Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Trading The Financial Markets

Old 07-06-2017, 05:11 PM   #196
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkview_Pirate View Post
If one is banking on inflation, gold makes some sense - but all we've seen so far is "stag-flation", with only certain items rising in price, and wages remaining relatively stagnant. It's also odd that Western banks don't seem too interested in gold, and in spite of a couple of runs towards $1300, gold is currently range bound. It may take a war to break out of it.

Lots of stories about bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies in the news these days. Bitcoin never passed the smell test for me, but I didn't realize the inherent deflationary tendencies it has, if Denninger is right:

http://market-ticker.org/cgi-ticker/...ww?post=232141

Also, if you read the comments, it turns out the cryptocurrencies aren't very green either - using quite a bit of electricity for mining.....
the grain prices have been exploding without to much demand for them. however oil looks awful now.

so as far as inflation goes you have some mixed signals. in any event i am not making my decisions on gold based on other commodities, inflation or lack of. i am simply looking into the supply and demand curve and trying to figure out where the inflection points are.

since i have called the bottom on gold it has dropped almost $40 vs. the us dollar. its gone down almost every day for a month now on very light contract volume. this makes me wrong so far but i am not in a panic mode because i buy physical metals.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2017, 09:11 PM   #197
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonKelsey View Post
Is denninger ever right? seriously, I know who he is , but my gut tells he's me he's usually 100% wrong.
I should amend that , I haven't read him in quite a while, too many other sites, and just forget to. I recall liking most of his stuff when I did read. Think I confused him with some market pundit who is rarely right.
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2017, 09:18 PM   #198
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonKelsey View Post
I should amend that , I haven't read him in quite a while, too many other sites, and just forget to. I recall liking most of his stuff when I did read. Think I confused him with some market pundit who is rarely right.
Alton, is it Jim Cramer? Nate Silver?
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2017, 09:48 PM   #199
AltonKelsey
Veteran

No, Cramer is past his due date.

There are a pack of permabears that are right once every century or so.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:46 AM   #200
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Just went long @ 2416.50 with stop @ 2405
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2017, 11:53 AM   #201
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

stop moved to 2411.25
Old 07-07-2017, 12:35 PM   #202
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Stop moved to 2413
Old 07-07-2017, 01:46 PM   #203
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Stop to 2413.75
Old 07-07-2017, 04:01 PM   #204
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Got a reversal signal at 4pm...closed long @ 2422.75 and am now short @ 2422.75 with a stop @ 2433 lol
Old 07-07-2017, 04:15 PM   #205
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Exited the short @ 2422.75 so lost commission only there...

Profit for the day = 6.25 points
Old 07-08-2017, 10:19 AM   #206
Tape Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Got a reversal signal at 4pm...closed long @ 2422.75 and am now short @ 2422.75 with a stop @ 2433 lol
You took this trade knowing that you had to exit at the close, as you customarily do. Why? Does your system tell you that that last 15-minutes can produce that much value?
Tape Reader is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-09-2017, 08:55 PM   #207
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tape Reader View Post
You took this trade knowing that you had to exit at the close, as you customarily do. Why? Does your system tell you that that last 15-minutes can produce that much value?
Just saw this.

Any system can produce a signal at anytime, as long as you're using a timeframe small enough . 1m, 5m 15m etc.

That said, I'm surprised you'd act on an ES signal so late in the day, for a new trade.

imo, only a highly specialized system designed for that exact period would make sense, anything else would probably give pretty random results. But you have the stats so, maybe you see it as a good play.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:11 PM   #208
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tape Reader View Post
It's profitable, and has been over the many years tested, so I take it...is it hugely profitable? No. Could I chuck it and continue on whole? Yes. But why throw away money?

I had another "4pm" one today that I failed to post (it was the only trade today). Made a 1/2 point.

Call me a redboarder...

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 07-10-2017 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:37 PM   #209
Tape Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
It's profitable, and has been over the many years tested, so I take it...is it hugely profitable? No. Could I chuck it and continue on whole? Yes. But why throw away money?

I had another "4pm" one today that I failed to post (it was the only trade today). Made a 1/2 point.

Call me a redboarder...
The reason that I was asking was that I was curious about that “15-minute period.” I also have tested zillions of systems. “Sometimes” when the SPY is closed and the ES and options are still open, you can see some big moves in that 15-minute period. Nice trading!
Tape Reader is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2017, 05:40 PM   #210
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Very, very rarely though...It's usually a snooze-fest and when it does move, it usually finds its way back to where it was at 4pm half the time anyway...

But like I said, I studied it, and it's profitable the way I do it, so I'll continue to take the signals until I see otherwise.