Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-18-2023, 03:25 PM   #106
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I know everyone will tell me why it can't be done, but racing should really cancel on bad weather days. People will adjust and life will go on and the racing will be tons better when the weather is good.

Does NYRA really need to be handing out 150k to two trainers in a three horse race and also lose those horses running back for another 6 weeks?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2023, 03:49 PM   #107
aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I know everyone will tell me why it can't be done, but racing should really cancel on bad weather days. People will adjust and life will go on and the racing will be tons better when the weather is good.

Does NYRA really need to be handing out 150k to two trainers in a three horse race and also lose those horses running back for another 6 weeks?
Isn't it interesting it is always the big time trainers getting the free money.Agree with your idea, but that is really forward thinking.It would even be better if they cancelled races with less than 4 horses.
aaron is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2023, 11:08 AM   #108
Sheffwed

turf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheffwed View Post
That's what they have at NYRA, geniuses...

This week's fiasco is a procession of short fields, Winter @ Aqueduct level quality, guaranteed to continue all week, 5 races carded on the Turf on Friday with Thunderstorms forecast at 100% likely for Thurs night

Way to read a weather forecast guys, Friday should be just great, was going to go but yeesh...

and more races off the turf today, fun!

okay, let me see if I can figure this out - if the idea was to "save the turf" for Travers week, I get it - there isn't much rain in the forecast for next wk (fingers crossed)

but if so, why card so many turf races yesterday and today that have to come off?

and if the current turf courses are so very fragile, esp. around the final turn and just after, why card so many 5 1/2 turf sprints for the past few years at the Spa? (which are random number generators for the most part, by the way)

top level mgmt practice at NYRA at work

at some point, someone will look at how HK and Colonial manage to maintain perfect turf courses and spend a bit of money on drainage

here's how they do this in Minor League Baseball in NY State - took about 5 seconds doing Google searches to find this

https://www.milb.com/news/gcs-14498226
Sheffwed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2023, 11:33 AM   #109
aaron

This stuff is really funny. Everyone trying to compare handle. Next year if the weather is good and handle is up,we will hear how well they are doing. You can’t control the weather and from what I can see they are really doing their best under awful circumstances. Weather is the least of their problems. Let’s at least complain about things they can actually do better with.
aaron is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2023, 11:43 AM   #110
wisconsin

Quote:

okay, let me see if I can figure this out - if the idea was to "save the turf" for Travers week, I get it - there isn't much rain in the forecast for next wk (fingers crossed)

but if so, why card so many turf races yesterday and today that have to come off?

and if the current turf courses are so very fragile, esp. around the final turn and just after, why card so many 5 1/2 turf sprints for the past few years at the Spa? (which are random number generators for the most part, by the way)

top level mgmt practice at NYRA at work

at some point, someone will look at how HK and Colonial manage to maintain perfect turf courses and spend a bit of money on drainage

here's how they do this in Minor League Baseball in NY State - took about 5 seconds doing Google searches to find this

https://www.milb.com/news/gcs-14498226

Once again, have to remind you that the weather has nothing to do with the races scheduled.

The condition book, which are the races "carded", again, was written weeks ago. The extras don't often fill, and these cards are drawn 4 or 5 days in advance.

When they talk about "saving" the course, they are talking about not running on the grass when it's soft, to avoid chunks of grass and potholes.

Stop acting like they are dumb and wrote these races 2 days ago. It doesn't work that way.

Last edited by cj; 08-19-2023 at 11:47 AM.
wisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2023, 02:24 PM   #111
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron View Post
This stuff is really funny. Everyone trying to compare handle. Next year if the weather is good and handle is up,we will hear how well they are doing. You can’t control the weather and from what I can see they are really doing their best under awful circumstances. Weather is the least of their problems. Let’s at least complain about things they can actually do better with.
you may be overestimating the positivity

Agree 100% on the sentiment. Ed Derosa is a solid character and racing personality. I think I don't have anything against him. He was posting detailed 'stats' comparing this funky weather and short carded fields so far in pure handle vs last year... Sillyness if it's out of context...
Old 08-19-2023, 02:38 PM   #112
alhattab

Quote:

I thought (obviously wrongly) that cancelling in bad weather would be an outcome of injury scrutiny in recent years. I don't know if there is hard evidence that more injuries occur in, or immediately after, off track races. Would be tough in some circumstances though like highly seasonal meets like Oaklawn and Monmouth, and destination meets like Saratoga, Del Mar and Oaklawn
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2023, 03:06 PM   #113
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhattab View Post
I thought (obviously wrongly) that cancelling in bad weather would be an outcome of injury scrutiny in recent years. I don't know if there is hard evidence that more injuries occur in, or immediately after, off track races. Would be tough in some circumstances though like highly seasonal meets like Oaklawn and Monmouth, and destination meets like Saratoga, Del Mar and Oaklawn
I think it is definite that more injuries occur on off tracks, turf and dirt.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2023, 03:46 PM   #114
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin View Post
Once again, have to remind you that the weather has nothing to do with the races scheduled.

The condition book, which are the races "carded", again, was written weeks ago. The extras don't often fill, and these cards are drawn 4 or 5 days in advance.

When they talk about "saving" the course, they are talking about not running on the grass when it's soft, to avoid chunks of grass and potholes.

Stop acting like they are dumb and wrote these races 2 days ago. It doesn't work that way.
Fascinating study in ignorance by some of these people, right? They proclaim how dumb someone else is while at the same time offering up these simple, BRILLIANT solutions...all the time not realizing how the game works.
Old 08-19-2023, 05:22 PM   #115
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:

Why don't you play those tracks, then?

Why do they card so many turf races?
Well, I don't like it either, but, turf races fill and they create handle.

How about this, you make a prop bet every day, over/under for total scatches?

They give you lemons, SQEEZE 'EM1
Old 08-19-2023, 06:54 PM   #116
alhattab

Quote:
I think it is definite that more injuries occur on off tracks, turf and dirt.
I've always thought so, too based on looking at a lot of PPs, but don't have any hard evidence to prove it
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2023, 10:38 PM   #117
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by $w1fT View Post
And a few dirt races really got affected by scratches.

This meet has really been poor.
Poor? Define "poor"...The track management cannot control the weather.
BTW, in 2022, the weather in upstate NY was much drier. Only a handful of turf races were lost.
It is what it is....The Spa has been in existence for nearly 160 years.
Yeah, the weather has been a challenge during the first 4 plus weeks of the meeting. It happens. Everyone is doing the best they can.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2023, 11:05 PM   #118
$w1fT
SaratogaFan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah View Post
Poor? Define "poor"...The track management cannot control the weather.
BTW, in 2022, the weather in upstate NY was much drier. Only a handful of turf races were lost.
It is what it is....The Spa has been in existence for nearly 160 years.
Yeah, the weather has been a challenge during the first 4 plus weeks of the meeting. It happens. Everyone is doing the best they can.
The carded mile chute races are poor. Most are fields below 8 horses which makes it unappealing from a betting standpoint for me.

Make the lead and win or play pinball at the gate. Those are the two outcomes in these races. Very difficult to handicap too and for some reason the 7f dirt races have been sacrificed at its expense.

You have the ability to run dirt races at so many more distances on the dirt than the turf which is essentially limited to 5.5f, 8f, and 8.5 with the occasional marathon race. So let’s card 6 turf races and then be at the mercy of the weather.
$w1fT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2023, 11:56 PM   #119
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by $w1fT View Post
The carded mile chute races are poor. Most are fields below 8 horses which makes it unappealing from a betting standpoint for me.

Make the lead and win or play pinball at the gate. Those are the two outcomes in these races. Very difficult to handicap too and for some reason the 7f dirt races have been sacrificed at its expense.

You have the ability to run dirt races at so many more distances on the dirt than the turf which is essentially limited to 5.5f, 8f, and 8.5 with the occasional marathon race. So let’s card 6 turf races and then be at the mercy of the weather.
Give it a rest. It's tired whining.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2023, 01:45 AM   #120
Publius

I just spent four days at Saratoga Racecourse and had a fantatsic time while
having worst betting time of my life. What a magnificent place to attend the races and forget about everything in the world. We laughed a lot, met characters you see only once a year. Ate well, I recommend Pennell's veal. Mama Mia's was good too as was Augie's a few miles south of the track.
Publius is offline   Reply With Quote Reply