Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.20 average.
Old 12-23-2023, 07:44 AM   #2281
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
'Perspective' is valuable.

I'm not sure whether I think interviewing should even be part of the process.
Traditional routine. It portrays a sense of integrity. It encourages 'intent' to be wrongly considered....

Film review is tough. Doing it on the clock is sightly harder.

Has nothing to do with the major problems here.

That seems a little harsh. Vic was arguably in the top 500(perhaps even better) Stewards Of All Time in terms of watching film.

The significant problem is a low quality of the stewards, .

These guys stink, and the hiring process and evaluation process stinks.
The known 'job requirements' Stink.

They don't know the job. Some parts are done well, some parts have a supeficial knowledge.

Stewards are currently expected to know the rules, handle routine situations, know when to apply the rulebook vs when to use common sense.

They aren't even required to be highly-skilled race watchers!

Stewards superficial understanding of race watching harms the game.
High quality Racing Product, and then once in a while it is marred by having almost a game-show like seriousness,

OK A LAYMAN WILL NOW SELECT NUMBERS AND YOU COULD WIN $50,000!!!
*SPIN THE WHEEL!*

Significant outcomes in the results of the races for the horses, connections, horseplayers, fans...
Thanks Robert. Appreciate the nice words.

Actually Stewards are required to be excellent, trained race watchers. They train on it at accreditation schools, take CE's and attend meetings to go over interesting films at least twice a year.

Of course some are better than others. But I've NEVER worked with a Steward that was terrible & clueless. Well actually one but it's a rarity. She would just wait until me and the other guy would watch the movie and vote whichever way we would. If we disagreed she'd go with whomever convinced her.

That's very rare.

We also learn from each other.

Best film watcher I ever worked with was in Ca. Hall of Famer jockey Darrell McHargue. I learned a ton from him. Lot's of others I've worked with either as announcer or fellow steward that were terrific. Walter Blum, Jeff Noe, Charlie Camac, Pete Pederson, Hubert Jones, Scott Chaney, Kim Sawyer, Grant Baker, Will Meyers, John Herbevaux, Dave Samuels, Albert Christianson, Kenny Church, Stan Bowker, Jorge Estrada, Jeff Williams, Tom Ward and many others.

Last edited by v j stauffer; 12-23-2023 at 07:46 AM.
v j stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2023, 04:08 PM   #2282
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Thanks Robert. Appreciate the nice words.

Actually Stewards are required to be excellent, trained race watchers. They train on it at accreditation schools, take CE's and attend meetings to go over interesting films at least twice a year.

Of course some are better than others. But I've NEVER worked with a Steward that was terrible & clueless. Well actually one but it's a rarity. She would just wait until me and the other guy would watch the movie and vote whichever way we would. If we disagreed she'd go with whomever convinced her.

That's very rare.

We also learn from each other.

Best film watcher I ever worked with was in Ca. Hall of Famer jockey Darrell McHargue. I learned a ton from him. Lot's of others I've worked with either as announcer or fellow steward that were terrific. Walter Blum, Jeff Noe, Charlie Camac, Pete Pederson, Hubert Jones, Scott Chaney, Kim Sawyer, Grant Baker, Will Meyers, John Herbevaux, Dave Samuels, Albert Christianson, Kenny Church, Stan Bowker, Jorge Estrada, Jeff Williams, Tom Ward and many others.
You know the steward game.
Old 12-23-2023, 05:27 PM   #2283
SBD400

I gotta around to grading Saturday’s races today. I had already watched that replay 25 times last week, but watched another 10 times today. What a horrible call. 1 should have been DQed, he came out on 7, 7 took space of the 11, hard to tell whether they made contact, but the 11 seemed to overreact to 7 and basically took himself out of race. 12 did nothing other than being next to 11.

Stewards cited pressure??? What do they consider the garbage Irad does frequently?? I have seen Irad come out into the lane of another horse, make contact twice and not get DQed. But pressure with no contact is a DQ?
SBD400 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2023, 06:05 PM   #2284
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBD400 View Post
I gotta around to grading Saturday’s races today. I had already watched that replay 25 times last week, but watched another 10 times today. What a horrible call. 1 should have been DQed, he came out on 7, 7 took space of the 11, hard to tell whether they made contact, but the 11 seemed to overreact to 7 and basically took himself out of race. 12 did nothing other than being next to 11.

Stewards cited pressure??? What do they consider the garbage Irad does frequently?? I have seen Irad come out into the lane of another horse, make contact twice and not get DQed. But pressure with no contact is a DQ?

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 12-23-2023 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Actually Stewards are required to be excellent, trained race watchers.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-24-2023, 08:49 AM   #2285
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBD400 View Post

Pressure with no contact can very much be a foul. However that's NOT what happened here. should not have been DQ'd.
Old 12-24-2023, 02:54 PM   #2286
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Pressure with no contact can very much be a foul. However that's NOT what happened here. should not have been DQ'd.
In all my years watching racing, I've never once heard the term pressure used to explain a DQ until this one.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-24-2023, 04:42 PM   #2287
aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
In all my years watching racing, I've never once heard the term pressure used to explain a DQ until this one.
That is because they have run out of excuses for their incompetences ,so they made up a new one.
aaron is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-25-2023, 10:49 AM   #2288
v j stauffer

Quote:
Hope you're feeling better.

It's actually not that uncommon in explanations CJ.

What I've experienced myself the most is when running down the backstretch an outside horse will continue to angle in without sufficient clearance. Many inside will react without being contacted. Eventually the one's nearest the rail have to get out of dodge or get dropped.

Codex provided pressure to Genuine Risk in the Preakness. Never touched her but was correctly DQ'ed.

Merry Christmas to all the PA'ers.
Old 12-25-2023, 12:31 PM   #2289
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:

What I've experienced myself the most is when running down the backstretch an outside horse will continue to angle in without sufficient clearance. Many inside will react without being contacted. Eventually the one's nearest the rail have to get out of dodge or get dropped.

Codex provided pressure to Genuine Risk in the Preakness. Never touched her but was correctly DQ'ed.

Thanks, better today than yesterday so looking up.

I get what it is, just have never heard it used in an explanation over the PA. But as much racing as I've watched, I'm sure I've missed many more.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-25-2023, 01:30 PM   #2290
the little guy

Quote:
Thanks, better today than yesterday so looking up.

I get what it is, just have never heard it used in an explanation over the PA. But as much racing as I've watched, I'm sure I've missed many more.
Codex was disqualified in the Preakness? Wow, you learn something new every day. Has anyone told the connections?
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-25-2023, 02:10 PM   #2291
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
The steward's posting covering their decision is now available. Surely, this is the insight we have been awaiting...

... or not. Brick Ambush came in. Thanks for that.
I agree with ruling. Looking at the cultivation lines, Brick Ambush came in 2-3 feet nearing top of stretch before cleared. Luckily no horses clipped heals and/or caused a chain reaction crash.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-25-2023, 02:16 PM   #2292
mountainman

Quote:

Merry Xmas, Vic. I'm sure this holiday season finds you upbeat and well-situated.

Health and happiness to the entire board, as well.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-25-2023, 05:15 PM   #2293
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Codex was disqualified in the Preakness? Wow, you learn something new every day. Has anyone told the connections?
Good call.

I guess I "thought" he should have been.
Old 12-25-2023, 05:17 PM   #2294
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Merry Xmas, Vic. I'm sure this holiday season finds you upbeat and well-situated.

Health and happiness to the entire board, as well.
Thanks pal. All the best to you and your family.
Old 12-25-2023, 05:18 PM   #2295
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
I agree with ruling. Looking at the cultivation lines, Brick Ambush came in 2-3 feet nearing top of stretch before cleared. Luckily no horses clipped heals and/or caused a chain reaction crash.
What's a cultivation line?