Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 05-13-2020, 05:23 PM   #4846
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
Pot calling the kettle black! As has been pointed out before argumentum ad nauseam is your speciality. sic
Take 3 aspirin and stay in bed for three years, and pull the covers over your head. Perhaps you'll be able to create your own little happy safe space from which you'll never want to leave, if we're lucky.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:48 PM   #4847
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
That's a rather moronic question, isn't it?
Not at all.

Do you accept the detection of something by instrumentation as seeing?
Old 05-13-2020, 06:53 PM   #4848
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Take 3 aspirin and stay in bed for three years, and pull the covers over your head. Perhaps you'll be able to create your own little happy safe space from which you'll never want to leave, if we're lucky.
Graduate from high school, go to college for four years, then go to graduate school for another four years. Work you ass off and make good grades. Learn to think critically.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:58 PM   #4849
boxcar

Quote:
Graduate from high school, go to college for four years, then go to graduate school for another four years. Work you ass off and make good grades. Learn to think critically.
I probably have made more money bucking this kind of worldly conventional wisdom -- and without any doubt at all have been much happier doing it my way. The perfect perfecta, if you will...
Old 05-13-2020, 07:04 PM   #4850
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light View Post
We all have hearts and souls which our body encapsulates. There is a universal connection between hearts and souls. So if someone is drowning (for example), there is a connection within our hearts that there is no difference between the drowning person and ourselves and we feel a compulsion to save that person or stick up for that person.

However if there is ego involved, such as ""he's a bum, let him drown" the compulsion or need to "stick up" for someone is overridden because the heart and soul are suppressed by the ego.
How cool is that? Jesus stuck up for (saved) me!
Old 05-13-2020, 07:10 PM   #4851
boxcar

Quote:
Not at all.

Do you accept the detection of something by instrumentation as seeing?
To detect (discover) something is not the same as seeing something.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:46 PM   #4852
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
I probably have made more money ...
Are you planning on taking it with you?

Quote:
... and without any doubt at all have been much happier doing it my way.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:58 PM   #4853
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
To detect (discover) something is not the same as seeing something.
And your point?
Old 05-13-2020, 10:14 PM   #4854
TJDave

Good news!
3000 California churches have signed a pledge to hold services in defiance of Gov Newsom’s order.
Old 05-14-2020, 02:33 AM   #4855
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light View Post
I'm not sticking up for Box,but you can't prove God does NOT exist either.
With all respect, sir, neither can I prove that Sony Bono's ghost doesn't hide behind the coca cola display at our local grocery store, waiting patiently to reveal itself should Cher pop in. And occasionally enjoying the pause that refreshes.

It just seems (a bit) implausible.

Last edited by mountainman; 05-14-2020 at 02:42 AM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2020, 06:10 AM   #4856
hcap

Quote:
No, it is NOT in the context of "'real self'", you deceiver. It is the context of prophecy concerning the end of the Jewish age.

.....The passage has absolutely nothing to do with the "real self". It's a prophecy of the Diaspora that was fulfilled in 70 A.D., which indeed was within Jesus' generation, i.e. within 40 years of his contemporaries.
The intention of the original writers of the "Passion of Christ", was for their readers and listeners to detect hidden not so obvious messages. Hidden as in hidden by their readers own unawareness of the subtle events going on within. Except for some who did have the "the eyes to see, ears to hear", not totally buried by the rigors of life. An inner tuning fork that resonates with symbolic language and allegories those writers set forth..

Many scriptures throughout the world's religions use allegorical stories of imagined and semi-real EXTERNAL historical events, as clues to the INTERNAL psycho-spiritual passion going on a regular basis and ongoing unfolding "drama" within.

Unfortunately, the literal minded interpreters and transcribers over many hundreds of iterations of each succeeding "religious" generation, confuse the "schematic" or "map", set forth by the original writers as a possible path to that hidden territory within, with that actual TERRITORY itself

I have studied the esoteric meanings of various scriptures for quite a while. Spent Ten years in a Gurdjieff, Ouspenky group, which is now connected to HIS HOLINESS the Shankaracharya of Northern India. A "Realized Man" Who filled in some of the blanks sketched out by one of Gurdjieff's pupils, Maurice Nicoll. His books, "The Mark", and "New Man" and extensive "Psychological Commentaries on the Teaching of Gurdjieff and Ouspensky "(6 Volumes) point to these inner metaphors. Way too much to take in, maybe in one lifetime. Getting glimpses though and still am in touch with people in that group.

The Passion of Christ is the story of Jesus Christ's arrest, trial and suffering. It ends with his execution by crucifixion. It is a metaphor itself. Albeit distorted. And when Jesus speaks of.......

Watch ye therefore: for ye know not when the master of the house cometh, at even, or at midnight, or at the cockcrowing, or in the morning:

The surrounding "context" should be not taken literally. However the key words DESCRIBING "watch" "master" and "house" point to concepts that are way more important than misinterpreting "the end of the Jewish age" literally. Although there is something beneath that misinterpretation as well.

The key word "watch" is crucial. As I said, self-observation a practice of time immemorial, highlighted by the Gurdjieff work, is a central theme. The Ancient Greek aphorism "know thyself" is another expression of this. And vital in uncovering the "REAL SELF"

Now, I can not "prove" my allegorical understanding, just as you can't prove your literal one. But once one sees the LARGER CONTEXT of most scriptures as metaphors for the struggle and drama within, rather than non-historical fictional events, things make a little more sense

Last edited by hcap; 05-14-2020 at 06:22 AM.
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2020, 09:08 AM   #4857
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
The intention of the original writers of the "Passion of Christ", was for their readers and listeners to detect hidden not so obvious messages. Hidden as in hidden by their readers own unawareness of the subtle events going on within. Except for some who did have the "the eyes to see, ears to hear", not totally buried by the rigors of life. An inner tuning fork that resonates with symbolic language and allegories those writers set forth..

Many scriptures throughout the world's religions use allegorical stories of imagined and semi-real EXTERNAL historical events, as clues to the INTERNAL psycho-spiritual passion going on a regular basis and ongoing unfolding "drama" within.

Unfortunately, the literal minded interpreters and transcribers over many hundreds of iterations of each succeeding "religious" generation, confuse the "schematic" or "map", set forth by the original writers as a possible path to that hidden territory within, with that actual TERRITORY itself

I have studied the esoteric meanings of various scriptures for quite a while. Spent Ten years in a Gurdjieff, Ouspenky group, which is now connected to HIS HOLINESS the Shankaracharya of Northern India. A "Realized Man" Who filled in some of the blanks sketched out by one of Gurdjieff's pupils, Maurice Nicoll. His books, "The Mark", and "New Man" and extensive "Psychological Commentaries on the Teaching of Gurdjieff and Ouspensky "(6 Volumes) point to these inner metaphors. Way too much to take in, maybe in one lifetime. Getting glimpses though and still am in touch with people in that group.

The Passion of Christ is the story of Jesus Christ's arrest, trial and suffering. It ends with his execution by crucifixion. It is a metaphor itself. Albeit distorted. And when Jesus speaks of.......

Watch ye therefore: for ye know not when the master of the house cometh, at even, or at midnight, or at the cockcrowing, or in the morning:

The surrounding "context" should be not taken literally. However the key words DESCRIBING "watch" "master" and "house" point to concepts that are way more important than misinterpreting "the end of the Jewish age" literally. Although there is something beneath that misinterpretation as well.

The key word "watch" is crucial. As I said, self-observation a practice of time immemorial, highlighted by the Gurdjieff work, is a central theme. The Ancient Greek aphorism "know thyself" is another expression of this. And vital in uncovering the "REAL SELF"

Now, I can not "prove" my allegorical understanding, just as you can't prove your literal one. But once one sees the LARGER CONTEXT of most scriptures as metaphors for the struggle and drama within, rather than non-historical fictional events, things make a little more sense
Yeah, I can prove my interpretation. Jesus' prophecy was fulfilled in 70 A.D.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:25 AM   #4858
hcap

Quote:
Yeah, I can prove my interpretation. Jesus' prophecy was fulfilled in 70 A.D.
No I can't and you can't "prove" other interpretations.

I am suggesting a larger context going well past the literal.

Do you think Hamlet is only about a Prince of Denmark? Shakespeare ma not have written literally about the divine or witnessed the miraculous, but some think he wrote divinely. Why?

Perhaps depth, multilevel significance just like anything of value in life, things are rarely on one surface level only.

Do you prefer Rap to Bach? Although to be fair, I have heard some interesting rhythmic studio productions in the few seconds I have bothered with Rap.

Last edited by hcap; 05-14-2020 at 09:31 AM.
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2020, 09:27 AM   #4859
boxcar

Quote:
And your point?
Are you moving the goal posts again? Is gravity visible to the eye? Is gravity matter than can be seen?
Old 05-14-2020, 09:33 AM   #4860
hcap

Quote:
Are you moving the goal posts again? Is gravity visible to the eye? Is gravity matter than can be seen?
Avoid science at all costs.