Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-11-2019, 04:49 PM   #46
coachv30

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
I was in that 7-11 a bunch of times. I MUST have known you, even if I didn't know who you were. And based on this story, I wish did know you because you seem cool as hell.
This was the 7-Eleven all the way down right before I-95, next to the Pizza Hut.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:50 PM   #47
coachv30

Quote:
Originally Posted by therover View Post
coach...did you ever frequent Liberty Bell back in the day or Garden State Park ?
No...I was a bit too young for Liberty Bell. I wish there was a harness track close to me. The closest is Harrahs Chester (about 50 minutes) and I hate that track. I have been to GSP however.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:27 PM   #48
ultracapper

Honestly can't remember which was the largest, but the "new car" winner reminds me of an early career significant score.

It was at Longacres, late 80s, my wife had been complaining about our old patio furniture. I remember I had $90wp on a horse that paid $17 give or take. Stopped at Fred Meyers on the way home and spent around $800 on new patio furniture. Came home and said to the wife, "look what I won at the track today".

My first 4 figure score was the Unbridled/Summer Squall exacta in the KD. I had a $10xb and $10wps on Unbridled. I think the return just snuck over a grand.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2019, 03:41 PM   #49
Appy

None qualify exactly as my biggest score ever, but THE RACE that has been most kind to me, repeatedly, is the Belmont Stakes. This year was no exception. Had it top thru super with my top 5 horses so I didn't have to spend a lot to cash what I got out of the deal.
Creator, Tonalist were also very good to me.
I think the highest paying winner I have had was the 10 horse (a beautiful grey) at Indy Dns several years ago. I posted and talked about it with a number of my friends as it was an extremely exciting race and I think my horse paid something like $118.
My biggest scores ever came in exotic plays and those were a number of years back, before I ever even heard of this board. Haven't hit anything really large for quite a spell now.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:11 PM   #50
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GCFAN View Post
Brings back unpleasant memories. Thought both would be run down in the stretch. Wrong!!

Probably the best place these days for a big score is at the harness races. Small pools often send out 1-5 and 1/9 horses that should be even money at best. Last Saturday at the Meadows a Ron Burke horse at 94-1 beat a 6-5 in a stakes. A 89-1 shot was third. They were paying some alls' in the tri and super.

Later that day at Pocono a 1/9 finished second to a 27-1 shot first and a 40-1 third resulting in one winning .50 tri and two winning .10 supers.
A horse a couple days ago at Harrah’s Philadelphia paid $447 to win, so I can certainly attest to this statement. A bomb at the trotters is more likely to land you an entire pool.
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2019, 01:20 PM   #51
airford1

Most memorable was at Old Caliente in Tj, Mexico. Our horse ran 2nd in the trifecta and I took the pool for little over 8 grand back in the early 80's. Real nervous coming home with cash like that when the tellers at the track only made 2 bucks a day.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2019, 08:28 PM   #52
thespaah

Largest win payoff ....Some non descript turf race at Saratoga. The reason why I remember the name "Dr David Nathan" was because it was named Dr David Nathan. That was a $35 winner.
Biggest exacta, $350.
Biggest trifecta $580.
Biggest super..10 cent super at Lone Star Park paid just under $300.
Biggest pick 4 was a paltry $120. Thats because I was told by someone that West Point Thoroughbreds had 4 live ones in four successive races. the first three won. All were either favored or second choice.
The 4th leg was.....You guessed it, the favorite.
Dont know if this applies but.....In the 70's and 80's on saturdays there was the Racing from Yonkers/Roosevelt show on WWOR TV out of New York.
They had a $3 OTB Pick 4.
I bet one at Roosevelt. Being of small budget I singled 2 of the four rcaes. The other I had two each.
I hit the first three legs. During the roll up to the start the hosts would announce the probably pays. Mine was $1300.
My horse won....And lo and behold.....Got pulled down for interference.....Now in 1981, that was a ton of cash....Ok, I stand down...
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2019, 09:21 PM   #53
hyipro

I had to nice one, year was mid 1980's. in those days I used paid tipsters, he
gave horse at Bel. to win Bet $500.00 paid $150.00 To win that was my first nice
one the horses name was DANDY CANDY,,,,,,,,,,,,

The second was about 10 years ago entered a e mail contest, for a new
electric car called Fisker Karma, I won had my choice to take the car
or the cash, car was worth $125,000 or the cash $95,000, I took the
cash, had to pay $45,000 in tax fed and state, but it was still a nice
score from an e mail contest.
hyipro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2019, 09:42 PM   #54
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
It was April 12, 1991 when La Gueriere won as a FTS at 9-1:

http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbP...AY=D&STYLE=EQB
Note the purse distribution ..To 4th place.
Shame Equibase does not have complete information.
Which begs the question..Where does one go to find charts from the past?
Equibase goes back to 1991.
I'd like to see the charts with payoffs and pool totals. Just as they may have appeared in the DRF....
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2019, 12:31 AM   #55
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah View Post
Note the purse distribution ..To 4th place.
Shame Equibase does not have complete information.
Which begs the question..Where does one go to find charts from the past?
Equibase goes back to 1991.
I'd like to see the charts with payoffs and pool totals. Just as they may have appeared in the DRF....
I actually plan to someday go to the library in San Francisco to dig up charts from 1950.

I have a feeling that the speed figures run by Noor and Citation that year, when they broke a bunch of world records and set marks that stood in some cases for decades, are off the charts good.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2019, 03:48 AM   #56
Augenj
Top Horse Analytics

$5 Exacta Box ($10) on a 15/1 and 20/1 morning line at Hollywood Park in the early 1970's. Paid $1,327.50, a number I haven't forgot since I needed it so badly in those days.

$20 future book bet on Winning Colors at the Gold Coast (Las Vegas) back when they did that in 1988. 60 to 1 and returned $1,220.00.
Augenj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2019, 08:13 AM   #57
rrpic6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
War Emblem and Funny Cide were berry berry good to me.......

CJ, Where you at??????

I know, this thread comes back every couple of years..........

Almost 20 years since this happened:Only Pick 6 ticket at Bay Meadows.

http://www.equibase.com/premium/char...05/1999&cy=USA

2 weeks later had 5 5 of 6 at Hollywood Park:

http://www.equibase.com/premium/char...10/1999&cy=USA

IRS after me for 3 years after those 2 hits.

Failed to put in a $600 Pick 6 ticket. IRS would have been hunting again. Did hit the Pick 4 and Trifecta in Ky. Derby. War Emblem/All/All/

http://www.equibase.com/premium/char...04/2002&cy=USA

Last big hit. Lone Star BC Pick 4 on my own. 5 of 6 multiple tickets for Winticket Player's Pool:

http://www.equibase.com/premium/char...30/2004&cy=USA

Just play for fun mostly now. No more big tickets. Less stress being semi-retired.

RR
Old 09-17-2019, 12:18 PM   #58
deathandgravity

Runner up:
2004 Breeders Cup Classic P4
Singled to Ghostzapper in the final leg.
Think the $1 P4 payout was around 24K. Split it with 3 other friends: ~$5800

May 2018 - Santa Anita
P4 with Soi Phet winning @ 47-1 & 25-1 maiden paid $14,800 on a $96 bet.

Astounded with the payout
deathandgravity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2019, 11:09 PM   #59
Si2see

These are my favorite posts , I unlike many gamblers LOVE to hear other people’s winning stories.

I have never hit over $5000 on a ticket , I don’t even think I could place a number on how many I have hit , if I had to guess I could pull 50-100 tickets on my adw’s that paid between $500-$4200 in my almost exactly 16 years of horse race wagering( tomorrow I turn 34, first wager placed was on my 18th birthday we went to Charles town because at the time it was 18 and up they only had slots no table games yet ).

I remember so many winners which until I see a thread like this , or hear about a big contest score on a racing podcast , are often forgotten why we actually play this game, most of us to try to make a big score , to be dead right on a race , or race card , weekend, etc. That is why we all play this game.

Some of my better stories reflecting back on the years in no particular order

- 2006 Breeders cup. Went to the otb to play my favorite weekend of every year ( still is ), had to work Friday but went with $500 bucks on Saturday. Lost EVERY single race. Drove home and walked in the door a few minutes before the classic. I couldn’t believe one of my favorite horses ( that I was fortunate enough to see and crush in person at pimlico ) Invasor was walking to the gate at such a big number in my eyes. Jumped on Xpressbet deposited my last $100 , he wins and pays exactly $700 back

- December 2013. Hollywood Park was one of my all time favorite and best tracks to handicap. My biggest racing regret is never going out before it closed. I think I had two larger scores in the last month but I would have to go and pull the adw up to see the other, however I will never in my life forget I played a single x all $2 double I loved a horse ( 1 horse ) that came right up the fence to win at a decent price. Next race I thought was a chaos race , sure enough with some excitement I think the horse that won was around 40 or 50-1. I will NEVER forget when payouts posted Vic announced it was the second largest daily double payout in Hollywood Park history. Double paid $3,728

Some not as thought out stories =
- 10/29/2009 $ 0.50 SF hit at Penn National for $ 3,564.40 absolutely pegged the race , then a few days later 11/07/2009 popped SA $ 2,923.40 $1 pick 3.

- I got moved up into a very nice pick 4 score at Gulfstream however that was the due to the disqualification ( which everyone remembers the post here ) where they took the line winning rainbow 6 ticket from the guy by making the change

- a buddy of mine in his late 40s early 50s ( who has had a tough 10 years lost his wife , has been struck by lightning, now has a drug addict girlfriend who is my age ) and I split a pick 4 at otb on a cd card I believe ( someone can check my memory on this one not on adw ) had rosemary homesiter jr to win a leg and she did. I think that ticket paid $2,700 each and was one of his larger scores ever and one of the larger split wagers I’ve ever had.

- Best day ever Judy the beauty breeders cup started me off with a bang caught the trifecta and superfecta , caught several more tickets that day but Best was Karakontie on big double alive to a few horses in classic including Bayern and Toast of New York. Not including California Chrome. Longest inquiry of my life could’ve made an extra $6000 or so if toast of New York gets moved up , however could’ve lost the $3000 or so that my ticket paid with Bayern.

Gosh I love this game !!!

Last edited by Si2see; 09-19-2019 at 11:17 PM.
Si2see is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2019, 10:22 AM   #60
spiketoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper View Post
Honestly can't remember which was the largest, but the "new car" winner reminds me of an early career significant score.

It was at Longacres, late 80s, my wife had been complaining about our old patio furniture. I remember I had $90wp on a horse that paid $17 give or take. Stopped at Fred Meyers on the way home and spent around $800 on new patio furniture. Came home and said to the wife, "look what I won at the track today".

My first 4 figure score was the Unbridled/Summer Squall exacta in the KD. I had a $10xb and $10wps on Unbridled. I think the return just snuck over a grand.
Yep, no harm whatsoever spreading it around. There's a mall right next to SA that you have to drive by to exit on Baldwin. On 'good' days, many stops were made at Nordstroms to pick up a new purse for the Fairest of All Fair Maidens. Got that Nordy service where I walked in and they knew to ask 'so which exacta did you hit 20X'!

Good times.
spiketoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply