushed the thing off
rgustafson is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2014, 04:53 PM   #5
davew

It wasn't the tractor hooked up to the gate.
I am not sure why they couldn't pull it off with a pick-up, unless the axle was busted/brakes locked some other reason that moving it would be very bad for tractor.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2014, 05:02 PM   #6
Racetrack Playa
regular user

Really

wow Thats cool

I think nothing of this . My truck breaks down sometimes, I usually walk home and forget about it. You know ,get some dinner, I was hoping, the
0r
would win the 9th, But that is horse racing ,come on guys give 'em a break. They all are winners.I actually find this very believable, it was getting late.

Last edited by Racetrack Playa; 01-05-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Racetrack Playa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2014, 05:05 PM   #7
tanner12oz

But the pick 6 pays out and carries...wtf
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2014, 05:09 PM   #8
duncan04
Let's go Reds!!

State law prevents races from being run after sunset, which today was 4:43pm, per @DRFGrening on twitter
Old 01-05-2014, 05:50 PM   #9
Teach

On a scale of life this is not the end of the world. These things do happen, sometimes most unexpectedly, plus you were running up against diminishing daylight on one of the shorter days of the year.

Yet, having said all that, allow me to offer some thoughts:

1) This is New York, baby! Not some second-tier, East Podunk, out in "the sticks" fair or bull-ring track. NYRA is one of the top racing management operations in the country.

2) Is there a Plan B? As a former teacher, we always had contingency plans. Let's say we were showing a film or film-strip; well, the bulb burns out. For one, we usually had a spare in our desks, or we had what was called "Plan B". We often had a quick lesson that we had prepared for situations like this that would keep students occupied, either until we got another bulb, or got another projector. I realize that school-teaching and operating heavy machinery at a racetrack may be perceived as "apples and oranges," but...

3) Is there a maintenance protocol that could have been put in place that addresses this problem?

4) I saw the distressed tractor and maintenance personnel working on it. As I suggested on "The Selections" forum, could the tractor have been moved? I saw exhaust fumes coming from the tail pipe. Unless an axle was broken, is there any reason that the tractor could have been put in neutral and moved by another piece of heavy equipment. I admit it is hard to be judgmental here because I do not know the exact problem the tractor was faced with. One final point: my son used to work for a heavy equipment and excavating company; he would tell me that maintenance crews would double-check the vehicles before they left the yard.

5) Finally, this has nothing to do with the tractor; yet, I'm curious as to what the protocol is with regard to payouts? Is this the way that matters like this are handled? Is this a make-up-the-rules-as-you-go-along decision (I would hope not), or is this approach mandated by the New York State racing commission? As I understand it, the folks who held "five out of five" tickets going into the 9th race, final leg of the Pick 6, would split 3/4ths of the money wagered in today's, 1/5/14 Pick-6 pool. If you had four out five going into the final leg, you split 1/4 of the pool. As I understand it, the money that had carried over to todays pool will remain intact and will be carried over to the next racing day's Pick-6.

Any thoughts?

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2014, 05:55 PM   #10
lamboguy

i thought that this was handled perfectly. they absolutely got the pick 6 right. a pick six carryover only pays out to 6 winners. there must have been some unhappy people, but it was 100% the right call.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2014, 06:16 PM   #11
wiffleball whizz
Dead money

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan04
State law prevents races from being run after sunset, which today was 4:43pm, per @DRFGrening on twitter

I've seen races run at tracks with no lights that started in almost complete darkness

Maryland millions day the last race went off is darkness u couldn't see the top of the lane turning for home

These state laws gotta losen up a little bit.........no racing on Good Friday is the comedy show when the slots are in full swing 75 feet away
Old 01-05-2014, 06:42 PM   #12
Fingal

I hear there may be a couple tractors coming available at the upcoming auction of the former Hollywood Park equipment.

If NYRA plays it's cards right & doesn't get in a bidding war they may come away with a sweetheart deal.
Fingal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2014, 06:54 PM   #13
Exotic1

Trainer change to Jacobson. Tractor will be running great after that.
Exotic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2014, 08:03 PM   #14
jldonah

Tractor race

I saw the initial tweets about the delay. I should have changed the feed, because I might have learned something useful.

I am guessing they decided to work on it instead of pull it off. If it were a betting proposition, I'm sure I would have gone that way too, because lately, the horses zig when I think they'll zag, so why should a broke-down tractor in a walkover be different?
jldonah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2014, 08:37 PM   #15
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach

5) Finally, this has nothing to do with the tractor; yet, I'm curious as to what the protocol is with regard to payouts? Is this the way that matters like this are handled? Is this a make-up-the-rules-as-you-go-along decision (I would hope not), or is this approach mandated by the New York State racing commission? As I understand it, the folks who held "five out of five" tickets going into the 9th race, final leg of the Pick 6, would split 3/4ths of the money wagered in today's, 1/5/14 Pick-6 pool. If you had four out five going into the final leg, you split 1/4 of the pool. As I understand it, the money that had carried over to todays pool will remain intact and will be carried over to the next racing day's Pick-6.

Any thoughts?
State law mandates that carryovers can only be paid out on multi race bets if all races run. Thus they paid out everything wagered today but had to carry the amount that carried over into today. So some 90K was paid out, 75% to 6 of 6, 25% to 5 of 6 as normal. They just couldn't pay the 25K that carried from yesterday. The rules are pretty thorough on payouts and there is no make it up as you go here. More info about what happened to the tractor is here

http://www.drf.com/news/aqueduct-rac...or-breaks-down
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply