Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapper's Corner

Old 04-05-2015, 01:39 PM   #1
Capper Al

Likes and dislikes of data source

My primary data source is BRIS Multicaps.

BRIS Multicaps Past Performance Data

The link above is about class ratings found in the Multicaps data. BRIS does a good job identifying the class of the racing field (Race Rating or RR) and the class of the horse's performance in the race (Class Rating or CR). BRIS' race shapes, speed, and pace are good also. But the class ratings are what is of supreme value over all other data sources.

What I don't like about BRIS Multicaps is the additional data that BRIS has that is missing, lack of the previous full season post stats, dam and sire stats, and (unforgivable) the outdated documentation.

Here's Multicaps' data layout, not up to date.

BRIS Multicaps data layout

Please share what you like or dislike about your data source here. After all, no one can handicap better than their data. The old saying is garbage in and garbage out. It also applies in reverse, good stuff in and good stuff out.

Thanks

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Last edited by Capper Al; 04-05-2015 at 01:40 PM.
Capper Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-06-2015, 07:37 AM   #2
acorn54

capper al
my first reaction to your disatisfaction is, why don't you change the data you use?
there are a few others. personally i use multicaps, and i KNOW there are others i can use however for the cost/benefit i will stick with multicaps.
you can't have your cake and eat it too.
acorn54 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-06-2015, 10:40 AM   #3
Capper Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorn54
capper al
my first reaction to your disatisfaction is, why don't you change the data you use?
there are a few others. personally i use multicaps, and i KNOW there are others i can use however for the cost/benefit i will stick with multicaps.
you can't have your cake and eat it too.
What I stated was my opinions of the pro and cons of Multicaps. The pro's outweigh the cons in my opinion also. So I'm sticking with it. This doesn't stop me from wondering what other data sources are providing. If it is found that there is something of value in another data source, I would consider pulling that into my app. The problem with most of this is that Equibase is mostly a sole source for racing data leaving only fields derived (computed fields) by other PP's suppliers, such as BRIS' class ratings, to be what differentiates their data.

HDW data, Giles, Timeform US and Trackus might be considered a possibility for having added value items. Without buying them and making a study out of them, I have no way of knowing their value. An open discussion on this topic should benefit everyone.

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Old 04-06-2015, 11:35 AM   #4
acorn54

okay
this is my take on HDW data. according to other people that use the hdw data in jcapper format whom i have had contact with, hdw is far superior with their numbers. specifically the roi and win pct using the jcapper software with the numbers unique to those programs is significant enough to subscribe to hdw, according to those who have compared. i for one have not done so, but maybe those reading this discussion can chime in and comment.
acorn54 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-06-2015, 03:31 PM   #5
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorn54
okay
this is my take on HDW data. according to other people that use the hdw data in jcapper format whom i have had contact with, hdw is far superior with their numbers. specifically the roi and win pct using the jcapper software with the numbers unique to those programs is significant enough to subscribe to hdw, according to those who have compared. i for one have not done so, but maybe those reading this discussion can chime in and comment.
JCapper/HDW data, IMO, is superior to Brisnet in every category except running style assignments. But, if you only want to know how horses have run races when they ran "good" races, then they are fine. I however, want to know how horses "usually" run their races, it just works better with my modified Giles PPG (Pace Pressure Gauge). HDW vets the raw data much better than does Brisnet, so there are much fewer errors. It is basically a 3 man operation, which makes things nice, regarding developing a working relationship with them (and they absolutely do respond to all emails, unlike Brisnet). Their unlimited downloads plan beats Brisnet hands-down also.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America

Last edited by raybo; 04-06-2015 at 03:33 PM.
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-06-2015, 08:49 PM   #6
Capper Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo
JCapper/HDW data, IMO, is superior to Brisnet in every category except running style assignments. But, if you only want to know how horses have run races when they ran "good" races, then they are fine. I however, want to know how horses "usually" run their races, it just works better with my modified Giles PPG (Pace Pressure Gauge). HDW vets the raw data much better than does Brisnet, so there are much fewer errors. It is basically a 3 man operation, which makes things nice, regarding developing a working relationship with them (and they absolutely do respond to all emails, unlike Brisnet). Their unlimited downloads plan beats Brisnet hands-down also.
HDW has better RR and CR ratings than BRIS? Does HDW use shape in their pace? I pay $30/month for 15 multicaps and then $2.00 for each additional PP. ( I never go over the 15.) Does HDW offer a better deal for a weekend worrior?

Anatole France

Old 04-06-2015, 09:39 PM   #7
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capper Al
HDW has better RR and CR ratings than BRIS? Does HDW use shape in their pace? I pay $30/month for 15 multicaps and then $2.00 for each additional PP. ( I never go over the 15.) Does HDW offer a better deal for a weekend worrior?
Yes, I believe JCapper's RR and CR, pace and speed figures, pedigree rating, and power rating are as good or better than Brisnet's. JCapper provides the 1st and 2nd call race shapes similar to Brisnet's. Don't know what you mean by "Does HDW use shape in their pace?".

If 15 cards files is all you need per month, then Brisnet would be cheaper, but not better. If you need to do constant historical research and/or need to populate a database then, $89 a month for cards and results files for every track in North America, and also get the JCapper software for free, is a much better deal, IMO.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America

Last edited by raybo; 04-06-2015 at 09:40 PM.
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply