Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 03-11-2020, 10:07 PM   #1
Muddy
Muddy

Nba Suspends season

The NBA is suspending the 2019-20 season. The announcement came after a player for the Utah Jazz tested positive for the coronavirus.

The league announced the decision, which will go into effect after Wednesday night’s games, following a bizarre scene in Oklahoma City, where a game between the Thunder and the Utah Jazz was delayed seconds before tipoff and canceled 35 minutes later.

“The NBA announced that a player on the Utah Jazz has preliminarily tested positive for COVID-19. The test result was reported shortly prior to the tip-off of tonight’s game between the Jazz and Oklahoma City Thunder at Chesapeake Energy Arena. At that time, tonight’s game was canceled. The affected player was not in the arena,” the league said in a statement. “The NBA is suspending game play following the conclusion of tonight’s schedule of games until further notice. The NBA will use this hiatus to determine next steps for moving forward in regard to the coronavirus pandemic.”
Muddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2020, 10:25 PM   #2
Ocala Mike

All-Star Rudy Gobert. This virus thing is going to be a watershed event for our society, I'm afraid.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2020, 10:35 PM   #3
thaskalos

Tonight's Pelicans-Kings game also canceled. The NBA season is over.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:37 PM   #4
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

They should probably just cancel the world at this point and get the ridiculousness over with already.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:39 PM   #5
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Martial Law....any day now.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2020, 10:44 PM   #6
Ocala Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
They should probably just cancel the world at this point and get the ridiculousness over with already.
Reminds me of that old Broadway show, "Stop the World, I Want to Get Off."
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2020, 11:30 PM   #7
Augenj
Top Horse Analytics

Black Swan?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_swan_theory
Augenj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2020, 12:02 AM   #8
Valuist

Maybe the deniers will finally realize this is a major problem.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2020, 12:06 AM   #9
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
Maybe the deniers will finally realize this is a major problem.
'cept it isn't...if you get rid of the wild and highly manufactured hysteria.

I just looked and read the latest from doctors on vaunted CNN....nothing new was presented to me...no shocking new discoveries about this virus....nada...

Yup, people ARE dying. You got me there...I thought everyone just lived forever....

This is still the dumbest shit I have ever seen in my entire life.

And believe me...I've seen some dumb shit.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:12 AM   #10
thaskalos

Quote:

I just looked and read the latest from doctors on vaunted CNN....nothing new was presented to me...no shocking new discoveries about this virus....nada...

Yup, people ARE dying. You got me there...I thought everyone just lived forever....

Nice!!
Old 03-12-2020, 01:42 AM   #11
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Nice!!
Seriously.

You're an intelligent man, I think. I mean, I don't really KNOW you, but from reading you here and talking with you a few times over the phone, you seem like a reasonable, level-headed guy.

Let me ask you.

You think the response to this virus, from the markets crashing, to shutting down schools, racetracks, the NBA, and whatever else I'm forgetting...you think that's all a reasonable response to this virus as it stands right now?

really?

You think it's reasonable to potentially disrupt everyday life for people in this country for a substantial length of time over this? To cost people their jobs as businesses try and deal with the all the money being lost over this thing?

The way we are going right now, a lot of people are going to get slammed, not by the virus, but by the after-effects of the hysteria...remember 2008 and all the people who were set to retire on their 401ks...and suddenly their 401ks were worth a helluva lot less than they were counting on...well we're heading that way again...over this...is it worth it? Is the threat really that dire?

Not saying there isn't a threat at all. Not saying this thing doesn't get people sick and kill people...it does. But it's certainly not the first and it certainly isn't the worst...

Do you know the number of people who have probably had this virus and never knew about it because they never got sick enough to be hospitalized and tested? How much does that skew the mortality rate? Probably by 50% or more I would gather.

Is all the fallout still worth it?
Old 03-12-2020, 01:42 AM   #12
JerryBoyle
Veteran

Quote:

People are certainly overreacting. It's not going to end the world. However, slowing the spread WILL make a massive difference in the number of deaths. It could mean the difference between deaths in the thousands vs deaths in the millions to tens of millions. Taking common sense precautions for the next 4-8 weeks like washing hands, avoiding large crowds, limiting travel, etc will make a meaningful impact. You don't need to go out and buy 50 rolls of toilet paper, but it should be taken seriously. I guess given human nature, it's hard to ask for the latter without getting the former.
JerryBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2020, 02:31 AM   #13
thaskalos

Quote:
Seriously.

You're an intelligent man, I think. I mean, I don't really KNOW you, but from reading you here and talking with you a few times over the phone, you seem like a reasonable, level-headed guy.

Let me ask you.

You think the response to this virus, from the markets crashing, to shutting down schools, racetracks, the NBA, and whatever else I'm forgetting...you think that's all a reasonable response to this virus as it stands right now?

really?

You think it's reasonable to potentially disrupt everyday life for people in this country for a substantial length of time over this? To cost people their jobs as businesses try and deal with the all the money being lost over this thing?

The way we are going right now, a lot of people are going to get slammed, not by the virus, but by the after-effects of the hysteria...remember 2008 and all the people who were set to retire on their 401ks...and suddenly their 401ks were worth a helluva lot less than they were counting on...well we're heading that way again...over this...is it worth it? Is the threat really that dire?

Not saying there isn't a threat at all. Not saying this thing doesn't get people sick and kill people...it does. But it's certainly not the first and it certainly isn't the worst...

Do you know the number of people who have probably had this virus and never knew about it because they never got sick enough to be hospitalized and tested? How much does that skew the mortality rate? Probably by 50% or more I would gather.

Is all the fallout still worth it?
There is a certain vulgarity displayed in some of your posts lately that is difficult for me to understand. Even when we discuss this virus, you exhibit the sort of aggravation that makes it seem as if you are taking the people's "hysteria" as a personal affront. SO WHAT if people "overreact" in their response to this pandemic virus? Don't people have the right to react to apparent danger in whichever way they see fit? What do you hope to accomplish by mockingly comparing this virus to the flu...or by trivializing the virus's death rate? What proof do you have to support your assertion that the "panicking public" is influenced solely by the TV?

Speaking for myself...I am going about my business without any undue "hysteria". But I don't know what anybody else's life circumstance is...and I don't presume to know what is best for anybody but me. If people want to "overreact"...then that's okay by me. An ounce of prevention equals a pound of cure. Why should I mock or disparage the overreacting public...especially when I know that there is nothing that I can do in order to pacify the anxiety that this virus is causing out there? The stock market will do whatever it's meant to do...and the same can be said about the NBA and the economy at large. Air travel has halted in this country...the NBA is shut down...the schools are closing...and Amazon is running out of household products. And, whether or not I consider this to be a "reasonable reaction" doesn't make a bit of difference. All I can do is make my own rules about my OWN behavior.

You've reminded us enough times that you are the "King" here...and, as the "King", you can run this site however you want. It's just that you seem a bit unhinged lately...and I thought I'd point that out to you, in case you hadn't noticed. But, if this style works for you...then please continue with my blessings.

Last edited by thaskalos; 03-12-2020 at 02:36 AM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2020, 09:48 AM   #14
RunForTheRoses

Quote:

The panic based disruption of commerce may very well end up being the worst part.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2020, 11:47 AM   #15
Robert Fischer
clean money

Unfortunately, the manufactured part is actually in downplaying the issue, rather than in hype/hysteria.

No offense, but this board is a little bit on the side of ignorance and denial.

This is a relatively serious pandemic.

As of today, we have tens of thousands of Americans with the virus. Yet, mostly because of limited resources, but also because of the need to quell panic, we have so far broadcast a total of 1,323 cases.

The amount of tests that we perform is very low. The percentage of positives divided by total tests is rather high. This is because of strict testing standards. Only those who have been to China (or now perhaps Eur/Italy), and/or those over 60 with significant symptoms, and/or those with ICU-level pneumonia are being approved to receive a test.

That is not criticism of the process. The United States is doing a great job with this.

This is not the black plague, but it is not the flu. This has nothing to do with polarized politics. This is not a media invention. Although the media is a cross between a hyena and a piranha, the MSM (ABC, NBC , CBS, FOX, CNN, MSNBC, WSJ, etc...) has NOT been exaggerating in this case, but has been presenting the narrative that the total number of cases is low, that the "threat to the average american is very low", that we do not need to be wearing masks, that washing hands will help prevent this (and now beginning to stress the need to keep 6feet in between people, and avoided crowded public gatherings)... The media has presented us with narrative best designed to quell panic, and promote our best outcome.