Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 09-17-2023, 01:32 PM   #16
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin Stones View Post
With 40,000 students on campus I had one lecture with a football player, total. He never showed up except to take the tests. I knew nothing of Woody. There weren't any basketball or football players that I knew of in the engineering programs. I was always more of a basketball junkie anyway.
The flavor of the off campus scene at that time were the vanilla students from off campus and dorms, the Greeks who kept to themselves and the townies who were young people of Columbus that enjoyed hanging around campus.
At that time, Columbus had no major league franchises. So, football Saturday was the thing for everybody around Columbus. If you didn't have a student ticket to the game, you needed serious money to get a ticket. A lot of students bought a season pass just to resell it.

Are you claiming a lot of powerhouse D1 football programs have a bunch of players that should be academically ineligible?

I went to a D3 school where we all went to class, during the UC and State school purge of football programs in Cali. In SoCal alone I think about 10 programs bit the dust between 1977-82. What was strange is damn near every community college kept their football programs. Here in Virginia none of the community colleges have football. Public schools in Cali used to get a lot of financial support from taxes and then the lotto. I was shocked hearing the fees community college kids pay here when a girlfriend's son attended. Not sure about know, but back in my day community college was damn near free in Cali and State and UC schools were very reasonable. Books damn near cost as much as tuition.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2023, 03:38 PM   #17
Bustin Stones

One of the worst kept secrets in America is that a D1 football or basketball player is required to be a real student taking real courses. It's always nice if they are and do, but it should surprise no one that it's the minor leagues for the NFL and NBA. It isn't keeping anyone else from getting a real education. If these numbnuts want to piss away an amazing chance to learn something, who am I to deny them?
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2023, 04:28 PM   #18
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin Stones View Post
One of the worst kept secrets in America is that a D1 football or basketball player is required to be a real student taking real courses. It's always nice if they are and do, but it should surprise no one that it's the minor leagues for the NFL and NBA. It isn't keeping anyone else from getting a real education. If these numbnuts want to piss away an amazing chance to learn something, who am I to deny them?

The NBA needs to go back to drafting 18 year olds and I would like to see the draft expanded. I would also like to see the end of the one and done programs in the NCAA. Not sure what rules would need to be in place. No problem with a player who attends class and whose play miraculously improves applying for the draft after a year. It is the ones that go to Duke or Kentucky that you know would not have if the NBA drafted 18 year olds I have an issue with. They are also taking a scholarship away from someone who might make good use of it.

As for the NFL, I believe they should financially support a USFL or equivalent.
Pay the players a minimum of a living wage. Players with no interest in getting an education can go there instead of college.

I don't have any issues with the one and done players as the 12th man on an NBA makes over a million dollars a year.

Speaking of one and done if you go back 10 years both Duke and Kentucky had 25 of them, to me that is BS.

Last edited by Inner Dirt; 09-17-2023 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-17-2023, 06:00 PM   #19
davew

it depends on what he did and if it is related to his current profession or job area

if he was a bookkeeper and embezzled millions, would you want him near your books?

if he was a contractor and charged for stuff he did not do, would you want to give him a bid on your proposed remodel?
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2023, 06:08 PM   #20
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
it depends on what he did and if it is related to his current profession or job area

if he was a bookkeeper and embezzled millions, would you want him near your books?

if he was a contractor and charged for stuff he did not do, would you want to give him a bid on your proposed remodel?

Wouldn't that just be a civil matter and not criminal?
Old 09-17-2023, 06:18 PM   #21
Tor Ekman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
No, it’s fraud and it’s criminal
Tor Ekman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2023, 08:08 PM   #22
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I am not sure (not a lawyer) - could depend on state, number of victims and dollars involved
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2023, 10:13 PM   #23
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
I am not sure (not a lawyer) - could depend on state, number of victims and dollars involved

I actually played lawyer twice and won cases for my clients. Right before I struck out on my own 30 years ago when I first got internet. A couple co-workers had their attorney botch their immigration cases and received letters of deportation. The only reason I took their cases were due to the fact they already had resident alien cards, if my memory served me correct and unlike most of their kind did not cheat on their taxes. Like most minorities they were overly trusting of people with the same heritage. Their problem was caused by paperwork that was filed late, improperly filled out and some needed forms were never filed. I learned a lot about our screwed up system processing immigrants.

I was a supervisor but kind of like an older brother to the Asians and Mexicans that were fairly new to the country. I was amazed that a hack attorney like they had could graduate law school and pass the bar. It could have been he was either spreading himself thin by working in areas he wasn't educated in or using inept help.

I got everything straightened out about 3 months before I left that place. They told me how much they wasted on that attorney and asked what they owed me. I told them a bottle of tequila and a lunch or two would be fine. I got 3 months of free lunches, and too many bottles of Sauza and twelve packs of Corona to count.
Old 09-17-2023, 10:26 PM   #24
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor Ekman View Post
No, it’s fraud and it’s criminal

Doesn't the circumstance and amount matter? I did some small scale DOD (Department of Defense) contract work. Failure to perform to the specifics of the contract could result in non payment and re-issuance of the contract to the next lowest bidder, or an allowance to make good on the contract with financial penalties. That was all in the fine print, I always completed the work on time and to specifications.

What would happen if it was a project involving numerous sub contractors who did not complete their part of the work, or did it unsatisfactorily?

Are they going to through the general contractor in jail? No idea, just asking.
Old 09-17-2023, 11:04 PM   #25
Tor Ekman

The hypothetical was a contractor charging for work that he did not perform, not failing to complete work on time or satisfactorily … charging for work which hasn’t been performed is text book fraud which can be be prosecuted criminally but often is not if restitution is made. It can also be grounds for a civil action.
Tor Ekman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2023, 11:08 PM   #26
newtothegame

The only thing I would say, for whatever it's worth, ....

How do you know what the president is doing?
How about anyone in Congress?
How about anything you know (without first hand knowledge)??

It's do to the internet and the world of info that is at our finger tips. Now of course, some info is bad and you haver to decipher through it.

But I for one am glad we have a whole world of info at our fingers.... Both good and bad!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men,deriving their just powers from the consent of the
governed.
newtothegame is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2023, 11:45 PM   #27
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor Ekman View Post
The hypothetical was a contractor charging for work that he did not perform, not failing to complete work on time or satisfactorily … charging for work which hasn’t been performed is text book fraud which can be be prosecuted criminally but often is not if restitution is made. It can also be grounds for a civil action.

What about if it is a failure of a sub, that the general hired, is the general responsible?