Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-10-2023, 12:52 PM   #16
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
At which tracks can executives “overrule” stewards? I’ll give you a hint…none.
I do think the steward situation needs to be addressed in New York. They simply aren't very good on a lot of fronts and one guy has way too much power for a three person "team."
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2023, 12:58 PM   #17
aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
At which tracks can executives “overrule” stewards? I’ll give you a hint…none.
What is the CEO's job, if he can't make a common sense judgement ? What you are telling me is that the stewards are in charge of racing, even if the race has not been run and it pertains to betting, not the horses safety. I am sure you are right,it just doesn't make sense.
aaron is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2023, 01:07 PM   #18
ScottJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron View Post
What is the CEO's job, if he can't make a common sense judgement ? What you are telling me is that the stewards are in charge of racing, even if the race has not been run and it pertains to betting, not the horses safety. I am sure you are right,it just doesn't make sense.
Why can't Stephane Bancel, Moderna CEO, put out new drugs based on lab and trial data internally collected? Bancel might have a new vaccine in the pipeline that could absolutely prevent the next pandemic, but cannot just launch it. Drug delivery is a highly regulated industry which (through the FDA) prevents drugs from magically appearing on shelves. Despite all of the regulation, occasionally drugs are released (Zantac to name one) that have impacts not seen on launch. So, if the CEO cannot control his own business, what exactly does he do?

Take this to horse racing. Wagering is highly regulated and, occasionally, there are regulations that did not anticipate different situations as evidenced by the debate here on the message board over the last several days. The stewards are present to provide oversight of the regulations. The CEO is there to operate the business under those oversight regulations.
ScottJ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2023, 01:23 PM   #19
aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
Why can't Stephane Bancel, Moderna CEO, put out new drugs based on lab and trial data internally collected? Bancel might have a new vaccine in the pipeline that could absolutely prevent the next pandemic, but cannot just launch it. Drug delivery is a highly regulated industry which (through the FDA) prevents drugs from magically appearing on shelves. Despite all of the regulation, occasionally drugs are released (Zantac to name one) that have impacts not seen on launch. So, if the CEO cannot control his own business, what exactly does he do?

Take this to horse racing. Wagering is highly regulated and, occasionally, there are regulations that did not anticipate different situations as evidenced by the debate here on the message board over the last several days. The stewards are present to provide oversight of the regulations. The CEO is there to operate the business under those oversight regulations.
I understand your point, but this is not Apples to Apples. A CEO at a racetrack should be able to be part of common sense decision making, especially in regards to its bettors/customers.In NY which racing is not run for profit you should be able to protect your customers. The thought that the stewards are running everything is frightening when it comes to being efficient. Just my opinion. I am sure others will have opinions on the stewards running the track.
Old 08-10-2023, 01:30 PM   #20
aaron

I guess a better question would be "where does the buck stop" ? In racing apparently the buck stops with the stewards and when they screw up, the CEO apologizes for them. Just saying.
Old 08-10-2023, 01:47 PM   #21
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
Not able to be anticipated doesn't really apply since it happened last year.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2023, 02:11 PM   #22
GMB@BP

This feels like a really bad set of specific circumstances and is probably on the lower side of issues that really are affecting players.

They should have delayed the start 10 minutes after the announcement. Not sure why they went right away, TV?

This doesnt happen often and clearly was an error, those things happen.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2023, 05:02 PM   #23
Bustin Stones

David's explanation was vague PR. His people told him to go on and take responsibility and offer little else. (not sure how his falling on a sword helps anyone) We don't know what happened in any detail and we won't know the next time. So, how do they get away with that?
Because you know and he knows it isn't going to change anything. The same people are going to bet the same money on NYRA racing regardless of his answers. So, why offer anything of substance? We don't even know if anything can change because we haven't been told the details of what happened.
Are we going to stop gambling? Good luck demanding answers.
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-10-2023, 05:10 PM   #24
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin Stones View Post
David's explanation was vague PR. His people told him to go on and take responsibility and offer little else. (not sure how his falling on a sword helps anyone) We don't know what happened in any detail and we won't know the next time. So, how do they get away with that?
Because you know and he knows it isn't going to change anything. The same people are going to bet the same money on NYRA racing regardless of his answers. So, why offer anything of substance? We don't even know if anything can change because we haven't been told the details of what happened.
Are we going to stop gambling? Good luck demanding answers.
You are making things up.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply