Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-09-2016, 01:53 PM   #166
JohnGalt1

Two points--

Unfortunately all charts in DRF, Bris, & Equibase do not show the new turf only fifty cent hi 5 payoffs and pools. I contacted Cby to let them know. Many winners are A/all/all/all/all and A/B/all./all/all. I'm certain the pools are small, but if one can even get the third place horse, they can win the pool in many races.

It always takes betters a while to figure out new bets.

And for those attending Canterbury in person, you can bet the following day's races. If you attend Saturday, you can bet Sunday's races and watch them on the computer from home.

Since I can't play Canterbury at home, this is the next best thing.
JohnGalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2016, 02:23 PM   #167
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt1
Two points--

Unfortunately all charts in DRF, Bris, & Equibase do not show the new turf only fifty cent hi 5 payoffs and pools. I contacted Cby to let them know. Many winners are A/all/all/all/all and A/B/all./all/all. I'm certain the pools are small, but if one can even get the third place horse, they can win the pool in many races.

It always takes betters a while to figure out new bets.

And for those attending Canterbury in person, you can bet the following day's races. If you attend Saturday, you can bet Sunday's races and watch them on the computer from home.

Since I can't play Canterbury at home, this is the next best thing.
The few hi 5 pools I've seen were all $350 or less. I've considered buying one ticket per race to try to scoop the pool by picking the first two finishers.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2016, 03:27 PM   #168
bello
Veteran

I find the feed painfully difficult to watch and that does not bode well to increase handle from off track. It is very dark, gloomy and difficult to follow your horse.
bello is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2016, 05:58 PM   #169
SuperPickle

I've been to Canterbury several times and love the track and really HOPE they grow handle but I'l sum up the track experience this way.

I went last summer on a Thursday night and they had 8,000 people there. It was like something out of 1972. I was floored by the crowd.

Here's the kicker even with 8,000 people they didn't do a million dollars. The people up there simply don't bet.

And here's the funniest part. I cashed a $300 ticket. The kid (and I use that correctly because he looked 16 and couldn't be older than 19) reacted the same way a teller from Belmont or Del Mar would have if I was cashing for $30,000. He literally exclaimed "whoooo!" and excused himself to get more money. He didn't even have $300 in the drawer.
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2016, 07:33 PM   #170
DeanT

That's an awesome story

They bet about $30 a person. They tell me it's up this meet. Prolly a few more dollars in the pockets of the locals with lower juice.
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2016, 02:35 AM   #171
Track Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPickle
I've been to Canterbury several times and love the track and really HOPE they grow handle but I'l sum up the track experience this way.

I went last summer on a Thursday night and they had 8,000 people there. It was like something out of 1972. I was floored by the crowd.

Here's the kicker even with 8,000 people they didn't do a million dollars. The people up there simply don't bet.

And here's the funniest part. I cashed a $300 ticket. The kid (and I use that correctly because he looked 16 and couldn't be older than 19) reacted the same way a teller from Belmont or Del Mar would have if I was cashing for $30,000. He literally exclaimed "whoooo!" and excused himself to get more money. He didn't even have $300 in the drawer.
Great story.

I think this is a good problem to have for Canterbury. Would you rather be trying to convince established bettors to come to the track or convince a crowd of 8,000 to wager on your product?
Old 06-10-2016, 11:02 AM   #172
SuperPickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Phantom
Great story.

I think this is a good problem to have for Canterbury. Would you rather be trying to convince established bettors to come to the track or convince a crowd of 8,000 to wager on your product?
I'm pretty sure they've never bet but I don't go back to the 80's and 90's there.

I'll tell you for atmosphere though it's worth the trip. Outside of Keeneland, Saratoga or Del Mar it was only time I've seen a full tarmac of people watching a race outside on a non stakes card.

Also really good concessions. They had a Famous Dave's in the track as well as a Buffalo Wild Wings Truck outside AND a craft beer bar! Not to mention a full sit down restaurant. And everyone was open on a week night.
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2016, 01:07 PM   #173
JohnGalt1

Update on the turf hi-5.

I checked the charts for Friday's races and the pools and payoffs are now listed. I guess it pays to contact someone at the track.

The final hi-5 went A/B/all/all/all. The pool was just over 1k and it paid $880, so one person took down the whole pool, which was more at 18% take out than the previous 23%.

I was also informed that a TRADITIONAL pick 5 will soon be offered. We'll see what their version of a traditional pick 5 will look like, but it won't be a SUCKER jackpot bet.

I will be going for the first time Sunday because I couldn't make before now, due to two birthdays, (do these people not believe in winter birthdays?) and minor health issues.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:56 PM   #174
mnmark

The cards are getting better. Tomorrow is a very nice card the 7th race is very nice turf race they are carding a lot more turf races this year.
mnmark is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2016, 02:19 PM   #175
JohnGalt1

Canterbury announced today that two changes will be made starting Thursday 6/16.

A $.50 pick 5 will be offered on the last 5 races. It will NOT be a jackpot bet. If no one hits all five, then 50% will be paid to betters with the most winners, and 50% will carryover to the next day.

They are tweaking the turf hi-5. If no one gets all five horses, 50% will be carried over to the next turf hi-5.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:43 PM   #176
RXB

http://www.drf.com/news/too-early-ga...akeouts-effect

All-sources total handle on the meet that began May 20 was $10,587,069, up 4.9 percent from $10,095,092 for the same number of days at the start of the 2015 racing season. Out-of-state handle on Canterbury’s races, the area the track hoped would most greatly expand because of its well-publicized takeout reduction, was $7,186,452, up 4.4 percent from $6,884,845. Ontrack handle is up 5.9 percent, from $3,210,247 to $3,400,617.

Canterbury’s blended takeout went from 20.5 percent in 2015 to 16 percent this year, so $1,411,393 was taken from handle last year compared with $1,149,832 from the same period this year.
RXB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2016, 12:28 AM   #177
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXB
http://www.drf.com/news/too-early-ga...akeouts-effect

All-sources total handle on the meet that began May 20 was $10,587,069, up 4.9 percent from $10,095,092 for the same number of days at the start of the 2015 racing season. Out-of-state handle on Canterbury’s races, the area the track hoped would most greatly expand because of its well-publicized takeout reduction, was $7,186,452, up 4.4 percent from $6,884,845. Ontrack handle is up 5.9 percent, from $3,210,247 to $3,400,617.

Canterbury’s blended takeout went from 20.5 percent in 2015 to 16 percent this year, so $1,411,393 was taken from handle last year compared with $1,149,832 from the same period this year.
So far, not good. That last number is the one that needs to go up-- the issue isn't whether lowering takeout increases handle but whether it increases it enough to increase revenues.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2016, 05:56 AM   #178
MonmouthParkJoe

I hope this works in so much that other tracks may follow suit. I think the bottom line is the customers preference for certain racing circuits. It is like anything else, you can lower the price all you want but if people dont care for it in the first place, it really doesnt matter.
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-30-2016, 09:20 PM   #179
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Check out race 4's Objection review (on the grass). The track lights are in the way (of actually seeing the horses bump eachother in the lane). You would think they would have a head on that is lower/without obstruction.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2016, 08:50 PM   #180
chadk66

attendance was 21k yesterday with 1.3m bet
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: